- 2 3/4 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 10 tablespoons butter at room temperature
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups molasses
- 1 cup hot water
- 4 tablespoons butter at room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 8 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350. Spray and flour (very thoroughly!
Our cakes stuck) three 8-inch round cake pans.
- Mix together the dry ingredients except for the brown sugar
and set aside.
- Cream the brown sugar and butter together in a mixer for 3-5
minutes or until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each
addition. Add the molasses, mixing until well-incorporated.
- Alternately add one third of the dry ingredients, one third
of the water, etc, mixing after each addition. The batter will be thin.
- Evenly divide batter between pans. Bake for 20-25 minutes or
until a toothpick or knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Transfer
to a rack to cool for 10 minutes, then run a knife around the edge, tip the
cakes out, and finish cooling on wire racks.
To make frosting:
- Place all ingredients in a mixer fitted with the paddle
attachment and beat until well-combined. Then frost your cake one layer at a
time (well duh). Enjoy!