¼ cup canola oil, plus more for pan
Crumb Topping Ingredients:
- ½ stick unsalted butter, melted.
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pan
- ½ cup + 2 TB granulated white sugar
- 1 ts baking powder
- ½ ts coarse salt
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup + 2 TB buttermilk
- 2 ts pure vanilla extract
Cream Cheese Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
- ¾ ts coarse salt
- ½ TB ground cinnamon
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter, melted & cooled
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temp.
- 1 large egg yolk
- 4 teaspoons white sugar
- Place rack in center of oven, and heat oven to 350°.
- Lightly butter a 9 x 13 baking pan and dust with flour, and tap to remove
- In a large bowl, whisk
together egg, butter, buttermilk, canola oil, and vanilla.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder, and
salt) into egg mixture.
- Spread batter evenly into prepared pan, and set aside. The batter is thick.
- For the Cream Cheese Mixture: Mix all the cream cheese mixture ingredients in a separate bowl until smooth.
- Spread the cream
cheese mixture over the bars; I did this in vertical lines in the pan.
- And on the other sides of the cream cheese lines I added in a line of cookie
- If you want slight swirls, take a chopstick and gently swirl the opposite of
the lines. This step proved unnecessary since it all got covered in crumbs
anyways. Oh well.
- For the crumb topping: In a medium bowl, combine all dry ingredients, pour
melted butter over mixture, and toss with a rubber spatula until large crumbs
- Cover the cake in crumbs.
- Then transfer pan to oven, and bake for 12 minutes, rotate pan. Then cook
another 10- 12 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Check cake at 20-23
minute mark for sure.
- Let cake cook completely before slicing.
- Using a serrated knife or bench scraper, cut into 3-inch squares.
- Store in an airtight container for up to two-three days.