See Acronyms page for all abbreviations.
Significant Project Experience and Reports
- 2012-2016, NASA ROSES/ACCESS projects - Project Lead for Univ of Texas at Austin team
- Bridging the Digital Divide between Discrete and Continuous Space-Time Array Data to Enhance the Accessibility to and Usability of NASA Earth Sciences Data for the Hydrological Community (2012-2015)
- Enhancement of mutual discovery, search, and access of data for users of NASA and GEOSS-cataloged data systems (2014-2016)
- 2015-2017, EarthCube Integrative Activity: Advancing netCDF-CF for the Geoscience Community - Co-PI
- 2015-2016, EarthCube Leadership Council, Technology and Architecture Committee, Standards Working Group, Liaison Team, and co-author of:
- 2014-2016, EarthCube Research Coordination Network: Internet of Samples (iSamples) - Co-chair of working group on identifiers and metadata
- 2013-2015, EarthCube Building Block: Integrating Discrete and Continuous Data (DisConBB) - Senior personnel, helped organize Fall 2014 Workshop and Spring 2015 Workshop
- 2013-2014, EarthCube End-user Workshop: Increasing the Access to and the Relevance of Marine Seismic Data - steering committee member, and co-author of Workshop Final Report and Executive Summary
- 2015, GEOSS AIP-8: GEOSS Water Services: Publishing National and Global Streamflow and Flood Forecasts - Project Lead (work plan) (final slides)
- 2014, GEOSS AIP-7: GEOSS Water Services: Federating Water Resources Data Globally - Project Lead (work plan) (final slides)
GEOSS AIP-6: GEOSS Water Services for Data and Maps - Project Lead (final report pdf) (final slides)
- 2012, GEOSS AIP-5: Water Scenario - Project Lead (final report) (final slides) (final video)
- 2012, EarthCube Cross-Domain Interoperability Test Bed Concept Group participant, and
co-author of EarthCube Cross-Domain Interoperability Roadmap, August 2012, 113
- 2011-2012, EarthCube Governance Community Group participant, and co-author of two reports:
- (1) EarthCube Governance Roadmap, version 2, August 2012, 238 pages
(2) EarthCube Governance Framework: A Proposal to the Community, September
2012, 200 pages
Journal and Magazine Articles
- Gonzalo E. Espinoza-Dávalos, David K. Arctur, William Teng, David R. Maidment, Irene García-Martí, Georges Comair, 2015. Studying Soil Moisture at a National Level through Statistical Analysis of NASA NLDAS Data. Journal of Hydroinformatics. DOI: 10.2166/hydro.2015.231 (full pdf)
- A. Krishna
Sinha, David Arctur, Ian Jackson, Linda Gundersen, Ed’s. Societal Challenges and
Geoinformatics, Geological Society of America, 2011,
191 pages, ISBN 9780813724829. (See GSA Bookstore listing)
- Luis Bermudez and David Arctur, 2011, Open Geospatial Consortium Engineering Report: Water Information Services Concept Development Study, OGC Document 11-013r6.
- David Arctur, Evolution in Nautical Charting, Hydro International, 9 Aug 2011, Vol. 15:5. (view online)
- KM Stock, R Atkinson, C Higgins, M Small, A Woolf, K Millard, D Arctur, 2010. A semantic registry using a Feature Type Catalogue instead of ontologies to support spatial data infrastructures. International Journal of Geographical Information Science 24 (2), 231-252. (abstract) (full pdf)
- Rob Atkinson, Keiran Millard and David Arctur, Standards Based Approaches for Cross-Domain Data Integration, International Journal of Spatial Data Infrastructures Research, 2007, Vol.2, pp.74-89 (abstract) (full pdf)
- David Arctur and Michael Zeiler, Designing
Geodatabases: Case Studies in GIS Data Modeling, ESRI Press,
2004, 408 pages, ISBN 158948021X. Winner of the Benjamin Franklin Book Award, technical category, 2005. (see Amazon.com listing)
- David Arctur, Object-Orientation in GIS:
Conceptual Overview, EOM Magazine, March 1998, pp.21-22.
- David Arctur, David Hair, George Timson, E. Paul Martin and Robin Fegeas, Issues and Prospects for the Next Generation
of the Spatial Data Transfer Standard (SDTS), International Journal of Geographical
Information Science, Taylor &Francis Ltd, June 1998, vol 12:4, pp.403-425. (PDF available on request)
Shaw, Maria Cobb, Miyi Chung, and David Arctur, Managing the Navy's First OO Digital Mapping Project, IEEE Computer
Magazine, IEEE Computer Society Press,
September 1996, pp.69-74.
- David Arctur, Design of an Extensible, Object-Oriented
GIS Framework with Reactive Capability, Doctoral Thesis, University of
Florida, May 1996, 109 pgs, ISBN 0-591-09961-6. (View the abstract as PDF)
Papers and Workshops
- World Bank Conference on Land and Poverty, Washington DC, 2016
- RDA Plenary 7, Tokyo, 2016
- ESIP Summer Meeting, Asilomar CA, 2015
- 3rd & 4th GEOSS Science and Technology Stakeholder Workshops, Norfolk, 2015
- International Conference on Hydroinformatics, CUNY, 2014
- de Lathouwer, Bart; Cripe, Douglas; Arctur, David K.; and Maidment, David R., "GEOSS AIP And GEOSS Water Services" (2014). International Conference on Hydroinformatics. Paper 454.
- AGU San Francisco since 2008
- DK Arctur, P Taylor, D Lowe, J Tomkins, WL Teng, DP Ames, 2015. From WaterML to TimeseriesML: Evolution and implications for cross-domain data interoperability. AGU Fall Meeting Abstracts IN23D-1750. (poster pdf)
- DK Arctur, DR Maidment, EP Clark, DJ Gochis, MA Somos-Valenzuela, FR Salas, J Nelson, 2015. Advancing the cyberinfrastructure for sustaining high resolution, real-time streamflow and flood forecasts at a national scale. AGU Fall Meeting Abstracts IN31C-1770. (poster pdf)
- GE Espinoza, DK Arctur, DR Maidment, WL Teng, 2015. Modeling Probability Distributions of Hydrologic Variables from NLDAS to Identify Water Cycle Extremes. AGU Fall Meeting Abstracts H43E-1544. (poster pdf)
- Denise Hills, DK Arctur, Reyna Jenkyns, 2015. Discovering Physical Samples Through Identifiers, Metadata, and Brokering. AGU Fall Meeting Abstracts PA53A-2223. (poster pdf)
- WL Teng, DR Maidment, M Rodell, RF Strub, DK Arctur, DP Ames, B Vollmer, E Seiler, 2014. Enhancement of Mutual Discovery, Search, and Access of Data for Users of NASA and GEOSS-Cataloged Data Systems. AGU Fall Meeting Abstracts 1, 0569
- DK Arctur, DR Maidment, 2014. Federating Regional and National Water Data, Maps and Services through GEOSS. AGU Fall Meeting Abstracts 1, 0568
- LE Bermudez, DK Arctur, G Percivall, 2013. Open Standards Role in EarthCube. AGU Fall Meeting Abstracts 1, 02
- DK Arctur, DR Maidment, RG Lawford, 2013. GEOSS Water Services for Data and Maps. AGU Fall Meeting Abstracts 1, 04
- G Buehler, DK Arctur, LE Bermudez, 2012. OGC Collaborative Platform undercover. AGU Fall Meeting Abstracts 1, 08
- DL Blodgett, DK Arctur, J Hnilo, DM Danko, GK Rutledge, 2011. Coordinate Reference System Metadata in Interdisciplinary Environmental Modeling. AGU Fall Meeting Abstracts 1, 06.
- EGU Vienna since 2009
- K Lehnert, L Allison, D Arctur, J Klump, C Lenhardt, 2014. Geosamples.org: Shared Cyberinfrastructure for Geoscience Samples. EGU General Assembly Conference Abstracts 16, 11611
- D Arctur, D Maidment, 2013. World Water Online (WWO) Status and Prospects. EGU General Assembly Conference Abstracts 15, 13684.
- ML Allison, R Atkinson, DK Arctur, S Cox, I Jackson, S Nativi, LA Wyborn, 2012. International Convergence on Geoscience Cyberinfrastructure. EGU General Assembly Conference Abstracts 14, 13563
- DK Arctur, G Percivall, C Reed, 2012. The Role of Geospatial and Sensor Web Standards for Development of Tsunami Warning Systems. EGU General Assembly Conference Abstracts 14, 13634.
- Eye On
Earth Summit, Abu Dhabi, 2011, 2015
- WCRP Open Science Conference, Denver, 2011
CF Governance, Asheville NC, 2011
- GEOSS Workshop on Climate, Boulder CO 2011
- GEOSS Interoperability Workshop (web-based) 2011
for GIS and OGC Standards in Meteorology: Reading UK 2008, Toulouse FR 2009, Exeter UK 2010
Great Lakes Conference, Madison WI, 2010
- GEOSS Interoperability Workshop, Washington DC, 2009
- IOOS DMAC meeting, Washington DC,
- Web3D Conference, Monterey CA, 2009
- OneGeology GeoPortal Workshop, Copenhagen,
- Visualizing History Workshop (NEH), Richmond VA, 2009
- AAAS, Boston MA, 2008
- Workshop on e-Infrastructure for Civil Protections, Rome Italy, 2008
- WMO Commission for Hydrology meetings, Geneva, 2008
- OGC and EEA Partners meeting, Copenhagen, 2008
- GEOSS Workshop on Climate, Boulder CO 2007
Conference, San Diego CA, 2007
- AGILE Conference, Aalborg Denmark, 2007
- David Arctur & Doug Adams, Best Practices
for Developing Geographic Information Models, URISA Certified one-day
workshop offered at ESRI International User Conference 2005, URISA 2004, 2005,
2006, 2007, 2008 national conferences; GeoTec 2005, 2006; Geo-Alberta 2006; and
Government Technology Conference-Southwest 2006, 108 pgs. Published by Urban & Regional Information Systems Association,
Park Ridge, Illinois.
- David Arctur & Carl Reed, Introduction to
Object-Oriented Modeling for GIS, URISA Certified one-day workshop offered
at URISA 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003 national conferences, 120 pgs. Published by Urban & Regional Information Systems Association,
Park Ridge, Illinois.
- David Arctur, Introduction to Object-Oriented
GIS Technology, one-day workshop updated each year and presented at
industry conferences GIS/LIS’96, GIS/LIS'97, GIS/LIS'98, GITA'98, GITA'99,
URISA'97, URISA'98, and URISA'99, 100 pgs. Published by Urban & Regional Information Systems Association,
Park Ridge, Illinois.
Research Papers related to Object-Oriented GIS
Note: Some of the following are NRL-internal research reports.
Contact Kevin Shaw at Stennis
Space Center, Mississippi USA, for information on the OVPF Project, which was principally funded by the US National Geospatial Intelligence Agency
(NGA), formerly National Imagery and Mapping Agency (NIMA).
- David Arctur, Eman Anwar, Sharma Chakravarthy, Maria Cobb, Miyi Chung, Kevin Shaw,
and John Alexander, Implementation of a
Rule-Based Framework for Managing Updates in an Object-Oriented VPF Database,
Proceedings of GIS/LIS'95 Conference, Nashville, Tennessee, November 1995, pp.
1-10. (View PDF file)
Chung, Maria Cobb, Kevin Shaw, and David Arctur, An Object-Oriented Approach for Handling Spatial Topology in VPF
Products, Proceedings of GIS/LIS'95 Conference, Nashville, Tennessee,
November 1995, pp. 163-174. (View PDF file)
- Maria Cobb,
Miyi Chung, Kevin Shaw, and David Arctur, A
Self-Adjusting Indexing Structure for Spatial Data, Proceedings of
GIS/LIS'95 Conference, Nashville, Tennessee, November 1995, pp. 182-192. (View PDF file)
- David Arctur, Eman Anwar, John Alexander, Sharma Chakravarthy, Miyi Chung, Maria
Cobb, and Kevin Shaw, Comparison and
Benchmarks for Import of Vector Product Format (VPF) Geographic Data from
Object-Oriented and Relational Database Files, Proceedings of the Fourth
International Symposium on Advances in Spatial Databases, SSD'95, Portland,
Maine, August 1995, Springer-Verlag, pp.368-384. (View PDF file)
Chung, Maria Cobb, Kevin Shaw, David Arctur, "Exploitation of World-Wide
Web to Support Network Updating of VPF Mapping Database at a Feature
Level," Technical Report No. NRL/MR/7441--95-7713, Naval Research
Laboratory, May 1996.
Cobb, Miyi Chung, Kevin Shaw, and David Arctur, "Object-Oriented Database
Design and Implementation Issues for Object Vector Product Format (OVPF),"
Technical Report No. NRL/FR/7441--95-9641, Naval Research Laboratory, July
- David Arctur, John Alexander, Miyi Chung, Maria Cobb, Kevin Shaw, "Survey of Spatial
Topology: Issues and Approaches," Technical Report No.
NRL/MR/7441--96-7719, Naval Research Laboratory, September 1996.
Shaw, Miyi Chung, Maria Cobb, David Arctur, John Alexander, and Eman Anwar,
"Object-Oriented Database Exploitation Within the GGIS Data
Warehouse," Research Report to NRL and DMA, April 1995.
Shaw, John Alexander, David Arctur, and Robert E. Williams, "Development
of an Object-Oriented Digital MC&G Database System for Modeling and
Simulation Support," Research Report to NRL, DMA and DMSO, September 1994.
Note: These are the property of the respective companies
listed. In most cases the versions I helped write are no longer available.
Education Services (1991, 1992) Application Programming for the Momenta
Computer. Principal author of course materials published by Momenta Corp.,
Mountain View, CA.
Systems Education Services (1990, 1991) Introduction to Smalltalk Programming.
Coauthor of course materials published by ParcPlace Systems, Sunnyvale, CA.
Customer Training (1987, 1988) Advanced Informix 4GL Programming. Principal
author of course materials published by Informix Software, Inc., Menlo Park,
1988) Advanced SQL Programming. Coauthor of course materials published by
Informix Software, Inc., Menlo Park, CA.
|Selection||File type icon||File name||Description||Size||Revision||Time||User|