Bronchitis is an inflammation of the air passages within the lungs. It occurs when the trachea (windpipe) and the large and small bronchi (airways) within the lungs become inflamed because of infection or other causes.
- Coughing up extra mucus, sometimes with blood
- Inflammation of the bronchus (lower trachea)
- Hardening (edema) of the smooth muscle
- Blockage of the alveoli
- Wheezing (bubbling - referred to as "bubble wrap effect" when heard with stethoscope)
- Difficulty breathing (due to above symptoms)
- Blocked/Runny nose