East Point Lighthouse is the second oldest lighthouse in New Jersey. Built in 1849, the lighthouse is located on the east bank of the mouth of the Maurice River. Its purpose is to guide fishermen, oystermen and other mariners into the river from the Delaware Bay. The light was extinguished at the beginning of WWII in 1941. The light was not re-lit after the war and was abandoned until 1971 when the Maurice River Historical Society was formed to protect and restore it. In 1980 the Coast Guard reinstalled a beacon and put the East Point Lighthouse back on the list of active navigational aids. Major exterior renovation took place in 1998.This work included restoring the lantern room, repointing the bricks, replacing the porch, the windows and the shutters with accurate replicas.