This is the personal website of Dr. Eric Joseph Chan Ph.D (Chem)
There are interesting things stored on this website related to my life and Career etc. Also, this site is designed to be a repository for software codes or scripts which I have modified to do interesting things in the pursuit of improving my studies of small molecule crystals. As well as this there are links to related sites for molecular simulations and diffraction learning resources.
(left) Three polymorphic phases of benzocaine. the molecules in the lattice are related on average by different symmetry operations.
Short Bio: Solid-state physical chemist from Perth, Western Australia, holding an undergraduate degree in organic chemistry and biochemistry and a PhD in Chemical Crystallography from UWA. Postdoc in X-ray Diffuse Scattering interpretation from organic crystals (ANU) . Another postdoc in solid state organic chemistry (KSU). My current occupation involves developing molecular simulation methods to facilitate materials science interests for pharmaceutical development, mostly geared at predictive capabilities (i.e. risk assessment). I have also made contributions to solid state organic chemistry and the usefulness of molecular simulations to interpret experimental data (e.g. the use of X-ray scattering and SSNMR data). I also have a strong interest in the theoretical and statistical physics approaches used in drug discovery.
more info. at linkedin page https://www.linkedin.com/pub/chan-eric/60/68b/370
· E.J. Chan, et. al., “On the application of GCMC simulation to predict the absorption properties of multiple disordered solvents binding in API crystal lattices A Case Study.”, Mol. Pharm., (2016), Submitted.
· E.J. Chan, “On the Use of Molecular Simulation for Calculating Thermal Diffuse Scattering in Molecular Crystals”, J. Appl. Cryst., (2015), 48, 1420-1428.
· E. J. Chan, L. Derdour and R. Tejwani, "Calculating a Characteristic Growth Effect Curvature from molecular simulations that can be used to Correlate Factors Influencing Crystalline growth and properties." (2015) CG&D, accepted.
· E. J. Chan, Q. Gao and M. Dabros, "Understanding the structure details when drying hydrate crystals of pharmaceuticals – Interpretations from diffuse scattering and inter-modulation satellites of a partially dehydrated crystal." Acta. Cryst., B70 (2014) 555-567 .
· E. J. Chan and D. J. Goossens and A. P. Heerdegen, " Study of the single crystal X-ray diffuse scattering in paracetamol polymorphs." Acta Cryst., B68 (2012) 80-88.
· E. J. Chan, T. R. Welberry, D. J. Goossens and A. P. Heerdegen, "A diffuse scattering study of Aspirin forms I and II." Acta Cryst., B66 (2010) 696-707.
· E. J. Chan, T. R. Welberry, "Precursor effects of the orthorhombic to monoclinic phase transition in benzocaine form (II) revealed by X-ray diffuse scattering." Acta. Cryst. B66, (2009) 260-270.
· E. J. Chan, T. R. Welberry, D. J. Goossens and A. P. Heerdegen, " A refinement strategy for Monte Carlo modeling of diffuse scattering from molecular crystal systems.” j. Appl. Cryst., (2010) 913-915.
· E. J. Chan, T. R. Welberry, A. P. Heerdegen, D. J. Goossens, A. P. Beasley and P. J. Chupas, "Single-crystal diffuse scattering studies on polymorphs of molecular crystals. I. The room-temperature polymorphs of the drug benzocaine" Acta Cryst., B65 (2009) 382-392.
· E. J. Chan, A. D. Rae, T. R. Welberry, "On the polymorphism of benzocaine; a low-temperature structural phase transition for form (II)" Acta Cryst., B65 (2009) 509-515.
· D.J. Goossens and E. J. Chan, "Synchrotron X-ray Diffuse Scattering from a stable polymorphic material" Acta. Cryst., B (2016) accepted.
· T. R. Welberry, E. J. Chan, D. J. Goossens and A. P. Heerdegen, 'Use of Monte-Carlo simulation for the interpretation and analysis of diffuse scattering', Phase Transitions, 1029-0338 (2010) 80-98.
· T. R. Welberry, D. J. Goossens, E. J. Chan and A. P. Heerdegen, ‘Diffuse scattering as an aid to the understanding of polymorphism in pharmaceuticals’, Metallurgical and Materials transactions A, 43A(2012) 1434-1444.
· D. J. Goossens, A. P. Heerdegen, E. J. Chan and T. R. Welberry, “Monte Carlo Modelling of Diffuse Scattering from Single Crystals: The Program ZMC”, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, (2010), 1073-5623 (Print) 1543-1940 (Online).
· E. J. Chan, B. G. Cox, J. M. Harrowfield, M. I. Ogden, B. W. Skelton and A. H. White, “Cation solvation in the solid state - temperature-dependant crystal structures in some metal perchlorates solvated by dimethylsulfoxide”, Inorg. Chim. Acta 357 (2004) 2365.
· E. J. Chan, J. S. Edmonds, K. Kazawa, B. W. Skelton and A. H. White, “The Crystal Structure of Methylphenylarsinic Acid, a Contaminant of Rice Plants and Groundwater”, Chem. Lett. 36 (2007) 160-161.
· E. J. Chan, A. H. White, B. W. Skelton “Structural Characterization of Some Coinage Metal(I) Thiosulfate Complexes”, Z. Anorg. Allg. Chem., 634 (2008) 2825-2844.
· E. J. Chan, J. M. Harrowfield, B. W. Skelton, A. H. White, “Alcohol Solvates of Lanthanoid(III) Trifluoromethanesulfonates”, Z. Anorg. Allg. Chem., 635 (2009) 456-461.
· E. J. Chan, “Tris(ethanol-O)tris(picrato-O,O')lanthanum(III) tri-2-pyridylamine solvate”, Acta Cryst., E64 (2008) m984-m985.
· F. Marchetti, C. Pettinari, R. Pettinari, A. Cerquetella, A. Cingolani, E. J. Chan, K. Kozawa, B. W. Skelton, A. H. White, R. Wanke, M. L. Kuznetsov, L. Martins and A. Pombeiro, "Areneruthenium(II) 4-Acyl-5-pyrazolonate Derivatives; Coordination Chemistry, Redox Properties, and Reactivity", Inorg. Chem., 46 (2007) 8245-8257.
· S. Mutrofin, E. J. Chan, P. C. Healy, A. Marinelli, J. Ngoune, C. Pettinari, R. Pettinari, N. Somers, B. W. Skelton and A. H. White, "Structural forms in complexes of 2,9-dimethyl-1,10-phenanthroline with simple salts of copper(I) and other univalent 'closed shell' species", Inorg. Chim. Acta, 361(2008) 2365-2374.
· Pettinari, R., Pettinari, C., Marchetti, F., Gobetto, R., Nervi, C., Chierotti, M. R., Chan, E. J., Skelton, B. W. & White, A. H., “Solid-State 15N CPMAS NMR and Computational Analysis of Ligand Hapticity in Rhodium Poly(pyrazolyl)borate Complexes” Inorganic Chemistry, 49(2010) 11205-11215.
· P. J. Larkin, M. Dabros, B. Sarsfield, E. Chan, J. T. Carriere and B. C. Smith, " Polymorph Characterization of Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients (APIs) using Low Frequency Raman Spectroscopy." Applied Spectroscopy, 68:7(2014), 758-776.
· E. J. Chan, S. Grabowsky, J. M. Harrowfield, M. W. Shi, B. W. Skelton, A. N. Sobolev and A. H. White, " Hirshfeld surface analysis of crystal packing in aza-aromatic picrate salts" Cryst. Eng. Comm., 16(2014), 4508-4538 DOI: 10.1039/c4ce00095a, http://xlink.rsc.org/?doi=C4CE00095A
· L. Derdour and E. J. Chan, “A semi-theoretical model for supersaturation and aspect ratio for size-dependent crystal growth” (2014) AIChE Journal, accepted.