1 cup self-rising flour
1 cup sugar
1 cup milk
1 stick unsalted butter, melted
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup fresh or frozen (and thawed) berries
Extra sugar for sprinkling
1. Preheat your oven to 350 F. Prep a regular 12-serving muffin pan; coat it with non-stick cooking spray.
2. If using larger berries, like strawberries or blackberries, cut them in half and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine flour with sugar, then whisk in the milk. Whisk in melted butter and vanilla.
4. Using a 1/4 cup measure, pour batter into greased muffin tins. Top off with your choice of berries. (no need to press down) Sprinkle each serving with 1/8 tsp sugar.
5. Bake for 30-40 mins (keep an eye on it, because you don't want them to turn too dark around the edges) until golden brown. Invert onto a cooling rack (use a butter knife to loosen the edges, and these babies will pop right out) and serve warm with ice-cream or whipped cream. But they're so cute - no one will judge you if you pop a couple into your mouth as is.