Vietnamese (native) and English (fluent)
2016 – Present: College of Pharmacy, Seoul National University
2009 – 2015: University of Medicine and Pharmacy, Ho Chi Minh City
Doctor of Medicine (M.D.)
2013 – 2015: Freelance researcher.
- Biomarker discovery and validation for early detection, diagnosis, and prognosis of cancer.
- Molecular mechanisms, particularly metabolome and lipidome alterations of the cells in specific stimulation, of various diseases.
- The integration of multi-omics to facilitate the advancement of translational research and precision medicine.
- Epidemiological research and evidence-based medicine in various disciplines.
- Food science, human nutrition, and Caenorhabditis elegans-based environmental pollution research.
Analytical instrumentations (advanced level)
- Liquid chromatography-Mass spectrometry (QqQ and Q-ToF).
- Gas chromatography-Mass spectrometry (Q and ToF).
Applied Biostatistics, Chemometrics, and Bioinformatics (advanced level)
- Machine learning applications in omics data.
- Mass spectrometry-based metabolomics and lipidomics data preprocessing and statistical analysis.
- Omics-related data mining: HMDB, PubChem, DAVID, KEGG, and so on.
- Microarray-based transcriptomics data analysis, including meta-analysis.
- RNA-seq transcriptomics data analysis.
- Biostar Handbook: Learn bioinformatics in 100 hours (learning).
- Single-cell RNA-seq data processing, statistical analysis, and visualization (September 2018, Datacamp)
- Data visualization and network analysis.
- Systematic review and meta-analysis of clinical and epidemiological studies (conventional and Rayyan platform based methods).
- Epidemiological and clinical trials data analysis.
Professional Software and Tools (advanced level)
- Operating system: Windows and Linux (flexible).
- Working environment: R (advanced user in data science, bioinformatics, and statistical analysis) and Python (intermediate user in bioinformatics and data science).
- Other popular software and toolkit for scientific research, particularly for omics and clinical studies.
Biological experiments (intermediate level)
- Frequently used in vitro molecular techniques: cell culture, PCR, Western Blots, siRNA-based gene knockdown, phenotype assays, and so forth.
- Mitochondrial and Mitochondria-associated ER membranes isolation for omics experiments.
- Frequently used in vivo techniques: behavior tests and surgery (brain section, blood perfusion, and so forth).
- Referee of peer-reviewed journals:
- BMC infectious diseases
- Other journals (unofficially)
- Consultant in biomedical research: from study design to publication.
- Consultant in academic writing.
- Academic translation and editing.
- Bach DH, Long NP, Anh NH, Luu TTT, Kwon SW, Lee SK. The Dominant Role of Forkhead Box Proteins in Cancer. International Journal of Medical Sciences. 2018 Oct (Co-first author).
- Long NP, Yoon SJ, Anh NH, Nghi TD, Lim DK, Hong YJ, Hong SS, Kwon SW. A systematic review on metabolomics-based diagnostic biomarker discovery and validation in pancreatic cancer. Metabolomics. 2018 Aug 1;14(8):109 (First author)
- Long NP, Jung KH, Yoon SJ, Anh NH, Nghi TD, Kang YP, Yan HH, Min JE, Hong SS, Kwon SW. Systematic assessment of cervical cancer initiation and progression uncovers genetic panels for deep learning-based early diagnosis and proposes novel diagnostic and prognostic biomarkers. Oncotarget. 2017 Dec (First author)
- Long NP, Lim DK, Mo C, Kim G, Kwon SW. Development and assessment of a lysophospholipid-based deep learning model to discriminate geographical origins of white rice. Scientific Reports. 2017;7. (Co-first author)
- Lim DK, Long NP, Mo C, Dong Z, Cui L, Kim G, Kwon SW. Combination of mass spectrometry-based targeted lipidomics and supervised machine learning algorithms in detecting adulterated admixtures of white rice. Food Research International. 2017 Aug 4. (Co-first author)
- Tam NT, Huy NT, Thoa LT, Long NP, Trang NT, Hirayama K, Karbwang J. Participants’ understanding of informed consent in clinical trials over three decades: systematic review and meta-analysis. Bulletin of the World Health Organization. 2015 Mar;93(3):186-98H. (The Official scientific journal of World Health Organization, a highly cited article) [My very first serious scientific publication]
Selected Online Learning and Massive Open Online Courses (MOOC) certificates (accredited under the honor code of the provider):
Data science related courses
- Data science related courses on DataCamp (> 295,000 points), Udemy, and Udacity (practice on a weekly basis).
- Tidyverse Fundamentals with R Track (5 courses, 20+ hours) by DataCamp, December 2018.
- Python Programmer (10 courses, 36+ hours) by DataCamp, September 2018.
- R Programmer (10 courses, 40+ hours) by DataCamp, August 2018.
- Data Scientist with R (23 courses, 95+ hours of learning, 500+ comprehensive exercises) by DataCamp, May 2018.
Biomedical related courses
- 7.28.1x: Molecular Biology – DNA replication and Repair by MITx, USA; May 2015.
- PH525.3x: Advanced Statistics for the Life Sciences by Harvard University, USA; April 2015.
- HSPH-MHS214x: Fundamentals of Clinical Trials by Harvard University, USA; February 2014.
- Clinical Terminology for International and U.S. Students by Pittsburgh University, USA; January 2014.
- 4.01x: Take Your Medicine – The Impact of Drug Development by Austin University, USA; December 2014.
- Genomic and Precision Medicine by UCSF, USA; June 2014.
- Introduction to Pharmacy by The Ohio State University, USA; December 2013.
- Writing in Sciences by Stanford University, USA; November 2013.
- Programmed Cell Death (with Distinction) by Ludwig-Maximilians-Universitat-Munchen (LMU), German; September 2013.
- Epigenetics Control of Gene Expression (with Distinction) by Melbourne University, Australia; September 2013.
- 7.00x: Introduction to Biology – The Secret of Life by MITx, USA; June 2013.
- Clinical Problem Solving by UCSF, USA; March 2013.
HONORS AND AWARDS
Local and national scholarships and awards for exceptional contribution to the social and academic activities:
- Lecture & Research Scholarship by Seoul National University (SNU); Fall 2018.
- Lecture & Research Scholarship by SNU; Spring 2018.
- Lecture & Research Scholarship by SNU; Fall 2017.
- Global Scholarship by SNU for motivated and high-calibre graduate students; 2016.
- Award for Scientific Contributions by Vietnam Student Development Fund (VNSDF) organization; 2015.
- Odon Vallet Scholarship for outstanding students and young researchers nationwide; 2015.
- VNSDF Scholarship for excellent students; from 2012 to 2015.
- Gold Award Certificate for Scientific Activities by VNSDF organization; 2014.
- The 2013 – 2014 VNSDF Scientific Prize by VNSDF organization; 2013.
- First Prize in the scientific contest “The Physiology Olympiad” with the monograph entitled "Thụ thể - cấu trúc và chức năng" (Receptor - structures and functions) by University of Medicine and Pharmacy at Ho Chi Minh city (UMP), Viet Nam; 2011 (Team leader).
- First Prize in the “Netter Anatomy contest” by UMP; 2009 (Team member).
- Odon Vallet Scholarship for outstanding students and young researchers nationwide; 2009.
Co-founder of Biomedera Education, a non-profit organization whose mission is to provide free online educational courses for Vietnamese students in numerous subjects (Medicine, Statistics, and Languages).
Co-founder and main editor of Doc Sach Y Sinh, a book-based website in molecular cell biology.
Co-author of a Vietnamese e-book entitled “Sinh học phân tử tế bào” (Molecular Cell Biology): 1st edition (2011) and 2nd edition (2013). Worked under the direction of Dr. Phung Trung Hung.
Author and co-author of various health articles for the public.
Last update (August 9, 2018)