- Gear Ratio Video - This is a series of 4 videos explaining a 3:1 simple gear ratios, a 1:3 simple gear ratio, compound gear ratios, and how the principle of gear ratios can be extended to chain and sprocket systems. These videos may be reached by clicking <here>
- VEX Sprockets
- Normal sprocket set - consists of (2)10-tooth sprockets (. 526" diameter), (4)15-tooth sprockets (. 75" diameter), (4)24-tooth sprockets (1.18" diameter), (2)40-tooth sprockets (1.93" diameter), (2)48-tooth sprockets (2.3" diameter). (326)Chain Links = 48" (1,219mm) of chain.These are excellent for low torque applications and they allow for a drive transfer of any length between drive shafts. Inventor's guide page
- High strength sprocket set - consists OT (4) High Strength 6-tooth Sprocket (~0.97" OD), (2) High Strength 12-tooth Sprocket (~1.69" OD), (2) High Strength 18-tooth Sprocket (~2.43" OD), (2) High Strength 24-tooth Sprocket (~3.16" OD), (2) High Strength 30-tooth Sprocket (~3.90" OD),(140)High Strength Chain Links, (20) Chain Attachment Links,This kit provides larger size chain and sprockets designed for use with the VEX Robotics Design System. These reinforced sprockets and chain can be used just like the VEX Sprocket and Chain Kit but can withstand higher stresses and lift heavier loads. VEX High Strength Chain is the same pitch as VEX Tank Tread. The components of this kit are compatible with all VEX Tank tread components. Also use included "Attachment Links" to attach structural components to your chain. Use this kit for any application where regular chain just won't cut it! They allow for a drive transfer of any length between drive shafts
- VEX Gears
- Gear kit - Consists of (4)12-tooth gears,(4)36-tooth gears, (4)60-tooth gears, (2)84-tooth gears. These are excellent for low torque applications. One drawback to gears is they require a set distance between drive shafts. Inventors guide
- High Strength Gear kit - these include (4) High Strength 12-tooth Gear (0.58 inch diameter),(4)High Strength 36-tooth Gear (1.58 inch diameter),(4)High Strength 60-tooth Gear (2.58 inch diameter),(16)High Strength Square Gear Insert,(16)Free Spinning Gear Insert. This kit provides several new gears with features to handle higher loads. Each of these gears has a wider face width; this means each tooth is wider so applied loads will be spread over a larger area. The 12-tooth High Strength Gear is molded out of powdered metal. The 36-tooth and 60-tooth Gears have powdered metal inserts. These metallic components will protect the gear from high loads applied by a VEX axle. Inventors guide
- High Strength Lock bars - one bar with a 1/4" square reamed out can be used to save the high strength gears from breaking when used with the high strength gears.
- Gearboxes, tips & tricks
- Always support drive shafts at two points.
- Keep gears as close to their supporters point as possible, drive shaft flex will allow the gears to separate and skip teeth
- Whenever possible connect the gear directly to the structure, it is turning
- Keep gear boxes as low as possible so as not to raise the robot's center of gravity.
- CMU gear ratios and speed
- CMU gear ratios and torque
- CMU Gear ratio curriculum