1 cup strawberries, chopped up
3 tbsp granulated sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
6 tbsp unsalted butter, in cubes, slightly softened
2/3 cup cream or cold buttermilk
1. Preheat oven to 400 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Sprinkle fruit with 1/2 tbsp sugar and set aside. Combine remaining sugar with flour, baking powder and salt. Add butter to the mixture and cut it in using a pastry cutter or two knives.
3. Stir in the fruit, then add the cream/buttermilk. Use rubber spatula to gently stir dough and bring it all together.
4. Turn it onto a floured surface and knead a few times to incorporate everything. Sprinkle more dough on if it gets sticky. Do NOT overwork it though!
5. Pat the dough into a circle that's 3/4 inch thick. Cut circle into 6-8 wedges, then transfer to cookie sheet. At this point, you can freeze the scones on the sheet, then store them in a ziploc bag in the freezer. Or bake them right away for about 15-20 mins, sprinkled with extra sugar on top, till golden. Eat warm, schmeared with honey or butter or both!