- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 4-6 ounces mushrooms, chopped
- 1 leek, white and light green parts only, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups cooked pearl barley (about 1/2 cup dried cooked in 1 1/2 cups water)
- 2 cups cubed butternut squash
- 1/2 cup Parmesan, divided
- 4 eggs
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375˚F and grease a 1 3/4 qt. baking dish. We used a 9-inch cake pan.
- Prepare the barley: Cover 1/2 cup of pearl barley with 1 1/2 cups of water and simmer for 30-40 minutes, then fluff with a fork.
- Spray a baking dish and toss the butternut squash with salt and pepper. Roast for about 25 minutes, or until tender.
- In a large frying pan heat the oil over medium heat. Add in the mushrooms and a pinch of salt, cooking for about 3 minutes or until just beginning to soften. Stir in the leeks, cook another 2 minutes, then add in the garlic. Continue cooking until everything is softened and the mushrooms are a nice brown color, about another 3 minutes. Mix in roasted squash. Let cool slightly.
- Place the barley in a large bowl. Stir in the mushroom mixture and half the Parmesan.
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs and salt. Fold the eggs into the barley mixture, then pour into your prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with the last half of the Parmesan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until set. Remove from the oven, cool for 10 minutes, and serve.