Over the past three decades, the rate of childhood obesity in America has tripled. Today, nearly one in three children in America are overweight or obese. The numbers are even higher in African American and Hispanic communities, where nearly 40% of the children are overweight or obese. Obesity is avoidable with healthy eating and physical fitness. DTYCTS provides the opportunity to talk to fathers about how to incorporate healthy eating and physical fitness in their homes. In addition, there are many creative ways to have children and fathers participate in physical activities throughout the event.Example Activities:
- The following health & wellness activities could be made available at the school during the event:
- Invite health professionals to come in and speak about the importance of child health and/or men’s health.
- Provide blood pressure screenings for dads
- Discuss specific men’s health issues such as prostate cancer screening, colorectal screening, hypertension and diabetes
- A responsible father is a healthy father.
- Invite Federal partners from the Let’s Move! campaign to discuss the campaign’s goal and how families and schools can make healthy choices and build healthy communities.
- Plan physical activities that dads and children can participate in together, such as:
- Dads & children vs. Dads & children basketball game.
- Dads & children’s victory lap around the school at the end of the event.
- Host a cooking class for dads and have the children help as assistant chefs.
- Let’s Move! Volunteer chefs can come in to provide a cooking demonstration and lesson.
- Plan a discussion on health literacy, accessing benefits, and the Affordable Care Act.