1 cup fresh/frozen blueberries
1 cup fresh/frozen raspberries
Handful of fresh blackberries (optional)
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar (I use a little less; more like 2/3 cup)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup milk
3 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
1/2 - 2/3 cup granulated sugar
1 tbsp cornstarch
1 cup boiling water
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a greased 8 x 8 baking dish, place the mixed berries, and sprinkle them with cinnamon and lemon juice. Keep aside.
3. In a separate bowl, mix the AP flour, 3/4 cup sugar and baking powder. Then add the wet ingredients - milk and melted butter - then whisk till smooth.
4. Pour this over the top of the berries. No need to be precise, but spread it out. Do NOT mix.
5. In a small bowl, mix the 2/3 cup sugar (or 1/2 cup if you want to use less) and cornstarch, then sprinkle the whole thing over the topping. This may look like a lot of sugar, but trust me when I say you won't feel it. The tart berries balance it out. Pour the cup of boiling water over it all - it looks like a mess right now, but have faith and put it in the oven as is!
6. Bake for 40-45 mins. The top should be golden-brown, with a delicate crust, and the berries underneath will be bubbling. Take it out and let it rest for a good 15-20 mins before serving with your favorite ice-cream.