- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup browned butter*
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/4 tsp baking powder
*To brown butter:
- Heat pan on medium heat.
- Cut butter in to pieces and melt in pan.
- Stir continuously. Butter will foam up.
- After foam subsides, small brown flecks will start to appear in bottom of pan.
- Continue stirring, until butter has reached a nice brown color, and nutty aroma - once you can smell it, it’s done! It takes about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and continue stirring until cool (about 3 more minutes).
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Grease and flour 3 8- or 9-inch pans, or line 24 cupcake tins.
- Beat sugar and eggs together until slightly thickened, about a minute.
- Add milk, browned butter, and vanilla, stirring just until combined.
- Add flour and baking powder, beating until well mixed--about a minute. Don't over mix.
- Bake in preheated oven: 18-22 minutes for cupcakes, about 25 minutes for cakes, until tops are springy to the touch or a toothpick poked into the center comes out clean.
- Let cool in pans for 10 minutes, then remove to finish cooling on a wire rack. Once they’re cool, I recommend refrigerating for at least 15 minutes before frosting.
Cinnamon Chocolate Frosting
This recipe makes about 2 cups frosting -- just enough for one 3-layer cake. If you like A LOT of frosting, I recommend 1 ½-ing it.
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter at room temperature
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Beat butter, cinnamon, and cocoa until smooth. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency. Beat in vanilla and add small amount of additional milk, if needed.