On February 3, 1934 the Southeastern Michigan Band and Orchestra Association was formed. This single district organization gained the attention of other areas of the state. . It was through the efforts of Dale C. Harris of Pontiac and Mac E. Carr of River Rouge that MSBOA was founded.
MSBOA sponsors music events for school bands, orchestras, and music educators fifth through twelfth grade in the state of Michigan. The headquarters for MSBOA is located in Lansing, MI. The organization is divided into 16 Districts based on geography. Each MSBOA district has a board of officers that represent its' respective schools and preside over district events. Rockford bands belong to MSBOA District X.
Some events sponsored by MSBOA are:
* All- State Bands/ Orchestras for MS and HS students
* MS and HS Solo & Ensemble Festival
* HS State Solo & Ensemble
* District & State Band/Orchestra Festival
* District Marching Band Festival
* Adjudication training for Solo Ensemble, Band/Orchestra Festival, and Marching Band Festivals
* Honors Bands (HS & MS rotates every other year in District X)
* Music Ed Workshop
* Michigan Music Conference (music educator’s conference held in January in Grand Rapids, MI)
More information about MSBOA can be found at: www.msboa.org