Home‎ > ‎Biographies‎ > ‎

Carter, William R.

    Mr. William Ringwood Carter was born in 1861 on board his father's ship, then lying in Pensacola Harbor.  His father, Captain William H. Carter, was engaged in the merchant marine at the time, and on the breaking out of the war engaged in blockade running in the interests of the Confederacy.  He removed his family to New York, meanwhile, where they remained till the restoration of peace.

    In 1867 Captain Carter, in his ship, the Helen T. Cooper, started on a voyage around the world, taking his wife and son with him.  They visited several European countries, doubled the Cape of Good Hope and passed into the Orient.  In Burma, in 1869, both of young Carter's parents died and he was left, at the age of eight years, an orphan in a strange land.  He found a friend, however, in the person of French gentleman, M. Fontenay, a former friend of his father, by whom he was adopted and taken to Calcutta.  There he entered La Martiniere College, where he remained a student for nine years.  He then went to sea, but soon tiring of that life, he returned once more to his native land to look after certain properties which he had inherited.  After a year spent in fruitless law suits to recover his property, of which he was eventually defrauded, Mr. Carter, at the age of nineteen, returned to Florida and located at Milton, where he taught school for two years.

    In West Florida Mr. Carter discovered a field for profitable commercial operations, and with his characteristic energy went boldly to work to supply a section of several thousand square miles with sewing machines.  In this he was highly successful.  It was during this period that he first met Ex-Chief Justice Liddon, with whom he was frequently associated in business transactions.

    In 1885 Mr. Carter came ot Jacksonville and entered the field of journalism, where he has achieved unusual success.  His first work was that of reporter on the Florida Evening Herald, then published by John Temple Graes and H. W. Clark, the present Postmaster of Jacksonville. 

    In 1887 the Herald was sold, and Mr. Carter, in company with Rufus A. Russell, who had been foreman of the Hearld, established the Evening Metropolis, which has been one of the most conspicuous successes of Southern afternoon papers.  Starting with a capital of $600, they refused, three years later, an offer of $30,000 for the plant and business.  The Metropolis is a financial success and constantly growing in influence.

    Mr. Carter has long been a social leader in Jacksonville.  His courtesy, amiability and gentlemanly breeding make him a favorite at all social affairs, and withal he is a wealthy young bachelor.