A personal web page on the Internet
Mobile: 216-369-7194 ~ Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
What I do
My day-to-day bread & butter comes from consulting. Click on the Linkedin button on this page for a complete profile including recommendations. I do project management work for firms in several industries.
Previously, I worked for 20 years in commercialization of energy and environmental technologies at the Idaho National Laboratory (INL). Also, I worked on project management for cleanup of nuclear waste.
See the Linkedin profile via the button above for details on this and other formal career engagements. I now live and work in the Cleveland, OH, metro area.
2014-Present: Senior Project Manager, Affinity Inc., As an employee of Affinity, Inc., I provide consulting project management services for their client Thermo Fisher Scientific and before that for Rockwell Automation. I specialize in project management for new product development for hardware and firmware used in factory automation equipment.
2012-2014 Senior Project Planner / Space Flight Systems / NASA Glenn, Vantage Partners LLC, Cleveland, OH -
- Deputy Lead, Project Planning & Controls, Advanced Stirling Radioisotope Program. This $50M/yr program produces nuclear-powered electrical systems (PU-238) for use in NASA deep space missions.
- Lead a cross-functional team to coordinate project plans for 22 cost accounts including schedules, work breakdown structures, budgets, information systems, configuration management, and risk management.
1999-2007: Member, Idaho Falls Planning Commission; and, Chairman 2005-2007.
- The commission's scope includes land use planning, subdivision review and approval, and recommendations to city council on annexation and zoning. As chairman, I led a 12 member body to review $50 million a year in land use decisions I dealt with the public, elected officials, the news media, and developers for a rapidly growing city of 55,000.
2002-2005: Consultant, Non-Profit Board Governance
- Pro-bono consultant for the Idaho Falls Symphony. Developed a strategy which restored the organization to fiscal health. The business plan included relationships with creditors, marketing, management, and audience development.
1994-1999: Member, Federal Advisory Committee for the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), Atlanta, GA.
- The committee provided advice on nuclear health effects studies conducted at Department of Energy facilities and national laboratories.
1977-1981 Member, Environmental Policy Commission, City of Alexandria, VA.
- Reviewed the environmental impact of proposed planning and zoning actions. Made recommendations to city council.
Invited panel member, OECD/NEA CNRA international workshop with stakeholders, "Sharing views on Nuclear Regulatory Organizations’ (NROs) Communication," Hosted by the US Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC), Rockville, MD, USA,1 April 2015 http://bit.ly/1LVO63X
2007-2012: Publisher, Idaho Samizdat, a blog about nuclear energy.
- I wrote, edited, and published the blog Idaho Samizdat on nuclear energy and nonproliferation issues. This blog was an independent voice on economic and political aspects of the global nuclear energy industry.
2007-2012: Reporter, Fuel Cycle Week -
- I wrote news articles in global nuclear energy markets including uranium mining and enrichment in the US, uranium mining in Canada, and new reactor business deals globally for Fuel Cycle Week, a trade newsletter published by International Nuclear Associates Inc., Washington, D.C.
2010-2012 Consultant, American Nuclear Society
- As a consultant, I provide content management services to ANS Nuclear Cafe, the official blog of the American Nuclear Society (ANS). Also, I supported social media initiatives at ANS. I was part of the team that launched the organization's official blog. During the Fukushima crisis in March 2011 blog traffic spiked at 56,000 page views/day.
- In June 2011 ANS recognized my work with a special citation for support of crisis communications work on the Fukushima nuclear reactor situation.
- From Jan 2010 to April 2012 I moderated an email discussion forum on the use of social media in the nuclear industry. It is a private forum hosted by ANS involving several hundred nuclear energy professionals.
2009 ~ As a consulting project manager, I guided the launch of the Facebook page of the Idaho National Laboratory which is used to recruit new nuclear engineers to work there.
- 2010-2014 Blog master for Cleveland Digital Publishing User Group. http://blog.cdpug.org
- 2004-2006: Edited and published the blog Opera in the News which covered the Opera web browser and related browser market and technology developments in the computer industry and Internet.
- 1989: Organized and chaired the Technical Committee on Expert Systems of the IEEE Computer Society. Members of the group developed a standards committee, annual conference, and a peer-reviewed journal. Received an award citation from IEEE in 1990 for this work.
- 1986-1989 Vice-president of the Capital PC User Group, Washington, DC. Organized the monthly meetings and supported the buying group.
- Assistant Editor, Practicing Planner Magazine, American Institute of Planners, Washington, DC 1975-76
- News Director, KFML Radio Denver, CO, (1971-72)
- Helped organize the first three Capitol Hill Peoples Fairs in Denver (71-73),
- Free lance journalist at Chinook, Straight Creek Journal (70-73)
& & &
Although I have lived many places, I have great memories of 20 years living in Idaho.