2013, like most of our other years continues to be a challenge. We must speak up for animals who can't speak for themselves.
• WalMart gift cards - we purchase canned food at this store - we used Pedigree Chopped Beef.
• Purina Dog Chow. we also use specialty food for some of the dogs - salmon and sweet potato, etc.
• Tractor Supply. 4 Health lamb and rice, salmon and sweet potato.
• plain dog biscuits- any size
• toys - Nylabone Galileo Bone - Souper (the largest size). Rope toys. Our dogs are tough on toys - nylabones are very hard to chew up, but seem to be safe for teeth. Several of the dogs also like Kong toys - largest toughest size.
• Volunteers to help with walking dogs, kennel chores, and general handyman/woman tasks. We have resumed our regular Saturday workdays 9:00 - 4:00, and also have dog walking hours on Sunday mornings 10:00 - Noon.
Not currently needed:
• Kuranda dog beds (our dogs love these beds) Note: Last year (2012) we received a very generous donation of six kuranda beds, so right now we don't need these, but we do appreciate this helpful program for animal shelters, so we will leave the link.
Over the past year, we completed a number of upgrades to our "facility" in order to maintain the requirements for the status of a NC state licensed facility.
We installed a ceramic tile floor in the kennel kitchen, and
replaced all of the gates on the outdoor kennels. We replaced five dog
houses and added three large loads of gravel. We are currently
painting the interior of the kennel, and planing other improvements.
like to thank Duke Energy for providing two separate grants which we
used for three very nice metal "chew-proof" dog houses and for part of
the gravel. We would also like to thank the many volunteers who came on
two work days to help with our projects. We hope to do this again in the
We can assure you that we spend far more on the animals than we ever recover from adoption donations. Every resource goes to the animals (mostly for vet bills and dog food).