See Hands-On Physics (3.4).
Balance the meter stick at the 0.50m (50 cm) mark. Measure the mass of the hanger and mass for a series of different masses. Place one anywhere you wish on the left side. Balance the meter stick by using a differnt size mass on the other side. Place your numbers in the spreadsheet below.
Use the quickwrite to answer the following questions:
- Examine the graph that displays class data of the relationship between clockwise and counter-clockwise torque in a balanced system.
- Describe the relationship between clockwise torque and counter-clockwise torque in a balanced system. Write an equation that describes this relationship.
- Mechanical advantage is a measure of the force amplification achieved by using a tool, mechanical device or machine system. What is the formula for mechanical advantage?
- What is sacrificed when the mechanical advantage is greater than 1? What is gained?
- Explain the following diagram