1 cup AP flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal, preferably stone-ground
6 tbsp sugar
1.5 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg (optional)
1 cup buttermilk
3 tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled
3 tbsp oil
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
1 cup corn kernels (if using frozen or canned, drain & pat dry)
1 jalapeno pepper, deseeded & finely chopped
1. Preheat oven to 400 F. Butter or spray the 12 molds of your regular sized muffin pan.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg.
3. In another bowl, whisk the buttermilk, melted butter, oil, egg and yolk together. Pour over the dry mixture, and quickly but gently stir to combine.
4. Stir in the corn kernels and jalapeno. Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups.
5. Bake for 15-18 mins. Transfer the pan to a rack to cool for 5 mins before popping out each muffin from its mold. Serve these warm or at room temperature, with or without butter.