- The Household Response to Government Debt: Evidence from Life Insurance Holdings with Steve Craig and Edward Hoang, Journal of Money, Credit, and Banking, forthcoming.
- The Efficiency of Human Capital Allocations in Developing Countries, Journal of Development Economics, 2014, 108, pp. 106-118.
- How Big are the Gains from Financial Integration? with Indrit Hoxha and Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan, Journal of Development Economics, 2013, 103, pp. 90-98.
- School Funding and Inequality in the Rural United States, 1890, Explorations in Economic History, 2013, 50(2), pp. 267-284.
- Land Tenure, Population, and Long-run Growth, Journal of Population Economics, 2012, 25(3), pp. 833-852.
- The Agricultural Basis of Comparative Development, Journal of Economic Growth, 2011, 16(4), pp. 343-370
- The Dual Economy in Long-run Development, Journal of Economic Growth, 2009, 14(4), pp. 287-312.
- How Important are Dual Economy Effects for Aggregate Productivity?, Journal of Development Economics, 2009, 88, pp. 325-334.
- Inequality in Landownership, the Emergence of Human-Capital Promoting Institutions, and the Great Divergence, with Oded Galor and Omer Moav, Review of Economic Studies, 2009, 76, pp. 143-179 .
- Land Distribution and International Agricultural Productivity, American Journal of Agricultural Economics, 2007, 89(1), pp. 202-216.
UH Macro seminar information