Makes about 14-16 squares
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1 stick (8 tbsp) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsp instant coffee granules
2 eggs, at room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 oz bittersweet chocolate, roughly chopped
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (optional - I didn't use these)
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
2. Butter an 8-inch square baking pan, and line the bottom with a rectangular sheet of parchment paper, with the two smaller ends hanging about an inch over the rim of the baking pan. (makes it easier to remove the brownies after they're baked).
3. Whisk together the flour, cinnamon and salt.
4. Melt the butter in a saucepan over low heat. When the butter has almost melted, add the cocoa powder and instant coffee right into it. Stir until melted butter, cocoa and coffee is mixed well together. Turn off the heat and let this cool for 5 mins.
5. Using a small whisk. beat the eggs into the chocolate mixture, one at a time. Next, gently stir in the sugar and vanilla, followed by the dry ingredients, chopped chocolate and nuts (if using). Scrape this batter into the baking pan.
6. Place the pan on a baking tray in the center of the oven, and bake for 30 mins. Brownies will still be gooey, but the top will have that prized papery crust. Let the brownies cool for at least 30 mins. Use the overhang from the parchment paper to lift the brownies from the pan onto a cutting board. Cool completely before cutting into squares (and surreptitiously plopping that corner piece straight into your mouth - go on, I won't tell the kids).