Below is a redrawn sketch of the original 1842 map (Source: Merino-Digby Heritage 1977). The solid vertical line on the left is the South Australian border. For the purposes of scale the distance between Portland, at the bottom of the page, and Edgar's Inn is 20 miles, according to John Dunmore Lang (1847). It was called Second River in those days (some sources say it was just called Edgars). Lindsay Clarke surveyed it in 1852, naming it Heywood after the town in Lincolnshire,England. The first allotments were sold in 1854. The main street is called Edgar Street.
John Dunmore Lang's comment about the surprising number of Scots running hotels in the area is borne out by the names on this map.
Note: Lake Condham to the northeast of Edgars was wrongly transcribed. It was named Lake Condon by its European discoverers in 1841 and later renamed Lake Condah. It contains important archaeological evidence over a period of 8,000 years of changing Aboriginal culture from nomadism to seasonal sedentism. It was also a centre for Aboriginal resistance to European pastoralists till about 1860.