Keepers and Custodians of East Point Light
NAME WAGE STATUS DATE OF ATTENDANCE
William W. Yarrington $350 8-10-1849 to 8-24-1849
Francis Elberson $350 8-25-1849 to 8-21-1853
Peter Souder $350 Removed 8-22-1853 to 3-26-1861
William Tice $350 Deceased 3-27-1861 to 4-20-1867
Benjamin Tice $540 Resigned 4-21-1867 to 7-10-1876
Gilbert Compton $550 Deceased 7-1 1-1876 to 2-8-1887
Thomas Foster $500 Deceased 2-9-1887 to 10-20-1891
Charles W. Norton $500 Transferred 10-21-1891 to 3-12-1894
William Harrington $500 Transferred 3-27-1894 to 10-30-1905
Linwood Spicer $500 12-1-1905 to ???
Samuel Flick $1 12-7-1911 to???
John Dougherty $1 Poor Health circa 1918 to ???
Harold B Johnson Moved to Bivalve circa 1919 to ???
A. Snedeker $1 Resigned 1925 to ???
D.B. Broadwater $1 circa 1926 to ???
Joseph L. Peacock $1/$435/$1 Deceased 1926 to 1938
Sherman Tozour 1938
Gustave Eulitz 1941
"Deceased" means died while in office.
From Annual report of the Secretary of War, Volume 2 By United States. War Dept 1883
REPORT OF MR. JOHN J. LEE, ASSISTANT ENGINEER.
Fort Delaware, Del., June 30, 1883.
Colonel: The following report on the improvement of Maurice River, New Jersey is respectfully submitted.
Maurice River is one of the largest and most important streams in Southern New Jersey. In 1881 a survey of the river from the entrance to Millville, the head of navigation and 24 miles from the mouth, was made as called for in the act of March 3, 1881. A full report of the results of this survey was published in the report of the Chief of Engineers for 1882, pages 809 to 814.
The obstructions to navigation are confined to the approach from Delaware Bay through Maurice River Cove, and to the upper 4 miles below Millville.
The conditions at the entrance are unfavorable to an increase of channel depth. Broad flats, covered with not more than 4 or 5 feet of water extend from the mouth of the river a distance of 2i miles before reaching 6 feet at low water, with a depth increasing gradually for 4 miles more to the Jow-water curve of 12 feet. No dredged channel would remain open, and the cost of permanent dikes in such an exposed position would be very great.
A project and estimate for the improvement, of the upper part of the river, by dredging a 6-foot low-water channel to Millville from about 4 miles below, were submitted with the report of the survey. A more minute survey of that part of the river will, however, be necessary before establishing definitely the lines of the improvement. The act of August 2, 1882, contained an appropriation of $3,000, for commencing this work ; but as the amount was too small to be expended to advantage, all operations were suspended by direction of the Secretary of War, until further appropriation may be made.
The Board of Trade at Millville, assisted by Col. J. Howard Willets, of Port Elizabeth, have furnished the following statistics of the towns along the banks of the river:
Millrille is a manufacturing town of 9,000 inhabitants, and has fifteen hollow-ware furnaces, two window-glass furnaces, one cotton mill, two foundries, one bleachery, one machine shop, one canning factory, one saw-mill, and a ship-yard. A vessel of about 500 tons register is built every year. Thirty-five vessels are owned here and two tugs are constantly employed on the river. A steamer runs regularly to Philadelphia twice a week.
AMOUNT OF MERCHANDISE RECEIVED ANNUALLY.
Lumber feet.. 3,300,000
Sand tons.. • 2,400
Lime do... 260
Coal do... 14,500
Clay do... 3,000
Hay .; do... 850
AMOUNT OF MERCHANDISE SHIPPED ANNUALLY.
Window glass boxes.. 64,000
Bottles dozen.. 5,000,000
Wood cords.. 2,500
Hay tons.. 11,250
Bricks ...... 1,000,000
Sand • tons.. ....14,000
Miscellaneous .......tons.. 31,000
It is estimated that the commerce of Millville would be at least doubled if there was a good channel up to its wharves. '
Port Elizabeth.—There is a glass factory here. About 1,500 cords of wood are shipped annually and much produce.
From Bricksborough 1,000 cords of wood are shipped annually and produce of all kinds.
Mauricetown.—Here there is a large ship-yard and marine railway; three vessels, averaging 900 tons register, are built annually and a registered of 5,000 is owned here, exclusive of oyster boats. The lumber for these vessels, amount not stated, is brought from Southern ports. A large amount of sweet'potatoes and other produce is shipped, including 250,000 melons and about 1,200 cords of wood. Located here are a canning factory, a steam saw-mill, and lumber and coal yards. At the customhouse at this port forty vessels have received licenses beween March 27 and June 17, 1883.
Dorchester has a ship-yard and marine railway, where several vessels of from 500 to 1,000 tons are built yearly. From here, and from Watt's Landing below, much produce is shipped, and at all the above towns large quantities of coal, lumber, and miscellaneous merchandise are received, the total amount not being stated.
Port Norris, near the mouth of the river, is the headquarters of the oyster trade. It has a large oyster cannery and a marine railway where over one hundred vessels are repaired annually. The yearly amount of oysters brought into the river is 780,000 tons, a large portion of which are shipped by rail from Port Norris.
The total tonnage of vessels owned and plying upon the river is 24,918.
A wreck lying about 1.5 miles from the mouth of the river is a dangerous obstruction to vessels bound in or out. Measures for its removal during the present season are now in progress.
Very respectfully, your obedient servant,
John J. Lke,