29 Celebrities That Do Meditation
This was written January 4, 2012. I only included celebrities that I have heard of before. Also I checked the source of each since I do not like inaccurate information. Meditation is great for people that need more creativity like artists, writers and people with their own business.
First someone can be using the wordmeditation in a broad sense like sex is meditation for me. Also I keep checking to make sure that I have a reliable source. I am using quotes and 2 websites for people doingTranscendental Meditation® orTM®. One site is a professional site for teaching TM so if the information is false, then they can be sued and punished for fraud. The other is aWikipedia webpage with a list of TM practitioners that includes anyone that learned it.
Wikipedia says (under meditation):
I did not have the time to call all these celebrities today and ask them if they still practice meditation. Also if they said "yes", they could always stop doing it tomorrow. Here are some that I did not include in this list. Hillary Clinton did a guided image meditation led by someone else to contact a dead woman.Jessica Alba did a guided image meditation led by her husband while having a baby. Gwyneth Paltrowsaid in a 2010 resolution that she was going to learn meditation.
1. Jerry Seinfeld: He said “I’ve been practicing Transcendental Meditation most of my life. I think that does something to your nervous system. It has given me a calmness I don’t think I had at 19.”
2. Al Gore: Was Vice President of U.S. and won the Nobel Prize for Peace. He is a Christian and said "We both [he and his wife] believe in regular prayer, and we often pray together. But meditation--as distinguished from prayer--I highly recommend it."
3. Madonna: She learned TM.
4. Hugh Jackman: He does TM. Hugh said that meditation "changed his life."
5. Gisele Bundchen: She is a super model. She said "I kept myself in good shape, eating healthily,meditating and doing exercises such as kung fu and yoga."
6. Deepak Chopra M.D.: He learned TM under the guidance of its founder Maharishi Mahesh Yogi. I read a book about TM by Maharishi Mahesh Yogi.
7. Demi Moore: She regards Deepak Chopra as her personal guru.
8. Richard Gere: He starred inPretty Woman and An Officer and a Gentleman, He does Buddhist meditatiion and his teacher is the Dalai Lama. He said:
9. Mary Tyler Moore: She starred in the Dick Van Dyke show and the Mary Tyler Moore show . She learned Transcendental Meditation.
10. Will Smith: He said "I find that same voice “you can’t do this” when I’m doing yoga, or meditating, or in a sauna, or cycling up a long hill."
11. Tina Turner: She does Buddhist meditation.
12. Clint Eastwood: He says in the video below that he has been doing Transcendental Meditation for 40 years and "I am a great supporter of Transcendental Meditation."
13. Shania Twain: She does a meditation on inner light and inner music under the Indian religion Sant Mat which means the path of the saints. She is a very famous singer and is very attractive.
14. Howard Stern: He does TM and is a very famous radio celebrity. See him on the video below. He has been doing it since age 18. He has a great story of how he got into this. Stern said he quit smoking almost instantaneously after he began his Transcendental Meditation practice.
15. Jessica Simpson: She was doing a Thai Buddhist meditation under a monk on the video below. After 40 minutes of meditation, she felt bad that she laughed while doing it in front of the monk. Would she have felt bad if she cried? Both of these are normal during meditation since there is a purging going on during meditation.
Here is what happened to me during meditation. I shared a bedroom with my brother, Lonny Bluestein. The beds were at the sides of the room with an open space in between them. So I am sitting on the floor between the beds doing meditation. My brother gets home after being out drinking alcohol even though he was under 21. He lies down and about 10 minutes later he vomits aiming toward the floor space in between the beds, so the vomit lands right on top of me. So I went and took a shower.
16. Paul McCartney: He learned TM with the other Beatles under Maharishi Mahesh Yogi. They traded using drugs for doing meditation. See his video below about TM.
17. Ringo Starr: He learned TM with Paul McCartney. The Beatles; Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr performed in 2009 at Radio City Music Hall in New York to raise money to bring this stress-busting method to 1 million disadvantaged school children around the world.
18. Arnold Schwarzennegar: He was a bodybuilder, actor and governor of California. He learned TM.
19. Tiger Woods: His family does Buddhist meditation and he started doing it at a young age. Tiger has said that he'd gotten away from his meditation practice and we all know what happened there.
20. Steven Seagal: At age 17, he moved to Japan to study acupuncture, martial arts and zen meditation. He came back to America, became a bodyguard and then became an actor. He announced that he had been a Buddhist Lama in his past life. With a history of moving to Japan at age 17, how can you argue with that?
The Dalai Lama was chosen as a young child and tested by Buddhist monks. He had to distinguish the objects that he had owned in his past life with other items that he did not own without any mistakes.
21. Keanu Reeves: After playing a Buddha in the movie, Little Buddha, he started doing Buddhist meditation.
22. Halle Berry: She said "I meditate and pray all the time." When she was starring in the thriller movie Gothika, actress Halle Berry started practicing meditation to get rid of her nightmares.
23. John Denver: He learned TM and he sung songs with a unique sound to them. If you have not heard any of his songs, then you should listen to a couple of them.
24. Russel Brand: He promotes TM and he married Katy Perry.
25. Burt Reynolds: He learned TM.
26. Oprah Winfrey and Dr. Oz: He learned TM. Also he has his patients learn yoga. Martial arts, yoga and meditation are closely associated. Secretary of State, Hillary Clinton does do yoga. Oprah made Dr. Oz a celebrity. She apparently is actively doing it. Below is a video of her being interviewed by Dr. Oz and she tells about TM.
She talks about a town in the U.S. where a third of the people there do TM. Also she started doing TM and now her whole staff does it and they take a break twice a day in the studio to do it. If you want to watch it in full screen, click on the Youtube logo in the lower right hand corner.
27. W. Timothy Gallwey (Tim Gallwey): He was captain of the Harvard tennis team. He wrote some best selling books like The Inner Game of Tennis. Then he went on to help corporations. It was all based on learning to overcome your inner resistance and being in the now or present moment, decades before Eckhart Tolle.
He has been doing the meditation taught by Prem Rawat that is called Self-Knowledge or Knowledge for decades. This is the meditation that I also do. It teaches you to turn your 5 senses inward, that are usually going outward. For more information see Words of Peace Global.
28. Jet Li: He is a Buddhist. According to Men's Health magazine (September 2004), Jet Li is the only five-time national wushu (martial arts) champion of China. Because of this, China has declared him a national treasure. He meditates at least one hour a day and has meditated 14 hours in a day.
29. Stevie Wonder: He learned TM.
Professor Martin Seligman is not really a celebrity. I read a few of his books. In 1998, Seligman was elected President of the American Psychological Association by the widest margin in its history! He is now the director of the Positive Psychology Network that studies how people can be happier. In his bookAuthentic Happiness , he says "as someone who did TM religiously for twenty years, and became much slower and less anxious, I can recommend it as an effective mindfulness technique."
I have another article about the Many Benefits of Meditation. Here is the videowith Jessica Simpson doing meditation and laughing. Also due to comments below, here is another article on meditation or actually on finding happiness that has information from different sources like positive psychology and the flow experience. Here is Dr Oz telling how he has done TM for 3 years and is offering it to his employees.