start of Page 4a
Society of Edgar Families
Records of the Edgar Family of Moffat, Dumfriesshire, Scotland
The descendants of John and Isabella Edgar, of Moffat, played a notable part as pioneers in Australia and New Zealand and the society of Edgar families has compiled this record of their lives as a memorial to their courage and great industry in strange lands and so that those of their blood who follow on may never forget what part the Edgars of Moffat played in the settlement and development of two great Dominions.
John Edgar, born 20 October 1778 or 1779 was, like his father and grandfather before him, a shepherd and small farmer. At the time of the death of his son, Archibald, in 1841, he was following those pursuits at Greskine, then an out-bye of Harthope. He married on 1 June 1810, Isabella Aitcheson. He died at Moffat on 18 March 1868 and was buried there. Mrs Edgar, who was born 5 December 1787, died, at Moffat, 1 September 1882, aged 94 years. They had issue seven sons and four daughters:
I JAMES EDGAR, born 6 April 1811 at Moffat. About 1857 he went to Victoria, Australia, to join his brother David who had large landed interests in the western district. He married, firstly, Isabella Scott (who, it is claimed, was a kinswoman of Sir Walter Scott, Bt.). She died in 1850. He married secondly, in 1852, on the Duke of Buccleugh's, Dumfriesshire Estate, Mary Mossop. She died 21 May 1895. James Edgar died 5 August 1872 at Pine Hills Station, Harrow, Victoria. By his first wife, Isabella Scott, he had issue two sons and two daughters
1. John Edgar, born 5 August 1842, at Langholm, Dumfriesshire. He was educated in Scotland and at his Uncle David Edgar's Pine Hills Station. (From his obituary notice in the "Tapanui Courier", 31 July 1934, we learn the following particulars concerning his life) When fifteen years of age he, with his father and family, migrated to Australia, having been induced to do so by David Edgar, of Harrow, Victoria. John Edgar benefited greatly from his experience on the Pine Hills Estate, and, in 1861, he set sail in the "Omeo", in company with his paternal Uncle, Mr George Johnston and his family, for New Zealand. They reached Port Chalmers early in the year. Quiet, very observant, industrious and trustworthy, he found no difficulty in obtaining employment among the pioneer run-holders of Otago. In 1861, with the bullock team of his employer, Mr John Anderson, the lessor of Dalvey Station, he engaged in carting stores, at £80 a ton, from the head of Waihola Lake to the Gabriel's Gully gold fields. When Mr Anderson disposed of his lease of
start of Page 5
Dalvey to Mr John Dickison, John Edgar resumed as a shepherd. Three years after his arrival in New Zealand he returned to Victoria, but severe drought and bush fires led to his journeying once more to take up his duties at Dalvey Station. He was responsible for transfers of stock from different properties - often testing work requiring great effort and hardship.
On 29 September 1864, while still a shepherd on Dalvey Station, Tapanui, Otago, he married Eliza, eldest daughter of his employer, John Dickison, formerly of Mainholm Station, by his wife Margaret Paterson. (The Dickison family, consisting of the parents, two sons and four daughters, left Gravesend, England, 1 January 1859 per the sailing ship "Mariner" for Port Chalmers, NZ).
couple set up house at Glenburnie - just where the present road to Rankleburn
begins to ascend the Blue Mountains. Three years later they moved to "Brooklyn", afterwards called
"Woodside" but this property was also disposed of, John Edgar, in
June 1870, acquiring about 300 acres on the rich Tapanui Flat from the Crown.
This new property he named "Burnfoot" after a farm upon which he had
worked in Scotland. Burnfoot eventually became one of the
most productive areas in this locality. For a number of years John Edgar also
had about 1000 acres on the Rankleburn block. This has since been resumed by
the State for afforestation.
About 1909, John Edgar's son, David, took over Burnfoot, an arrangement which then permitted the old pioneer, later styled "The Grand Old Man of Tapanui", to retire to a comfortable home in Tapanui.
He was, for upwards of 63 years, an Elder of the Presbyterian Church (see "The Outlook" 31 August 1931). Mrs Edgar pre-deceased her husband, having died on 13 November 1920, at Tapanui. John Edgar, who died 28 July 1934 at Tapanui, was cared for in his last years by his cousin, Mrs Betsy Barclay (nee Johnston). John and Eliza Edgar had issue six sons and five daughters.
James Edgar served, at different periods, on the School and Hospital Committees and was a member of the Masonic and Oddfellows Lodges, Tapanui. He was a noted sportsman with rod and gun. (see "Tapanui Courier", 25 June 1930).
He married on 24 May 1894, Agnes, eldest daughter of John Mackie (died 1914), of Riverside, by his wife Agnes Riddell Wyllie White (Mrs Mackie (nee White), arrived in Dunedin by the ship "Ajax" in January 1849, when only five years of age.
Edgar died at Riverside, Tapanui 17 June 1930 and was buried 19 June in the Tapanui Cemetery. Mrs Agnes Edgar resides in Derby Street, Tapanui. James and Agnes Edgar had issue
four sons and nine daughters.
start of Page 6
A John, born 14 May 1901, at Kelso, Otago. Educated at Tapanui School. He became manager of the Riverside Estate, and resides on that property. He married, 16 January 1929, at Tapanui, Mary Florence Victoria, daughter of Alexander Smith [died 1915, at Crookston, Otago], by his wife Elizabeth Jamieson [died 1936, at Gore, Southland, NZ]. They have issue two sons, and a daughter:-
[a] James Alexander, born 24 May 1931
[b] Robert Mackie, born 14 February 1933
[a] Marie Elizabeth, born 12 January 1930
B Robert Mackie, born 28 July 1902, at Kelso. Died in 1909.
C Stanley James, born 8 May 1913, at Riverside
D William White Mackie, born 27 July 1915, at Riverside. Died at Tapanui 14 August 1938.
A Agnes Isabella, born 30 March 1895, at Kelso. Married on 23 December 1920, Hugh Loughlin Winter, who is a descendant of the Dan Winter in whose cottage the first Orange Lodge was formed. Issue, 2 sons and two daughters. Resides 164 George St., Nth Invercargill, NZ.
[a] Edgar Hugh
[b] Alister James
[a] Kathleen Agnes
[b] June Isobel
B Eliza Dickison, born 26 August 1896, at Burnfoot. Resides, Derby St., Tapanui.
C Mary, born 23 July 1898, at Kelso. Married 8 August 1930, Gordon Hendrie Smith. No issue. Resides Edendale, Southland.
D Margaret Jane, born 15 November 1899, at Kelso. Married 23 December 1925, Thomas Gibson Dennison. No issue. Resides, 258 The Terrace, Wellington, C2.
E Annie Mackie, born 17 October 1904, at Kelso. Married 26 June 1937, John Hector Soper. No issue. Resides, Harrington St., Lawrence, Otago.
F Jessie, born 29 April 1906, at Riverside. Married 19 February 1929, Wesley Arthur Harris. Issue, a son, Alan James. Resides Waikari, Nth Canterbury, NZ.
G Marian, born 11 December 1907, at Riverside. Married 9 November 1932, William Neill Taylor. Issue, a daughter, Marjorie Anne. Resides Cromwell, Central Otago.
H Robina Olive, born 1 September 1910, at Riverside. Married 19 December 1936, Arthur James Neil. Resides 277 Elles Rd., Nth Invercargill.
I Kathleen Sealy, born 1 October 1917, at Riverside. Married 5 June 1937, at Tapanui, John, son of William Stirling, of Wyndham. Resides Edendale, Southland.
Dickison born 1 September 1872 at Burnfoot. Educated at Tapanui State School. He engaged in
start of Page 7
farming pursuits, at first with his brother, James Edgar,at Kelso, but later alone at Westholm, Tapanui. Married on 5 February 1894 at Dunedin, Otago, Margaret Catherine, daughter Robert Nimmo, seed-merchant, of Dunedin, by his wife Euphemia Henderson Wilson. They have issue four sons and three daughters.
A Vincent Elliot, born 1894; died 1931. Unmarried.
B John Dickison, born 1896; died 1902. Unmarried.
C Robert Nimmo, born 1903;died 1919. Unmarried.
D John Walter, born 1910; died 1926. Unmarried.
A Effie Margaret, born 1898.
B Catherine Isabel, born 1900.
May, born 1908.
 Adam David, born 30 July 1877, at Burnfoot. Educated at Tapanui District School. He qualified as a dental surgeon and practises that profession in Dunedin. 2nd Lieut. Senior Cadet Corps. Member of Dunedin Drainage Board. Mayor of St Kilda (NZ) for three terms, Councillor for 15 years. Acting Master and Deputy Master; also Vice President and Treasurer of the Otago Hunt Club. Held appointment as a Justice of the Peace. Resides Alton Ave., Musselburg Rise, Dunedin. Married on 1 January 1908 at South Dunedin Presbyterian Church, Blanch Louise Welsh. dau of Francis Welsh and his wife Margaret Smith [nee Donald].. They had issue two sons.
born 15 June 1909. Dental Surgeon.
B Francis Geoffrey, born 17 August 1914. Clerk, Dept of Public Works.
 David Dickison, born 7 August 1879 at Burnfoot. Educated at Tapanui Public School and Otago Boy's High School (Dunedin). He was on the Burnfoot property, until in 1909, he took over its management from his father. He continues to reside at Burnfoot. Married 26 January 1910 at Tapanui, Helen Connell, youngest daughter of John and Margaret [nee Mair] Howat, of “Milrig”, Tapanui. Mrs Edgar who died at Tapanui 10 June 1937, aged 57 years was educated at Tapanui School and matriculated from the Milton District High School before attending the Teachers’ Training College. She was teacher at Kuriwao School, near Clinton, for three years and was at Tapanui District High School for four years before spending two years at the North East Valley School. After a visit to Great Britain, with her parents, she married Mr Edgar. They had issue, one son and one daughter.
Ivon, born 4 June 1914.
A Vida Nancy, born 3 December 1912.
 Robert Walter, born 1 December 1883 at Burnfoot. Educated at Tapanui District High School and at the Otago Medical School, University of Otago. Awarded the degrees M.B., Ch.B. in 1911. House Surgeon Dunedin Public Hospital, 1911-12; locum tenens, Johnsonville, Wellington, 1912-13; In practice at Lumsden, Southland, 1913-21, and at Port Chalmers from 1921. Post Graduate work in London and Edinburgh, 1924-25. Resides George St., Port Chalmers. Married in 1913, at Dunedin, Elizabeth, fourth daughter of Andrew and Elizabeth [nee Tait] Drummond of Muthill, Perthshire, Scotland. They have issue one son and one daughter.
A Robert Walter Evan, born 30 July 1914, at Lumsden, Southland. Medical student at Otago Medical School.
start of Page 8
A Ngaire Dickison, born 4 November 1919. Being educated at Columbia Girls’ College.
 George Thomas, born 2 April 1886 at Burnfoor. Educated at Tapanui District High School. Received his engineering education at Dunedin. Articled pupil in engineering to Mr (now Sir) William G. T. Goodman, during construction of Dunedin Electric Tramway System and Waipori Falls Hydro Electric Scheme (1903); NSW Tramways (1909); 3rd Engineer Waipori Falls Hydro Electric Power Station (1908). Chief Draughtsman, City Electric Engineers' Office (1908-15). Assistant City Electric Engineer 1915 to date. Visited Great Britain and America, 1928-29 on business for Electric Power and Light Department, City Corporation of Dunedin, A.M.I.E.E., A.M.N.Z.I.E. Registered Electric Engineer of NZ Government. Resides 24 Pine Rd., Dunedin. Married 25 September 1907 at Dunedin, Mary Ann Grace, daughter of John Donaldson, by his wife Martha Blance. They have issue two sons and one daughter.
Thomas, born 9 August 1908. Bachelor of Dental Surgery.
B John Edwin Raymond, born 12 December 1915. Medical student.
A Martha Blance, born 25 September 1909.
(1) Margaret Jane, born 3 September 1865 at Glenburnie, Tapanui. Married 5 January 1898 at Burnfoot, Rev. Robert Mackie, Presbyterian Minister of St. Andrews, South Canterbury, and later of Dunedin South, Winton, Hamilton and Mataura. They reside George St., Gore, Southland. They have issue two daughters:-
A Margaret Tui Mackie
B Agnes Riddell Mackie, deceased.
(2) Isabella Christina, born 20 June 1870, at Tapanui. Died 31 Aug, 1886, unmarried.
born 1 July 1874, at Tapanui. Died 7 July 1876.
(4) Eliza Dickison, born 21 June 1876, at Burnfoot. Married 8 November 1898 at Burnfoot, Hugh, son of John and Margaret [nee Mair] Howat, of “Milrig” Tapanui. Residence 25 Queen’s Drive, Musselburgh, Dunedin. They have issue twin daughters:-
A Margaret Mair Howat, born 4 January 1901 [Mrs W J Wraight died 5 May 1938] Dunsandell, Canterbury
B Eliza Edgar Howat, unmarried
(5) Jane Agnes, born 26 July 1881 at Burnfoot. Married 20 February 1902, at Tapanui, George Howat of “Milrig”, Tapanui (brother of Helen Connell and Hugh Howat). They have issue four sons and four daughters:-
A John, deceased
C George Gordon
D Desmond Hugh
Isobel [Mrs L A Kirk, of Tapanui]
B Edna Margaret [Mrs D B Baxter, Heriot, Otago]
C Florence May [Mrs A E Baxter, Heriot, Otago]
D Catherine Jessie
2 Adam, born 1 April 1850, near Langholm, Dumfriesshire. He was educated at the private school on Pine Hills Station. He went to New Zealand in 1875. There he managed farming properties, among which was that of Mr Gladstone Robinson (3500 acres) at
start of Page 9
Waikoikoi. He retired about 20 years ago to live in
Tapanui. He has been a deacon and elder of the Presbyterian Church. He married
on 11 October 1871 at Hamilton, Vic., Margaret daughter of John Huston,
by his wife Margaret [nee McGurk] formerly of Castle Dawson, Ireland. Mrs Edgar
died on 14 August 1918 at Tapanui. They had issue four sons and three
(1) James Huston (Rev) born 19 July 1872, at Clunie Estate, near Harrow., Vic. He was educated privately. In 1898 he went to China as a Missionary of the China Inland Mission. During the Boxer Rebellion he, with all others of his calling had to come to the coast. The year 1902 saw him in West China, indeed he travelled very extensively, making one journey to Balang, Tibet, in three months. He enjoyed his first furlough in 1908 but returned to China in the following year and again set out for, and safely reached, Tibet where he remained until a revolution took place in 1911. Until his second furlough in 1917 he made contact with many tribes all over West China and Eastern Tibet.
While on furlough in 1926, prolonged because of the disturbed state of China at that time, he took a journey into Central Australia with Mr Kramer for the purpose of investigating the condition of the aboriginals and also that it might be decided whether the establishment of a native Reserve was practicable.
He published a short book dealing with the results of this expedition. Several short volumes on his Tibetan experiences also came from his pen. He was always a frequent contributor to Chinese journals, notably the "West China Border Research", the organ of a Society of which he was President at the time of his death.
Many of the finest specimens in the well known West China Union University Museum were collected and presented by Mr Edgar. His fine geographical work earned him a Fellowship of the Royal Geographical Society. He was also elected a Fellow of the Royal Anthropological Institute. His death occurred suddenly at Tatsienlu, West China, on 23 March 1936.
The Rev James Huston Edgar married on 27 October 1902, at Chengtu, Szechuan, West China, Miss Lily Trudinger, a member of the well known South Australian Missionary family. Mrs Edgar resides in Adelaide SA. They had issue three sons and one daughter:-
A Chalmers Huston, born 3 March 1909.
B Gordon Scott, born 19 November 1913
C Oscar Patrick, born 13 April 1920
A Elsbeth Trudinger, born 1 September 1905.
Scott, born 13 April 1874, at Longlands Stn, Harrow, Vic. Farmer and Blacksmith, Mayor of
Tapanui for a term. He married 22 Feb1905 at Earnscleugh, Alexandra, Otago,
Annie, daughter of James and Elizabeth Phoebe [neeTaylor] Fraser. They have issue one son:-
A Walter Cyril Fraser, born 1 March 1908.
Scott, born 19 April 1878, at Tapanui. Farmer and General Carrier. Resides in
Tapanui. Married firstly, at Balclutha, Isabella Cessford, daughter of William
Smith. She died at Dunedin on 9 November 1904. He married secondly at Balclutha,
Hannah, daughter of William Jarvis and Maria Cross. She died at Tapanui on 18
start of Page 10
Adam Scott Edgar had issue by his first wife, a son:-
Cessford Smith, born 9 November 1904, at Dunedin. Now a clerk in Labour Dept., Milton,
Adam Scott Edgar had issue by his second wife, a daughter:-
A Maud Isabella, born 9 March 1911. Married Leslie Black and resides “Aparima”, Olautau RD South Island.
born 17 June 1883, at Tapanui. Educated at Tapanui Public School. In business as a butcher in Tapanui.
Married on 28 December 1910, at Balclutha, Frances Ethel, daughter of John Sutherland and
Amelia Jane Sinclair [both deceased]. They have issue:-
A George Sinclair, born 26 September 1911.
B Alvan Huston, born 21 January 1914
C John Rex Merlyn, born 16 January 1916
D Thomas, born November 1918. Died in infancy.
 Eliza, born 25 May 1876, at Tapanui. Married on 1 February 1899, at Tapanui to the late Gavin Patterson Brownlie. Mrs Brownlie resides at Owaka, South Island. They had issue four sons and three daughters:-
A Edgar, B.A.
B Cessford Erle
C Adam Clifford
A Ethel Isobel Gavina [Mrs S H Andrew]
B Margaret Huston [Mrs A S Whitcombe]
Helen Dalziel, unmarried
born 14 February 1880, at Tapanui. Married on 17 April 1907, at Tapanui, John William Herman Clarke.
Residence 132 London St., Dunedin. They have issue three sons and two
A Adam Edgarm Esmond [died May 1935, aged 27 years]
B Edgar Hermon, M. B.
C Aubrey Huston
A Margaret Isobel Gavina
born 15 April 1885, at Tapanui, unmarried. Resides Tapanui.
Of the daughters of James and Isabella
[nee Scott] Edgar:-
born 23 May 1834, at Langholm, Dumfriesshire. She died 13
March 1918 at the
home of her daughter, Mrs E G Edwards, “Moffat”, Murray St., Casterton, Vic. She married on 7
March 1866, at Portland, Vic, Dougald McMaster, of Koolomurt,
Vic. They had issue three sons:-
 James Edgar
 Allen David
all of whom died young, within a week of
each other; and three daughters:-
start of Page 11
 Catherine Isabella
 Margaret Grace
2. Margaret Scott, born 25 December 1847, near Langholm, Dumfriesshire. She died in October 1917 at “Pleasant View”, Douglas. She married in 1872 at Hamilton, Vic William John McIntyre [died 23 May 1936]. They had issue three sons and three daughters:-
 William John
 Edgar Charles
 Annie Isabella [Mrs H Hobbs, Douglas House, 9 Park St., Horsham, Vic]
 Jessie Grace, deceased
 Effie Grace Bertha
James Edgar, by his second wife, Mary Mossap, had
issue two sons and two daughters:-
3. James, born 17 February 1854 at Langholm, Dumfriesshire. He was educated at the private school at Pine Hills Station., and afterwards engaged in farming on the Bogalara property near Casterton, Vic. He married on 1 September 1904, at Harrow, Vic., Elizabeth Jane, third daughter of George Farnum of Harrow, by his wife Dora Cook. Mrs Edgar whose husband James Edgar died 28 April 1919, at Edenhope, married secondly on 24 November 1923, Thomas Tansey.
James and Elizabeth Jane Edgar had issue four sons and two daughters:-
Joseph, born 4 July 1907 at Bogalara, unmarried. Resides at Edenhope.
 Walter George, born 14 December 1909 at Bogalara. He died at Edenhope, 20 December 1909.
 Erwin Robert Bruce, born 21 April 1913 at Bogalara, unmarried.
Jerome, born 23 December 1919 at Edenhope, unmarried
 Jean Elizabeth Victoria, born 17 June 1905 at Bogalara
 Sylvia Mossop Grace, born 26 July 1911 at Bogalara, Married Francis Dean
born 5 May 1857 at Pothorn, Scotland. Died at sea on voyage to Australia, while an infant.
3. Jean, born 26 May 1853, at Canonbie, Dumfriesshire. Resided at Edenhope, Vic. and died 1947. Married 21 April 1874, at Mullagh Station, Harrow, Vic., Jerome Minogue, [born 13 May 1841, in County Clare, Ireland] son of Simon Minogue by his wife Julia [nee Minogue – of another family], both of County Clare. Mr Jerome Minogue was sometime overseer on Pine Hills Station but later owned a farming property at Bogalara. He retired to live in Edenhope where he died on 31 December 1928. They had issue four sons and three daughters:-
 Joseph Jerome, born 15 July 1875, at Kadnook Station, deceased.
 James Edgar, born 3 March 1878, at Portland.
Edgar, born 21 August 1883, at Pine Hills Station, deceased.
start of Page 12
 John Lawrence, born 27 May 1879, at Bogalara
 Julia Mary, born 15 July 1876, at Kadnook Station.
Edgar, born 6 January 1882, at Pine Hills Station. Married 4
September 1916, at
Casterton, James, son of James and Margaret [nee Kelly] Daly, of “Clunie”, Harrow. Mr and Mrs Daly have issue two
A Mary Gerard, born 10 July 1922
B Margaret Jean, born 14 September 1925
Mrs Daly, who is a member of the Society
of Edgar Families, resides at “Clunie”, Harrow.
Jean, born 7 September 1887, at Pine Hills Station
4. Jessie, born at Pine Hills Station married James West, of Edenhope, and had issue, including Senior Constable West of Port Fairy.
II DAVID EDGAR, born 18 December 1812, at Moffat was the first of the Edgars of Moffat to arrive in Australia. He left Leith, Scotland in the ship "North Britain" (Captain Fyans) but when the vessel reached Hobart on 15 December 1838, David Edgar became impressed by the then current glowing reports of the newly settled Port Phillip District. With other fellow passengers he landed at Port Henry, near Geelong which was reached a few days before Christmas 1838. Some months later the crew of the revenue cutter "Ranger" deserted to a man and the skipper, in his dilemma offered free passages to David Edgar and several others if they would work the cutter up to Melbourne. After a rough passage they reached the coast at what is now South Melbourne and were compelled, because of the shallows, to wade ashore. Guided by the lights of the young settlement the party pushed on and after being ferried across the Yarra by Mr Russell (later Mayor of Melbourne) they found lodgings, after some difficulty, at the British Hotel, which was then in the course of erection on the corner of Flinders Lane nearest the river - where the Sydney Hotel later stood.
David Edgar was engaged by the Bayley Brothers, pastoralists, of Werribee. His first job was to take charge of a draft of lambing ewes during Mr Bayley's absence in search of pasture for his dry sheep. Soon after Mr Bayley had left, the men employed to assist with the ewes and lambs deserted, leaving David Edgar single handed to attend to two flocks of sheep, one on each side of the river. Numerous wild dogs added to the young pioneer's difficulties, but for eleven days and nights these two flocks were safely shepherded without the loss of a single animal. In that time David Edgar subsisted on the pancakes which he was able to make for himself.
The story of the youthful shepherd's pluck and self reliance spread far and wide and haf very much to do with his subsequent advancement. He remained with the Bayleys at Carngham until the expiration of his engagement in 1839. On 1 January 1840 he was engaged as Overseer by the Furlonge Brothers of the Werribee, at a wage of 50 pounds for twelve months. A few months later the Furlonges’ acquired the Grange Burn station (25,000 acres) just above Hamilton and David Edgar was put in charge at 100 pounds per annum. This was considered the most responsible billet of its kind in the Colony and required the care of some 12,000 sheep and 1200 head of cattle, besides horses. Heading a party of 16 persons, 14 of whom were to be employed at the Grange, David Edgar came into contact with a large party of natives near Lake Bolac. After a hostile advance they realised the good intentions of the whites and became friendly. Grange
start of Page 13
was reached on 24 November 1840. Early in the following year the Arrandoyong
run was taken up by David Edgar as a heifer station. This was before the town
of Branxholme was thought of. The child of the first
couple put in charge there was kidnapped by the blacks in the same year and
never heard of again. Early in 1851 David Edgar and William Thomson discovered Lake Condah.
Mr John Hunter Patterson bought the Grange Burn Estate in 1842 and David Edgar purchased the interest of Mr Samuel Evans in the Bush Inn he was building at Second River (now Heywood) and for which a licence had been obtained. Here he remained from January 1842 until June 1849. John Dunmore Lang D.D. in his book "Pillipsland" written in 1846 says - "Twenty miles from Portland is a Bush Inn kept by a respectable Scotsman by the name of Edgar"; also "- there is some good land on the Second River which Mr Edgar had partly cleared, and, I have no doubt it will one day become the site of a considerable inland village. It is just the proper distance for one from the seaport. A Bush Inn in such a situation is a sure fortune to a man of steady habits, and I should say that Mr Edgar is, in a worldly point of view, a thriving man".
On a visit to Melbourne in 1849 David Edgar exchanged his hotel with Mr Owen O'Reilley for the latter's interest in the Mullagh sheep station (39,568 acres) near Harrow in which he was a partner with Mr Walter Bermingham. On 15 Jly 1849 David Edgar reached Mullagh and took up residence in a wretched structure which served as the homestead. From 1848-51 he was the owner of Drumborg (5000 acres) on the Fitzroy River. In January 1850 Edgar and Bermingham leased Pine Hills Station (50,560 acres) from Mr C. P. Cooke, with 4,000 sheep, for 4 years, with right of purchase within that time. David Edgar and his family removed from Mullagh to the new property. Prosperous seasons were experienced and after 3 1/2 years the partners exercised their right of purchase.
purchase money, extensive improvements, an the expenses for general management
were met from the proceeds of the wool sales alone, and no stock was sold.
During the year Bermingham died. In 1852, when the gold diggings began, the
work on the Station was in confusion as every employee decamped. At this period
the flocks were about 32,000 sheep. In 1843 Bermingham having died intestate, the
Curator of Intestate Estates insisted on the partnership's properties,
comprising some 96,000 acres, 38,000 sheep being offered at auction. No bid was
offered. In 1855 David Edgar divided the estates into two equally valuable
portions and Walter Bermingham's widow, given first choice, selected Mullagh.
The Land Act facilities for acquiring pre-emptive selection was taken advantage
David Edgar, having constructed a new homestead at Pine Hills and made other improvements, visited Great Britain from March - Sep, 1857. The Pine Hills property on the banks of the Glenelg about 6 miles from harrow, remained in the Edgar family until 1936. The homestead is an unpretentious typical Old English type farm house, of brick, with gable ends and dormer windows. There is a quadrangular courtyard. A large brick bachelor's hall provides accommodation for visitors, and there are extensive and wonderfully irrigated gardens all about the homestead.
Other Stations owned by David Edgar were Bogalara 8,760 acres, near Chetwynd, from October 1867 to 1875; Tallangour, a subdivision of Kadnook, near Harrow, April 1870 to May 1878; Longlands West, near Harrow, from May 1877 onwards; and Kadnook, near Harrow, from July 1873 onwards.
David Edgar was prominently identified with local affairs. He was elected a member of the North Harrow Roads Board in 1862 and served until 1872, when the Board ceased to function, having been Chairman for four terms. When the Kowree Shire was proclaimed and replaced the Roads Board in 1872, he was elected to