Gainsborough is a small market town on the eastern bank of the River Trent in the North West of Lincolnshire, England. The West Lindsey Council headquarters are based in Gainsborough. The town's main tourist attraction is Gainsborough Old Hall.
Gainsborough was once Britain's most inland port.Henry VIII came to Gainsborough in 1541 while on his way to York. Accompanying him was his fifth wife, Catherine Howard, along with some 5000 soldiers and 200 tents! At this time his future sixth wife, Katherine Parr, was married to Lord Latimer, having been previously married to Lord Burgh's eldest son, Edward. The Lord Burghs were owners of Gainsborough Old Hall between 1460 and 1596. Today this red brick market town and river port has retained some of its 18th century buildings, but its jewel is Gainsborough Old Hall
Medieval Magnificence, reputedly the best Baronial hall in the land, owned by only three families right up to the 1970s (Lord Burghs from 1460 to 1596, Hickmans from 1596 to 1826 and Bacons from 1826 to 1970) and now preserved by English Heritage. Richard III and Henry VIII dined here, John Wesley preached here, the Pilgrims met secretly here. It was a factory, a store, a market, a pub. Walk inside this awesome past. Take in the wonderful view of the Trent Valley, almost to the Humber, from the top of the tower in the Old Hall.