Variety Arts Theatre

940 S. Figueroa St.    | map |

Los Angeles, CA 90015

Special Event Inquiries: For rental of the Variety Arts for filming or special event use, talk to Rebecca Reynoso at Cap Equity Locations, (323) 375-4192. Check out their web page on the Variety Arts for 259 photos of the property.


The News: In late 2015 a church group, Hill Song L.A., signed a fifteen year lease on the building. They also have two five year options beyond that.  The group has been holding their services at the nearby Belasco Theatre and occasionally at other downtown theatres. 

They will move into the building in early 2017 after some renovations are completed.  See the January 2016 Eddie Kim story in the L.A. Downtown News for more about the church group. 

The church's lease is sort of non-exclusive. The intent of the owners,
Robhana Management, Inc., is to find other users for some of the office and meeting spaces in the building that the church doesn't need.  The theatre would also be available for bookings by other groups.
 

Opened: May 5, 1924 as the Friday Morning Club, a social and political group for women that had been founded in 1891.  Will Rogers was the toastmaster at the opening and guests included Charlie Chaplin and C.B. DeMille. 

Architects: Allison and Allison designed the 6 story building. The firm's work got an article in the February 1923 issue of  The Building Review. This building was being planned -- the article includes some preliminary sketches. There are also several additional drawings later in the issue.

The October 1924 issue of Architect and Engineer gave the building a big spread including 12 photos in an article entitled "A New Club Building in Southern California." Originally the club’s executive offices were on the ground floor. The second floor included lounges and a library. The fourth floor offered an assembly room and dining area for 500 people. The fifth floor had an art gallery and two small club rooms.

Seating: The main theatre seats 1,100. The entrance is on the ground floor -- there's also a balcony.  The smaller theatre (on the third floor) seats 250.

History: The idea was that the main theatre, known as The Playhouse, would generate revenue to support the rest of the building. The first production was "Romance" with Doris Keane. 

Initially The Playhouse was operated by Louis O. Macloon's Los Angeles Playhouse, Inc.  His co-producer was his wife Lillian Albertson. His opening ad noted that he had:

"...the honor to announce the opening of the new and beautiful 'PLAYHOUSE,' erected and furnished at a cost of over $750,000 for the exclusive presentation of legitimate stage attractions with celebrated New York and London stars. The Playhouse is located on Figueroa at Ninth Street in the new Friday Morning Club Building -- the most ideal theatrical location in the entire city -- accessible to leading car lines and with ample automobile parking within one block radius."


J. Craig Owens, in a history he did for his Facebook page Bizarre Los Angeles, notes that:

"The Playhouse, later referred to as the Figueroa Playhouse – became a vaudeville house as well as a venue for original plays (usually written by Hollywood studio scribes) and a mix of classics and Broadway favorites. According to biographer David Bret, Clark Gable made his acting debut in May of 1925 in a production of 'Romeo & Juliet.'

Many silent film and early talkie actors appeared in staged productions throughout the 1920s, including Pauline Frederick, Lionel Barrymore, Patsy Ruth Miller, Dorothy Mackaye, Mae Busch and Dwight Frye."



An ad for a 1926 Pauline Frederick production at
The Playhouse, where she did a number of shows.
It's in a program for "The Butter and Egg Man" at
the Mason Theatre.  Click on it for a larger view.

 It's from the collection of Danni
Bayles-Yeager. On her site: full program



The cover for the November 1926 program of
"The Cradle Snatchers" at The Playhouse.
Click on it for a larger view

 It's from the collection of Danni
Bayles-Yeager. On her site: full program

Visit Danni's website:
 Bayles/Yeager Online Archive of the Performing Arts

| Danni's Playhouse Theatre page |


J. Craig Owens again:

"In 1929, the stage manager, author and cast members were arrested by 19 detectives in a raid following the final curtain for a controversial juvenile crime drama, 'Bad Babies.' Silent film star Jobyna Ralston was among those arrested. In 1930, the play was ruled 'indecent' and the cast members were required to pay a $300 fine for their participation in the production.

By 1930, the Playhouse was struggling to book new plays. After going dark for months, theatrical producer Victor Neuhaus of the locally renown German National Theater signed a five year lease in August of 1931, where he attempted to produce 'English, French and Spanish playwrights of the world.'

The theater was renamed the Neuhaus World Theater and its first production was 'The Living Mask' by Luigi Pirandello, starring Arnold Korff, reprising his role as 'Henry VI' from the Broadway version of the same play. The play received critical acclaim, however, the economic slump brought on by the Great Depression and the rising popularity of talking pictures made it difficult for a serious minded theater to exist."

In the 1934 city directory it's the Figueroa Playhouse. In the 1935 and 1936 city directories, it was listed as the Major Theatre with J.L. Crown as the manager.  From 1937 to 1939 it's back to being the Figueroa Playhouse.

Owens notes that from 1932 to 1938 CBS used the theatre for the "Burns and Allen Show" and that there were also broadcasts by Al Jolson, Eddie Cantor and, allegedly, a speech by Eleanor Roosevelt.  Dorothy Parker once spoke at the theatre as well.




A program cover for the Los Angeles Repertory Theatre's
first production at the Playhouse, "The Beggar's Opera." The
company's 2nd production was to be Molnar's "The Guardsman."
Thanks to Brady Westwater for finding the program.
full size view

From 1940 until at least 1942 the main theatre was running films and called the Times Theatre. There were also occasional stage shows and lectures during this period.  The theatre was sometimes advertised as the Figueroa 9th St.

Becoming the Variety Arts Center:  The Society for the Preservation of the Variety Arts bought the building from the Friday Morning Club in 1977 and renamed it the Variety Arts Center.  Milt Larson, of Magic Castle fame, headed the organization.  Programming in the theatre included a mix of shows intended as a tribute to variety and vaudeville entertainers.  The famed annual Larson presentation "It's Magic" at times used both the main and smaller theatre upstairs.

Under Larson, many different areas of the building were used as bars, exhibit areas and performance spaces.  The smaller upstairs theatre was branded as The Masquers Theatre. The organization also had a library focused on vaudeville and related topics. The building was granted landmark status on August 9, 1978.

Mark Barrett reports that they had a roof theatre operation going called the Roof Garden Theatre. He worked on a roof show called the "Variety Vanities of 1938" in 1982. 

Larsen closed the building at the end of 1988 on New Year's Eve due to an inability to pay the bills and back taxes.  He had filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in 1986.  In 1987 and '88 the theatre's calendar was filled with rock and pop shows in an attempt to generate enough revenue to save the building.  Larson had been shopping it around for an asking price in the $2.5 to $3.5 million range.

The Los Angeles Community Redevelopment Agency had loaned Larson's group $500,000 for restoration work and they now had to come up with an additional $1.7 million to forestall an IRS auction.
This bought some time to find a buyer for the property. The CRA held the first trust deed on the property. 

Later operators:  A number of operators used the building as a nightclub and concert venue. Paul Sehdeva had purchased the building in 1989 and operated one short-lived nightclub venture there.

It ended up in the hands of Anschutz Entertainment Group, developer of Staples Center just to the south of the Variety Arts Building, for a purchase price of about $8 million.  After they couldn't come up with a viable plan for the property, the building was sold in early 2007 to David Houk, who formerly owned the Pasadena Playhouse

Houk (partnered with Robert Abassi of RTI Properties) intended to produce original shows in the main theatre but the project was later put on hold awaiting more financing or an additional partner, neither of which materialized. There were only occasional rentals for the building.  Houk was also involved in the sad end of the Philharmonic Auditorium in the 1980s.

Status: Sold again in 2012 to Robhana Management, Inc. ( 213-683-8000), a unit of Robert Hanasab's Partners Capital (213-684-4800).  Prior to the sale it had been on the market for several years with an asking price just under $10 million.  Houk had earlier been looking for $12.5 million.

It'll be used by a church group when renovations  are completed in early 2017.  A lease was signed in late 2015.  The theatre will also be available for outside rentals.


Variety Arts Theatre in the Movies:


The Variety Arts is used for the auditorium of Windsor College,

the site of much of the action late in Wes Craven's "Scream 2"
 with Neve Campbell (Dimension Films, 1997).
larger view



A proscenium view in "Scream 2."
larger view



Neve Campbell going chopping backstage in "Scream 2."
larger view



A view from the stage out into the house in "Scream 2."
The dangerous man with the gun is Leiv Schreiber.
larger view

"Scream 2" opens with lots of action
at the Rialto Theatre in South Pasadena.




John C. Reilly onstage at the Variety Arts. The main theatre
was the scene for one his big concerts in "Walk Hard:
The Dewey Cox Story"
(Columbia, 2007).
 larger view  |  facing the stage  | sidewall view

The Variety Arts also appears in "Plush"
(Alliance Films, 2013) and "Vanished" (2013).


More on the Variety Arts: See the Cinema Treasures page on the Variety Arts Center.  Danni Bayles-Yeager has a page on the Playhouse as part of her Performing Arts Archive. 

The L.A. Times has many articles about the Variety Arts Center in their archives.

See  J. Craig Owens' 2011 Bizarre Los Angeles Facebook post for a good history of the building along with photos. His article came from digging into various Los Angeles Times articles.  Thanks, Craig!

BifRayRock's Noirish Los Angeles post #9393 includes a number of photos as well as the opening advertisement.

Curbed LA had a 2012 Adrian Glick Kudler story (with many photos by Elizabeth Daniels) about the building when it was being used for a haunted house: "Touring South Park's (Fake-Haunted) 1924 Variety Arts Theatre."  See photo #25 in the article for a reproduction of a 1933 newspaper detailing a story about the theatre manager's wife disappearing after assisting a magician perform the "Vanishing Maiden" trick. The article is also included in the Noirish Los Angeles post #32810 from Mr. Ethereal Reality.


More on the Friday Morning Club: 
J. Craig Owens has a 2011 post on the Facebook page Bizarre Los Angeles that includes a fine history of the building and the Friday Morning Club that built it.  He notes:

"Wealthy suffragist and abolitionist Caroline Severance had already established the New England Woman’s Club and the American Woman Suffrage Association back East before moving her family to Los Angeles in 1875. As soon as she settled into her estate on West Adams Street, she and her husband, Theodoric, founded the city’s first Unitarian congregation, Unity Church and established the first kindergarten in Los Angeles.

In 1891, at the age of 71, she founded the Friday Morning Club, Los Angeles’ first women’s political club and is credited as being the first woman to register and vote in the State of California. In 1899, Severence formed a corporation and issued stock to its membership of the Friday Morning Club. The money raised from the stock, made it possible to purchase a parcel of land on Figueroa between Ninth and Tenth to build a clubhouse, which would eventually be leased back to the club.

On September 14, 1899, the cornerstone for the clubhouse was laid. On January 19, 1900, four months later, a $13,000, two-story Mission revival structure was completed and opened for meetings. Severence died in 1914 at the age of 94; however, the club that she stared continued to prosper and grow its membership.

In April of 1922, the Friday Morning Club hired architects James & David Allison to design and build a brand new five-story, Italian Renaissance clubhouse on the site of the original building. At a cost of $750,000, the old clubhouse was razed and the new clubhouse was built."

Thanks, Craig!  See his post for more.


 about photos from other
websites that appear on this page...

We've tried to give appropriate credit. Please
contact us if there are incorrect attributions, links that
no longer work or other issues. A link near each image will
direct you to a full size version on the website hosting it.
Assume that all the images are subject to copyright
restrictions.  Contact the webmaster of the site in
question concerning reproduction or other use.



     Curbed LA    

la.curbed.com



Curbed LA's story by Adrian Glick Kudler about the
2012 use of the building for a haunted house extravaganza
 features a wonderful 25 photo set by Elizabeth Daniels.
"Touring South Park's...1924 Variety Arts Theatre."
Here we get a nice view upward looking at facade details.



A look at the lobby by Ms. Daniels.



A great photo of the rear of the main theatre.



Looking across the main theatre.



Looking toward the stage of the
smaller 3rd floor theatre.

See the story for larger views of the full 25 photo set:
"Touring South Park's...1924 Variety Arts Theatre."



   Library of Congress    


Historic Los Angeles Theatres  -- The Variety Arts

A look at the building in 1980 as part of the
Historic American Buildings Survey. 
full size view



A 1980 facade detail. 
full size view

| HABS index page | data pages - 10 page pdf |

There's no attribution on the LOC site but Hunter
Kerhart has determined that they're photos by Julius
Schulman. The Getty Research institute has two very
similar photos he took at the same time.


     The Location Portal    

www.thelocationportal.com



A view looking toward the stage of the main
 theatre on the Variety Arts Center page of the
site The Location Portal.
full size view



A look at the rear of the auditorium. 
full size view



A look down toward the stage of the 250 seat
third floor theatre from the mezzanine level
between 3rd & 4th floors.
 full size view



A view toward the rear of the third floor theatre. 
full size view




The former 4th floor ballroom, refitted as a club. 
full size view

The Location Portal's Variety Arts page has
72 views of the building to browse!



     former Variety Arts website   



The main theatre at the Variety Arts Center from the
balcony-- a view that used to be on on the Variety Arts
Center's now-defunct website, varietyartscenter.com.



A look at the 250 seat theatre.

     You Are Here    

www.you-are-here.com 


A view of the entrance by Martin on his terrific
site.
Note the changeable neon letters.
 full size view



A wonderful view toward the rear
of the main theatre. 
full size view




The Variety Arts Building.

photo: Bill Counter - 2010


[ click on any of the images for a larger view ]




The building shrouded for exterior restoration work.

photo: Bill Counter - January 2016




The helicopter view. The Variety Arts, shrouded,
is in the center of a whole district getting rebuilt.

photo: Hunter Kerhart - February 2016

Thanks, Hunter! The orange building behind the crane,
the Hotel Figueroa, is also getting a renovation.




The vista north on Figueroa.

photo: Hunter Kerhart - February 2016

Keep up with Hunter's explorations:
 
on Faceboook | hunterkerhart.com | on Flickr
South On Spring photography blog




A facade detail.

photo: Bill Counter - 2010



The newly painted up street level of the facade.

photo: Hunter Kerhart - 2012

More views by Hunter Kerhart:
facade view - fall 2013 |  dedication plaque - 2013  |
looking up at entrance arches - 2013  |  facade view - 2013  |



The north side of the building . The light patterns
 are reflections from the new building to the north.

photo: Bill Counter - 2010



Changeable neon letters - perhaps
 the last in use in Los Angeles.

photo: Bill Counter - 2010


The Variety Arts lobby.

photo: Cap Equity Locations - 2014


Cap Equity Locations brokers deals between various building
owners and those seeking spaces for filming or other purposes.
See their Variety Arts web page for 259 photos of the building.


A look toward the stage from the balcony of the
main theatre in the Variety Arts building.

photo: Cap Equity Locations - 2014



The view toward the rear of the auditorium
along the house left balcony arcade.

photo: Cap Equity Locations - 2014




The rear of the main theatre in the Variety Arts Building.

photo: Cap Equity Locations - 2014

[ click on any of these to enlarge  ]



A ceiling detail.

photo: Cap Equity Locations - 2014




A view along the house left wall from the stage.

photo: Cap Equity Locations - 2014




The small theatre up on the 3rd
floor -- a capacity of about 250.

photo: Cap Equity Locations - 2014


This smaller space was originally called the
Lecture Hall.  When Milt Larson had the building
 he called it The Masquers Theatre.



     Big Orange Landmarks    

bigorangelandmarks.blogspot.com 


Floyd B. Bariscale has compiled an extraordinary spread
on the
Variety Arts Center. Here's a view of the 1900 version
of the Friday Morning Club. It was demolished to make way for
the present building. 
   The photo is from the USC Archives.
full size view





A 1977 look at the present building. The photo is from
the Los Angeles Department of City Planning.
 full size view


Floyd has included a number of his own recent photos as well
as many historic images of the building in his article. And
there's even more on his Variety Arts photo set on Flickr.


     California State Library    

www.library.ca.gov


Here's a look at the lobby. The Library
has 13 photos of the 
building c. 1925 in
their Mott Studio collection. 

  full size view




Another shot of the lobby.
full size view



 Here we're looking at the proscenium
 in the main theatre.
      full size view




Another look toward the left
side of the auditorium. 
full size view




A view of the house right wall in
the main Variety Arts Theatre.  
full size view



An early exterior view with the Playhouse
 featuring one of their regular attractions, Pauline
Frederick in the play "Spring Cleaning."

More from the California State Library:


The Mott Studio photos shown above and six
additional ones are cataloged as set  001384324.

And the Library has another facade view from
across the street cataloged as set  001384378.



   L.A. Public Library Collection   

www.lapl.org 


Here's a view in 1926 from the Library's collection. 
On the marquee: "Coming Pauline Frederick."
 full size view



The facade in a c.1930 photo. 
full size view



A crowd for "Abie's Irish Rose" in the 30s.

Also in the Library Collection:
the earlier clubhouse on the site - c.1900  |
| 1925 exterior   | another 1925 exterior  |
| 1925 entrance detail  |
 | another 1930s view - "Abie's Irish Rose" | 


     USC Archives    

digitallibrary.usc.edu

A 1941 view looking north on Figueroa from the
USC Archives
. The main auditorium at the time was
called the Times Theatre.
The photo is from the
Automobile Club of
Southern California.    
full size view


A detail from the image above.


A view looking south in 1941 from the USC
 Archives. Note that the side of the building still
 has signage as "The Playhouse." 
full size view