- 1 kg. ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed or chopped finely
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1/4 cup matzoa meal or unsalted cracker crumbs
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon bacon fat or schmaltz
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon crushed gray salt
- Mash everything together in a big bowl.
- Form the meat into patties. Try to make them about the thickness of your hand, but not much thicker.
- Heat a cast iron pan or a stove top grill.
- Fry the burgers on medium heat until they're browned on the bottom side, then flip them.
- When they're brown enough on both sides, and cooked all the way through, place them on a plate to cool and set a bit.
- Serve with lettuce, tomato, and whatever other vegetables and condiments you like with burgers.
- Put them between two slices of bread or inside a pita pocket.