Campus Computing Guides
The Environmental Center at the University of Colorado at Boulder and California State University, Fullerton, have both published detailed computing guides with tips for saving paper and energy. Both guides encourage students, faculty, and staff to adopt one or more of these best practices:
· Print conscientiously. Choose double-sided printing and copying whenever possible. Print slide presentations in formats like Notes Pages or Handouts. Edit papers online with Microsoft markups or Google Docs. (Visit the Document Sharing page for more information about both editing tools.)
· Network and share printers among offices and departments.
· Recycle used printer cartridges.
· Recycle paper waste. Use the backs of old flyers, reports, and other non-sensitive documents as scrap paper.
· Use 100% post consumer recycled paper in all printers and photocopiers.
· Use a smaller monitor. A 17-inch monitor uses 30% more energy than a 15-inch monitor during active use.
· Say NO to screen savers with moving images! The images will cause your monitor to consume as much energy as it does during active use.
· Select Energy Star “sleep mode” settings and other energy-efficient options for your computer and monitor.
Want to make sure that your computer complies with
Energy Star’s recommendations? For Mac users,
open any application and select the Apple menu. Choose System Preferences or Control
Panels and then click on Energy Saver. For Windows users, right-click on your desktop and
choose Properties. Select the Screen Saver tab and look for the Energy Star logo. Click on the
Power button to open the Power Options Properties box.
Energy Star suggests 20 minutes for monitor sleep and 30 minutes for system sleep. Remember that you monitor must be able to shut down in order to go to sleep. In other words, disable your screen saver!
Energy Star is a joint program of the Environmental Protection Agency and the Department of Energy. Find other facts, hints, and
strategies for greening your home and office on the Energy Star website.