Kurt Hebert, School Counselor    

    I started working in the educational community in 1990 as an Early Childhood Educator at the Breakwater School in Portland. In 1995 I took a position as the Lead Teacher at the Spring Point Children’s Center at Southern Maine Community College. Through my experience working with young children I discovered the therapeutic power of play. This discovery led me to enroll in the Graduate Program in School Counseling at the University of Southern Maine. I graduated with a Master of Science Degree in Counseling with a focus in Play Therapy. While in Graduate School I worked as a Family Support Specialist through Woodfords Family Services. I was responsible for providing therapeutic and educational support for individuals with special needs. Upon graduation in 2002, I was hired as the Elementary School Counselor for M.S.A.D. 56  (Searsport, ME). After three years, I took a position as the School Counselor at Dora L. Small Elementary School in South Portland in 2005.

Some of my certifications and qualifications include:

Certified Clinical Counseling Supervisor

Certified Maine Youth Suicide Prevention Trainer

Potential Registered Play Therapist

Maine Association for Play Therapy Board member

What does a School Counselor do?

- Helps students in the process of reaching their academic, social, and emotional potential.

- Works with students individually, in small groups, and in the classroom.

- Provides short-term play therapy for students individually and in small groups.

- Encourages better interpersonal relationships.

- Promotes positive attitudes.

- Helps identify the needs of students.

- Aid teachers and parents in helping students.

- Provides parenting and child development consultation.

- Assists people in making use of community resources.

- Coordinates efforts with other school agencies.

- Facilitates discussion groups.

- Assists with in-service programs for faculty and staff.

- Participates in curriculum development.

- Lends support to administrators, faculty, and parents.

- Provides support services during crisis intervention.

Who seeks help from a School Counselor?


- Teachers and Educational Technicians

- Administrators

- Parents and Caregivers

 How do you access school counseling services?

- Parents may request an appointment for themselves or request services for their child by calling or e-mailing the school counselor or through the classroom teacher.

- Students may self-refer for counseling by filling out a “Note for Kurt” located outside his office or by asking their teacher.

- Teachers and staff may refer students by speaking to Kurt or filling out a “Staff Guidance Referral”