Congratulations to all students who performed! Dunedin High School was well represented at this event, and many students will be traveling to the State level in late March.
This year, the Pinellas County Music Educators Association asked the adjudicators to nominate performances from around the county as "Critics' Choices." These performances will then be asked to perform at important district events, such as School Board meetings, the annual Legislative Breakfast, and more. Two of our ensembles were nominated and have been noted with a "**".
- Kiernan Adams - Tuba Solo: Superior
- Erika Brewer - Bass Clarinet Solo: Superior
- Hunter Welch - Timpani Solo: Excellent
- Julia Hodge and Trinity Pifer - Flute Duet: Superior
- **Ken Beaty, Brady Helms, Jarod Jones, Andrew Lunder - Trombone Quartet: Superior
- Brass Choir - Brady Helms (conductor), Matt Herrada, Morgan Laughlin, Jerald Benz, Nick McIntosh, Jacob Sprague, Wesley Finch, Jarod Davis, Ken Beaty, Jared Jones, Andrew Lunder, Jacob Fox: Superior
- Erin King - Mallet Solo: Superior
- Jacob Sprague - Horn Solo: Excellent
- Emma Quinn and Molly Quinn - Mallet Duet: Superior
- Cameron Ehmig and Reed Harvin - Multi-Percussion Duet: Superior
- Emma Quinn and Ian Currie - Mallet Duet: Superior
- Jacob Fox and Kyle Waters - Tuba Duet: Superior
- Ally Bauer and Tasha Deal - Flute Duet: Superior
- Tristan Freyer, Joel Lopez-Espino, Jared Roldan, Brandon Schwab - Saxophone Quartet: Superior
- Adrien Carrasquillo, Avery Gumto, Spenser Frierson, Joey Wallace - Saxophone Quartet: Superior
- Wesley Finch, Matt Herrada, Morgan Laughlin, Justin Sokolowski - Trumpet Quartet: Excellent
- Clarinet Choir - Erika Brewer, Tristan Briller, Tatiana Giron, James Gray, Mike Harris, Billy Irle, Jenna Laughlin, Jacob Massotto, Kate Milligan, Lexi Miller, Joey Wallace, Hannah Wyllie: Superior
- Woodwind Choir - Ally Bauer, Erika Brewer, Tristan Briller, Rebekah Brouillette, Kirsten Deal, Tasha Deal, James Gray, Jenna Laughlin, Joel Lopez-Espino, Kate Milligan, Lexi Miller, Brandon Schwab, Michelle Wilson: Superior
- **Percussion Choir - Nick Bremer, Rebekah Brouillette, Skylar Campbell, Ian Curire, Victoria Deveaux, Cameron Ehmig, Jason Goldstein, Reed Harvin, Laz Herrada, Erin King, Sydney Lim, Emma Quinn, Molly Quinn, D.J. Street, Hunter Welch: Superior
- Tasha Deal - Flute Solo: Superior
- Jenna Laughlin - Clarinet Solo: Superior
- Kirsten Deal, Mike Harris, Jacob Massotto, Brandon Schwab - Saxophone Quartet: Superior
- Jacob Massotto - Alto Saxophone Solo: Excellent
- Madison McCraney - Saber Solo: Superior
- Destiny Swainston - Dance Solo: Superior
- Ryann Duff - Flag Solo: Excellent
- Jasmine Dell - Flag Solo: Excellent
- Jasmine Dell - Rifle Solo: Excellent
- Faith Gabbard - Flag Solo: Excellent
- Autumn Giacchina - Dance Solo: Excellent
- Madelyn Gogola - Rifle Solo: Excellent
- Ryann Duff, Madison McCraney, Faith Gabbard, Jasmine Dell, Destiny Swainston, Savannah Graff - Color Guard: Superior
- Jasmine Dell, Ryann Duff, Faith Gabbard, Autumn Giacchina, Madelyn Gogola, Savannah Graff, Sharlee Norquest, Sarah Sook, Madison McCraney, Destiny Swainston, Callie O'Brien - Highland Dancers: Excellent
- Grade 5 - 6th place
- Grade 4 - 1st Place!
- Autumn G.: 1st Fling, 3rd Seann Triubhas, 1st Lilt
- Faith G .: 5th Fling, 5th Sword, 4th Seann Triubhas, 4th Lilt
- Lily A.: 4th Fling, 2nd Sword, 2nd Seann Triubhas, 3rd Lilt
- Madison M.: 3rd Fling, 5th Seann Triubhas, 2nd Lilt
- Destiny S.: 3rd Fling, 4th Seann Triubhas, 3rd Flora
- Jasmine D.: 4th Fling, 4th Sword, 3rd Flora
- Madelyn G.: 2nd Fling, 2nd Seann Triubhas, 1st Hornpipe
- Molly Q.: 1st, Amateur Bass of the Day
Grade 4 Snare
Grade 3 Snare
- Cameron E.: 5th 2/4 March
- Ian C.: 4th 2/4 March
- Joeseph W.: 1st 6/8 March, 2nd 2/4 March, Grade 3 Drummer of the Day
Grade 2 Snare
- DJ S.: 1st 2/4 March, 1st 6/8 March, Grade 2 Drummer of the Day
Amateur Tenor II
- Taylor C.: 1st 2/4 March, Amateur Tenor II of the Day
Amateur Tenor I
- Rebekah B.: 1st MSR, Amateur Tenor I of the Day
- Jacob M.: 1st Piobaireachd, 4th March, Grade 4 Piper of the Day
- Jaice C.: 1st March
- John H.: 3rd March
- Michael H: 2nd March
- Carlos S.: 3rd Piobaireachd, 6th March
- Emma B: 2nd Piobaireachd, 2nd March, 6th Strathspey & Reel
- James G.: 1st March, 3rd Strathspey & Reel
- Kirsten D.: 2nd Piobaireachd, 3rd March, 1st Strathspey & Reel, Grade 2 Piper of the Day
Shirts have arrived, music is copied, and we're doing our best to make sure you have an instrument (if you requested one). We are out of tenor/baritone saxes
, however. We do have extra shirts for sale for folks who signed up late, but we may run out of your size!
Music is available in the following DropBox links:
- Please arrive no later than 6:30, if possible. We would love to have you march into the stadium with us, and arriving early ensures you have time to get reacquainted with your instrument!
- Pre game will start at 7:15pm.
- T-shirts are $12 dollars. Checks can be made payable to DHS Band Boosters.
- Entry Fee to the Game is $6. If you arrive early, you shouldn't have to pay parking. However, parking is $5 dollars.
- We will make sure you have a meal ticket to be presented at the concession stand for a free hamburger or hot dog, chips, and a drink.
If you have any questions, please email Mr. Ian Black at email@example.com.
Real Alumni Wore Kilts!
Hey Alumni Out There! We want you to perform with us at the Homecoming Game on September 26th!
What: Sign up on the "Contact Us" page. If you need an instrument, we will do our best to loan you one for the day (or earlier, if you need time to brush up on your skills!).
When: September 26th. We will do a brief rehearsal at 5:15pm on the field, then enjoy tailgating in the parking lot while the band gets ready.
Cost: $12 for an Alumni shirt, $6 to enter the game (PCSB policy). Alumni will also receive a meal ticket for a free hamburger, chips, and a drink.
Music: We will be posting a Dropbox Link for the Alma Mater and Scotland the Brave. Stay tuned!
It's that time of year again! Here is the information for the 2014-2015 Band Camp!
- Friday July 25: Incoming Freshman Camp Day -- 11am - 5pm
- Monday July 28 - Friday August 1st: Band Camp Week 1 -- 8:00am to 6:30pm
- Monday August 4 - Friday August 8th: Band Camp Week 2 -- 8:00am to 6:30pm
- Friday August 8th: SNEAK PEEK BBQ -- 6:30pm @ DHS Stadium
What To Bring
- Your instrument with necessary equipment/accessories (we will rent instruments on the first day, but please provide your own reeds for WW players, as well as mouthpieces and ligatures where possible)
- Comfortable outdoor clothing (light colored t-shirt, shorts, sneakers, hat, sunglasses)
- A half-gallon water cooler OR hydration backpack with the student's name clearly printed on it with a Sharpie. Hydration backpacks available at Wal-Mart, Target, or Sam's Club, and are the preferred method of hydration among band members.
- DEODORANT, sunscreen, DEODORANT
- Flip folder / lyre for your instrument -- available at Sam Ash Music or a local music store
- A Pencil (The Magical Stick of Correctness)
- A HEALTHY bagged lunch (do not include items which require refrigeration)
- A Great Attitude and Work Ethic!
Make sure students also complete a sports physical with a local physician/doctor. Dr. Pat Snair of Back'N'Balance in Dunedin is still offering physicals for our students as a fundraiser for our program.
If you have any additional questions, please email Mr. Black: firstname.lastname@example.org
*Whew* Have you recovered from the Scotland Trip yet? If you haven't checked out the Facebook page, go see all the pictures that Mrs. Lumm posted of the trip. Outstanding!
Our 2014 Band Camp is slowly approaching, and we will be having 2 Wind Player pre-camps to distribute music, rent instrument, and start learning stand tunes and the 2014 show! The camps are from 6 to 8pm and will be taught by Mr. Cantin, Dr. McKinney, and Mr. Black. Please bring your flip folder and lyre. PERCUSSIONISTS: Stay tuned for Pre-Camp dates.
On Friday July 18, Dr. Pat Snair from Back N' Balance in Dunedin will be conducting physicals for Band members at DHS from 9am - 4pm. The cost is $15 dollars, and will be donated back to the Band program! If you would like to schedule an appointment, contact Mrs. Bert at email@example.com. Make sure to get your physical done before Band Camp starts!
Congratulations to the members of Wind Ensemble for their performance today at the State Band Assessment at the University of South Florida. Your performance demonstrated artistry, sensitivity, and passion -- and it was noticed!
Over the past 52 years, the Dunedin High School Band has been represented at the State level a handful of times. This time was a significant one, as the Band earned its first overall Superior rating at the State level!
Superior Wind Ensembles Wear Kilts!
· Grade 5— 5th place out of 9 bands - and 2 judges ranked them 3rd!
· Grade 4— 1st Place &
2014 FLORIDA EUSPBA CHAMPIONS
o This makes 6 1st place finishes
in a row and back-to-back Florida Champions
· Piping Grade 2
o James Gray—2nd in
Piobaireachd , 6th in 2/4 March, 4th in Strathspey &
Reel, 2nd in Jig, and Piper of the Day
o Kirsten Deal—3rd in
Piobaireachd, 4th in 2/4 March, and 1st in Jig
· Piping Grade 3
o Josh Blais—3rd in
Piobaireachd, 5th in Strathspey & Reel, 6th in Jig
o Emma Brandmaier—5th in 2/4
March, 3rd in Strathspey & Reel, 3rd in Jig
· Piping Grade 4
o Cameron Sowinski—4th in
Piobaireachd, 4th in 2/4 March, 6th in 6/8 March,
o Truth McCraney—6th in
o Michael Harris—5th in 6/8
· Piping Grade 5
o Jacob Sprague—1st place
· Snare Grade 3
o DJ Street—1st Place
o Ian Currie—2nd Place
o Jeremy Roldan—3rd Place
· Snare Grade 4
o Devin Rhoden—5th Place
· Tenor Amateur II
o Rebekah Brouillette—1st
· Bass Amateur
o Molly Quinn—2nd Place
· Beginner Under 15
o Lily Ahern—1st in Lilt,
Fling, Sword, Seann Triubhas & Trophy
· Beginner 16 & over
o Callie O’Brien—3rd in
Fling & Sword
o Ryann Duff—3rd in Lilt, 5th
in Fling, 2nd in Sword, 5th in Seann Truibhas
o Faith Gabbard—2nd in Lilt,
4th in Fling, 5th in Sword, 1st in Seann Truibhas
o Madison McCraney—4th in
Lilt, 2nd in Fling, 4th in Sword, 4th in Seann Truibhas
o Yvette Dixon—6th in Fling,
6th in Seann Truibhas
o Jasmine Dell—1st in Fling
& Sword, 3rd in Seann Truibhas, & Trophy
· Premier 17 & Over
o Tasha Deal-3rd in Sean
Thank you to Tonya Deal for compiling all of this wonderful news!
It's that time of year again! Prospective candidates for leadership should read through the packet to determine the requirements for their chosen position(s). Packets are due April 14th
, so don't wait! Please see Mr. Black if you have any questions. Click here
to access the Leadership Packet.
Congratulations to all members of the Scottish Highlander Band who participated in the State Solo and Ensemble MPA held in Sanford, Florida this past Friday. Here are the results of the day:
- Percussion Ensemble: Victoria Deveaux, Cameron Ehmig, Yvette Dixon, Emma Quinn, Molly Quinn, Erin King, Reed Harvin, David Barnard, Ian Currie, Jeremy Roldan, Skylar Campbell, D.J. Street: Superior with Distinction (memorized)
- Jenna Laughlin - Clarinet Solo: Superior
- Tasha Deal - Flute Solo: Superior
- Alysha Newton - Horn Solo: Superior
- Cameron Ehmig and Reed Harvin - Percussion Duet: Superior
- Ian Currie and Yvette Dixon - Mallet Duet: Excellent
- Michelle Wilson - Bassoon Solo: Excellent
- D.J. Street - Mallet Solo: Excellent
- Molly Quinn - Mallet Solo: Excellent
- Ken Beaty, Brady Helms, Andrew Lunder - Trombone Trio: Excellent
- Jeremy Roldan - Timpani Solo: Superior
- Jacob Massotto, Kirsten Deal, Josh Blais, Mike Harris - Sax Quartet: Superior
- Emma Quinn - Mallet Solo: Excellent
- Jeremy Roldan - Mallet Solo: Excellent
- Lisa Wallace - Bassoon Solo: Excellent
- Jeremy Roldan - Snare Drum Solo: Superior
- Danny Mariscal, Matt Herrada, Alysha Newton, Brady Helms, Jacob Fox - Brass Quintet: Superior
- Madison McCraney - Rifle Solo: Superior
Outstanding job to everyone! RBWK!