The Diamond State Reading Association is a professional non-profit organization composed of individuals who are advocates for quality literacy instruction, and committed to continued professional growth as educators. DSRA is the state affiliate of the International Reading Association, a worldwide organization with affiliates in more than 99 countries with more than 300,000 members.
The mission of the Diamond State Reading Association is to serve as a professional educational network which promotes literacy for all learners.
DSRA is composed of three local councils: Sussex County Reading Council, Kent Council for Reading, and Reading Council of Northern Delaware.
- Initiate and support technology and literacy programs
- Support activities of local reading councils and IRA student groups
- Expand advocacy efforts related to literacy and education
- Promote DSRA as a leader in community collaborative literacy projects
- Support and encourage literacy activities that directly service students
- Support literacy initiatives around the world especially in developing countries
- Promote increased IRA, DSRA, and Local Council membership throughout our state
- Initiate and support the incorporation of new IRA councils at local colleges and universities
- Promote DSRA as a leader in state wide community professional development