Welcome to the Eau Claire International Folk Dancers web site! We meet weekly as a recreational international dance group to dance the dances of many lands.
It's not a class where you have to come for several weeks in a row - just come and join us whenever you'd like to do so.
Everyone is welcome, and no partners are necessary.
Wear comfortable clothing.
Please bring soft-soled, non-marking, clean shoes in order to preserve the wood floor we dance on.
The first Friday of each month is Beginners' Night - all dances are easy and are taught. Other nights may be based on a country or ethnic region (e.g. all Bulgarian dances), may be dances learned at a particular workshop, or may be request dancing (everyone who attends suggests the dances that we dance that night.) Join us!
Dance Night Information:
- Where: Eau Claire YMCA Fitness and Training Center, 206 Emery St., Eau Claire, Wisconsin (across Graham Avenue from the main YMCA building); Map
- When: Friday nights at 7:30 PM - almost every Friday, but we cancel on some Fridays due to regional workshops or other times that our teachers are gone - check the calendar to make sure we're meeting. You can also contact us in advance if you're traveling from a distance.
- What: Usually the first hour consists of teaching, then review and request dancing follows (though on request nights, all dances are played by request and there's generally no teaching). See the current calendar for our dancing schedule which covers two months in detail and has an outline of upcoming events as well.
- Cost: Usually $2.00/person (half paid to the YMCA for use of the room, half used to help cover ECIFD expenses such as live bands); may be other costs (e.g. adults - $7.00 - $10.00/adult) when we have live music, which happens several times a year
- Why: For fun, exercise, community, rhythmic movement, learning more about different cultures, and hearing wonderful world music
- Questions? Feel free to contact us (see the Contact Us page)
Tips for beginners and experienced dancers to help you and others to enjoy international folk dancing