A Brief History of Our District

 

Prior to 1964 Derby had 2 scouting Divisions, Derby North and Derby South.  With the growth in scout groups a decision was made to form 3 Districts and so Derby East District was formed from a total of 16 existing groups after 2 years of planning and an inaugural General meeting held on 7 April 1964.  

The 16 groups were:     
                               
27th Chaddesden (1912 - )
35th St Alkmund’s * (1914 - )
54th Victoria Street Congregational (1925 – 1974)
59th St Werburgh’s (1927 – 1965)
66th 1st Spondon (1927 - )
77th Derby Presbyterian (1929 – 1965)
86th 1st Little Eaton (1931 - )
87th St Marks (1931 – 1995)
92nd Greenhill Methodist (1932 – 1968)
105th Derby (1936 – 1970)
132nd 2nd Chaddesden (1951 - )
145th Hilltop (1958 – 2009)
147th 3rd Ockbrook & Borrowash (1959 - )
148th Ashgate School (1959 – 1970)
150th St Philip’s (1959 – 2002)
152nd St Alban’s (1959 – 1968)

Now, in 2014, only 6 of the original Groups in the District, (identified above in bold), are still running.  The current 7th Group, 175th, was opened in 2007 following an amalgamation of 158th Breadsall which was opened in 1965 and 171st Oakwood which was opened in 1992.

In 1964 the 35th met in a hut by the original St Alkmund’s Church that was later demolished to make way for the Derby inner ring road.  The Group amalgamated with the 105th/148th around 1970 and later the ‘new’ 35th moved to Watson Street and was renamed as 35th Markeaton.

The District badge was designed in 1970 and depicts the Star in the East, the River Derwent and deer in Locko Park.