A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P

Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z

Rocky Mountain News, Denver
November 12, 1911 Page 4


Andrew Sandberg Came To State 40 Years Ago; Was Prominent in Politics.

Andrew Sandberg, a resident of Colorado for the last forty years, one of the most prominent Swedish American citizens of the state and well known in political circles, died yesterday at his home, 1652 Filmore Street, from injuries he received in a fall from his bicycle two weeks ago.

Sandberg was born in Sweden and came to Colorado when 20 years old. He first settled in Idaho Springs, where he held the position of night watchman of the village for six years. In 1891 he moved to Clear Creek county. He was subsequently elected Sheriff of that county and held the office for seven years. He ran for State Auditor in 1906 on the Alva Adams ticket, but was defeated.

Sandberg came to Denver after giving up the Sheriff's office at Georgetown three years ago. Since his residence in this city he has been one of the City Park policemen. While riding his bicycle in the park two weeks ago he ran into a clump of bushes. He was thrown from the wheel and his left hip bone was fractured. Complications developed which caused his death.

Sandberg was first married in 1878 at Georgetown. His wife died in 1888 and just a few days over a year ago he was remarried. His present wife has eight children by a former marriage. Sandberg is survived by a widow, Mrs. Christina Sandberg; a son Arbin Sandberg, and three daughters, Mrs. Robert Anderson of Enterprise, Kan., Mrs. Charles Morrison of California and Miss Gussie Sandberg of Denver.

Funeral services will be held at the family residence this afternoon at 2 o'clock and interment will be at Riverside. Sandberg was a member of the Idaho Springs Elks Lodge No. 607, and funeral services will be under the auspices of Idaho Springs and Denver Elks.

Donated by: Rita Timm 1895 Denver

Rocky Mountain News, Denver, Colo., October 30, 1911 Page 4

Mrs. Christena M. Schneider Came To America From Sweden Thirty Years Ago.

Mrs. Christena M. Schneider, wife of John W. Schneider of Orin, Wyo., died in Denver last Thursday. Mrs. Schneider was 55 years old. She was born at Hult, Sweden, April 1, 1856, and came to America, thirty years ago, arriving at Princeton, Ill., in 1881. After spending a year there she lived for five years in Nebraska, two of which were spent at Omaha and three at Turlington, in that state.

Coming then to Denver, she was two years later, there married to John W. Schneider in 1889. Removing to Wyoming twenty-one years ago, in November, 1890, she settled with her husband on government land on the North Platte River near Orin, where they acquired a large ranch and where they reared a family of three boys and two girls. They are Fritz Schneider, 21, Jacob Schneider, 17, Clarence Schneider, 14, Esther Schneider, 12 and Lillian Schneider, 10.

Mrs. Schneider's funeral was held Sunday afternoon from the Whitehead and Meyers Undertaking Chapel, the Rev. Mr. Segerburg of the Swedish Church officiating.

(Contributed by: Rita Timm 1895 Denver)

Rocky Mountain News, Denver
July 16, 1904 Page 14


Mrs. Emma E. Skinner died yesterday afternoon at her home, 2525 Vine Street, this city. She was born in Somerset, Ohio, in 1836, and came to Colorado in 1879. She is mourned by hosts of friends and particularly by the members of Trinity Methodist Church, who had good reason to know her Christian character. One daughter, Mrs. George T. Woodside, and two brothers, John M. Berkey and Henry Berkey, survive her. The funeral will be held from the late residence this afternoon at 2 o'clock.

Contributed by: Rita Timm 1895 Denver

Rocky Mountain News, Denver, Colo.
October 5, 1911 Page 12


Dr. Calvin K. Smith, whose death from valvular heart disease occurred Sunday, had been government physician on the Shoeshone Indian reservation for twenty-five years. He was born in Mifflinburg, Pa., Sep 29, 1854, and was graduated from the West Medical College of Chicago in 1874. He was a Knight Templar and a life member of Spokane, Wash., lodge of Elks. Dr. Smith is survived by his widow, a brother, George Smith of Pinehurst, Idaho, and a nephew,Sidney Smith, 604 Exchange Building, Denver.

Contributed by: Rita Timm 1895 Denver

Rocky Mountain News, Denver, Colo.
October 6, 1911 Page 1


Lived in City 30 Years.

John J. Smith Was Member of the Board of Education for Several Terms.

John J. Smith, a resident of Denver thirty years and the first truant officer for the Denver public schools, died yesterday afternoon at St. Anthony's Hospital from paralysis. He suffered a stoke Tuesday afternoon and another Wednesday morning. He was taken to the hospital Wednesday afternoon. Smith had been ill since last November, but was able to perform his duties until the last few weeks.

Smith was a member of the school board for eight years, before the consolidation. He had been truant officer for the past ten years. Smith was probably the best known man to school children in Denver. He had lived in Denver for the past thirty years and had been connected with the Denver schools for most of that time.

He is survived by a widow and three children, two daughters and one son. Funeral arrangements will not be made until his son arrives in Denver.

Rocky Mountain News, Denver Colo.
October 7, 1911 Page 6

Tribute Paid to the Late Mr. Smith by Aaron Gove.

John J. Smith, who died yesterday, was one who, during a life of earnestness and integrity, contributed to the real intellectual and helpful growth of the city. He was an iron moulder from England. Never in perfect health, being a sufferer from asthma, he worked at his trade in Denver, a student and influential factor in the labor unions; his position with his assoicates was always of the commanding character.

While warmly espousing the intelligent promotion of the laboring man's interests and firmly founded in argument, the material for which was acquired by persistent and constant delvings in American and English authorities, his supreme integrity and conscientiousness healthily and intelligently withheld him from acquiescing with the extremists, whom he usually won to his own prudent and conservative position.

He was a leader among his associates. In 1883, at the school election, as frequently occurs, a well-intentioned but not well-informed faction, believing that wrong attached to our public school administration, and determined to right the wrong, created bitter and violent agitation, but were willing to consider J. J. Smith for a candidate on the board. In the light of history no better selection could have been made. Mr. Smith was elected, re-elected and again re-elected, serving altogether nine years, with no pay nor reward save that which comes to the man proud of duty well performed. Soon after his first election, his health, more particularly his vision, so necessary to his trade, began to fail and he was gradually forced from the shop. Then it was that most of his time was given to the promotion of school effectiveness, into which he entered with his heart and soul. If he found weaknesses he stregthened them. He had the respect and confidence of his fellow members, whose lives were in far different fields from his. His suggestions and recommendations did universally receive prompt acquiescence.

Soon after leaving the board as a member he assumed control of the truant department, with which work he was identified at his death.

Mr. Smith was a poor man and he had been a poor man all the days of his life—a life, the history of which placed before mankind an earnest of what the country can be when the list of such heroic names can be increased.

A beautiful family is left—educated boys and girls, or rather men and women—each ambitious to be classed with the patriots of our land to which their loved father belonged.

A widow was left, esteemed and lovely, to whom all the sympathy of friends is extended.
Denver, October 6, 1911.

Rocky Mountain News, October 7, 1911

Marriage, Births, Deaths and Funerals

—Oct 3, 1911, John J. Smith, late of 2333 South Emerson Street. Remains at Olinger's Mortuary, notice later.

Funeral Notices
—Funeral of John J. Smith will be held from Olinger's Mortuary, at 2 p. m., Monday, Oct. 9.

Contributed by: Rita Timm 1895 Denver

Rocky Mountain News, Denver, Colo., December 17, 1911
L. Pearl Kinkead Smith

Marriages, Births, Deaths and Funerals

In Memoriam

L. Pearl Kinkead Smith, daughter of Addie E. and the late Mills Hamilton Smith, died on Oct 22, 1911, at the home of her only sister, Mrs. Mather Smith (nee Grace A. M.), Highland Park, Ill.

Miss Smith was born in Denver, Colorado, on Sep 5, 1880, and was a graduate of the Gilpin Grammer School.

The news of her death will be a cause for much real sorrow to her friends there. Her rare qualities of mind and heart, gentleness of manner and unselfish devotion to those she loved, endeared her to all who knew her. Miss Smith rests beside her grandmother Kinkead in beautiful Oakwood Cemetery, Chicago. To the bereaved mother and only sister, Pearl Smith's many and devoted friends offer their heartfelt sympathy. Signed: L. D. F.

Contributed by: Rita Timm 1895 Denver

Rocky Mountain News, Denver, Colo., December 9, 1911 Page 7
Levi M. Smith

Former Banker Carries Bucket of Coal and the Exertion Proves Fatal.

Pioneer, Father of Eleven Children, Succumbs in Home of Third Wife After Reconciliation.

Levi M. Smith, 88 years olds and a pioneer of Colorado, died at his home, 2521 Clarkson Street, yesterday morning, ten minutes after he carried up a bucket of coal.

Smith had been hale and hearty in spite of his advanced age. He went into the yard shortly after 6 o'clock to get the fuel. When he returned he remarked to his daughter-in-law that he felt faint.

She gave him a glass of water and fanned him. He grew weaker and asked to be taken to his room so he could lie down. His daughter-in-law helped him to his room. He sat down on his bed and died.

Heart disease was given as the cause of his death.

Smith was married three times and is the father of eleven children. A few years after the death of his first wife, Smith married her sister. His second wife died about twenty years ago. On August 21, 1906, he married a sister-in-law of his two former wives. She was a widow with seven children. No children were born as the result of her marriage to Smith. She survives him.

A year ago Mrs. Luella Smith sued for separate maintenance, asking for $75,000 and the annulment of an agreement entered into by the couple the day before their marriage, by which she agreed for consideration of $100 a year and $500 upon Smith's death, to relinquish her legal rights to Smith's property, leaving him free to dispose of it according to his wishes.

The case settled by the payment to Mrs. Smith of $5,000 and the couple resumed their residence together at 2521 Clarkson Street. Smith blamed his wife's children for the trouble.


Smith came to Denver in 1873 from Pennsylvania. He was to engage in the banking business with the late D. H. Moffat, but the men quarreled over a safe and Smith went to Golden, where he opened a bank. He then went to Leadville and engaged in the same business.

After some years he returned to the East, but did not remain there long. Returning to Colorado he again opened a bank at Golden and also entered the real estate business. Several years ago he retired and made his home with his son, Howard Smith, at 2521 Clarkson Street.

He is survived by a widow, two daughters and four sons, two of whom are living in Denver. The funeral probably will be held in Denver on Tuesday. The arrangements have not been completed, because several children have not been heard from.

Contributed by: Rita Timm 1895 Denver

Rocky Mountain News, Denver, January 27, 1915 Page 8


Lewis R. Smith, 61, Denver attorney and patent promoter of Denver and Colorado Springs, died Monday night in his home, 847 East Colfax Avenue, of Hopkins' disease. That afflication is a rare one and as yet the medical science has found no remedy for it. Smith had been ill since early in November.

He is survived by a widow and six children, DorisHelen and Harry Smith, of Denver, Mrs. W. E. Gray of Chicago, Mrs. Sid Jay of Rice, Colo., andJesse Smith of Montana.

Contributed by: Rita Timm 1895 Denver

Rocky Mountain News, Denver
November 6, 1911 Page 3


Paralytic Stroke Fatal

Manager of Political Campaign for Governor Routt, Served in First Colorado Cavalry.

William A. Smith, manager of the political campaign for Governor Routt, member of the Sixteenth and Seventeenth general assemblies, soldier in the famous First Colorado Cavalry former warden of the penitentiary, former Chief of Police, and known locally as the man who never had a “grouch,” is dead.

Smith died Saturday morning from a paralytic stroke at his home, 1131 Seventeenth Avenue, and had he lived another day he would have been 71 years old.

The funeral will take place tomorrow afternoon at 2 o'clock from Martin's Undertaking Rooms. The pall bearers will be Henry Brady, Captain Jack HowlandH. Armstrong and M. H. Slater and two to be elected from the Odd Fellows, of which order Smith had been a member for many years. The services will be conducted by the Rev. Charles H. Marshall.

Smith was born in England and came to the United States with his parents when 7 years old, and came to Denver in 1860, called here by the gold excitement of that time.  He at once became active and was always prominent in politics.  He participated in practically every one of the Indian Wars around Denver and being a staunch Republican, became a leader in that party.

Smith was married in 1864 to Miss Katherine Kelly in St. Louis.  She died eight years ago.  He is survived by his two sons, William C. and Edward A., both of Denver.  There is a grandson named for him.

Contributed by: Rita Timm 1895 Denver

Rocky Mountain News, Denver, Colo., December 21, 1911 Page 8
Elizabeth Lloyd Allen Sopris

“Grand Old Lady” of Pioneer Societies Narrowly Missed 100-Year Mark.

Land Taken By Husband in Early Days Now Near Heart of City's Business Section.

Mrs. Elizabeth Lloyd Allen Sopris, widow of a former mayor and a pioneer of Denver, died Monday night at her home, 1337 Stout Street, which occupies a portion of the homestead taken up by her husband thirty-six years ago.

Mrs. Sopris was known as the “Grand Old Lady” of the Pioneer Ladies' Aid Society and of the Colorado Pioneers' Association, for she was 97 years old, and up to a few days before her death gave every indication of living to be 100, which was her desire. The cold weather brought on bronchitis which so undermined her health that she could not recover.

Of all the pioneer women of Denver, Mrs. Sopris was the best known. She was born in Trenton, N. J., February 15, 1815, and married the late Richard Sopris in that city June 5, 1836, and that same year they moved to Indiana, where their eight children were born.

Husband Kansas Legislator.

They moved to Kansas in the early days, where Richard Sopris became a member of the territorial legislature, and was in the first legislature to sit in the present state capitol in Topeka. In 1860 they came by ox team to Denver, and Sopris was a member of the Colorado Constitutional Convention, for two terms Sheriff of old Arapahoe County, Mayor of Denver and Park Commissioner for nine years.

They celebrated their golden wedding in Denver, in 1886, when 250 guest were present, and seven years later, Sopris died.

Mrs. Sopris was prominent in the Congregational Church, in all charitable work, and in the movements of the Pioneers.

Survived by Five Children.

She is survived by five children--George Sopris, a Denver attorney; S. T. Sopris, a Denver real estate man; Mrs. Samuel Cushman of Denver, E. B. Sopris, a real estate dealer in Trinidad, and L. S. Sopris of Paris, Texas. There are twelve grandchildren, eighteen great-grandchildren, the latter being the son and daughter of Mr. and Mrs. F. W. Hazard of Brooklyn, N. Y.

The funeral will take place from the house tomorrow at 2 o'clock.

Contributed by: Rita Timm 1895 Denver

Rocky Mountain News, Denver, Colo.
August 20, 1911 Page 7, Section I


Came Here Twenty Years Ago, And Became Head of Company Early This Year.

John L. Stearns, President of the German-American Life Insurance Company, and who was connected with the Mutual Life Insurance Company of New York during practically the entire period of his twenty years residence in Denver, died at midnight Friday after a few days illness of pneumonia. He was 58 years of age.

Stearns was born in Brooklyn, N. Y. and at the age of 18 years entered the employ of the Mutual Life Insurance Company. He came to Denver from New York twenty years ago and remained with the Mutual until the first of this year, when he assumed the presidency of the German-American Life Insurance Company.

He is survived by his wife, Mrs. Ella Stearns, and six children; John Stearns, a civil engineer, New York; Cuthbert Stearns, a lieutenant in the United States Army; stationed in Texas; Mrs. Dr. Goddard of Denver, and RobertMary and Rosalie Stearns of Denver. The family resides at the Kensington apartments Seventeenth Ave. and Logan Street.

Funeral Notice: STEARNS - The funeral services of John L.Stearns will be held at St. John's Chapter House, Tuesday, Aug. 22 at 2 p. m. Burial private.

Contributed by: Rita Timm 1895 Denver

Rocky Mountain News, Denver, Colo., November 17, 1911 Page 3


Gustave Stein, a former member of the faculty of the University of Michigan Law School, died in Denver Wednesday night as a result of overwork while a student in the school. His health broke down six years ago. He resided in the home of Mme. Agnes de Mare for three years. His brother, Joseph Stein, is in the insurance business here.

Rocky Mountain News, Denver, Colo., November 16, 1911
STEIN, GUSTAVE on Wednesday evening, Nov 15, at the residence of Mrs. De Mare, 2030 East Fourteenth Avenue. Interment Kansas City, Mo., Kansas City papers please copy.

Rocky Mountain News, November 17, 1911
Burial Permit:
STEIN, GUSTAVE age 30, 2930 East Fourteenth Avenue.

Contributed by: Rita Timm 1895 Denver

Rocky Mountain News, Denver, Colo., Date Page
(Photo ca. 1944)

FRED W. STEINKE, 80, of Wheat Ridge died Sept. 18 in his home. Services were Sept. 21 in Christ the King Chapel. The body was cremated with burial in Mount Olivet Cemetery. Mr. Steinke, a Denver native, was a manager at Miller grocery stores and a vault security guard at First National Bank of Denver. He served in the Army during World War II. Survivors include his [2nd] wife, Parmelie; and a stepdaughter, Germaine Peterson of Wheat Ridge. Contributions: Garden at St. Elizabeth.

Contributed by: Leona L. Gustafson 
Gustafson-Wichmann Ancestry

Rocky Mountain News, Denver, Colo.


Heart Attack Is Fatal to Officer of Denver Chapter of Group

Mrs. Mary E. Stevens, 58, of 3646 West Eighth avenue, died Thursday [May 4] in St. Luke's hospital, after having suffered a heart attack Wednesday in the office of the Mile High council of the Security Benefit association, of which she was a financier.

Mrs. Stevens, born in Champaign, Ill., came to Denver in 1909 with her husband, Edgar C. Stevens.  The family lived many years at 730 Lowell boulevard, but moved to the West Eighth avenue address a short time ago.

Surviving are her husband, two sons, Corp. Eugene Stevens, now in Italy and Corp. George E. Stevens, now in New Guinea; a daughter, Mrs. Emma May Wilson of Denver; two brothers, L. W. Jackson of Denver and George B. Jackson of Palo Alto, Calif.; a sister, Mrs. Addie V. Monroe of Los Angeles, Calif., and four grandchildren.

She was a member of Oriental chapter, Order of Eastern Star; Stewart V. F. W. post auxiliary; George Washington Women's Relief Corps and Grace Baptist church.

Funeral services will be held at 11:30 a. m. Monday in the Olinger mortuary, Sixteenth and Boulder streets.  Burial will be in Fairmount cemetery.

Contributed by Mary Miller, a granddaughter of Mrs. Stevens.

Rocky Mountain News, Denver, Colo.
October 23, 1918 Page 10


(Original includes photo)

Henry Stewart, 75 years old, a pioneer of Denver and prominently identified with the city's business life for more than forty years, died yesterday morning at his home, 216 Sherman Street, following an illness extending over two years.

Mr. Stewart came to Colorado in 1865, making the journey from Illinois in a "prairie schooner." For many years he was president and manager of the S. S. Machinery Company, and in later years, after he had sold the business, he continued his association with the concern as an employee. Previous to coming to Colorado Mr. Stewart served with distinction in the Civil War as a member of the 140th Illinois Infantry.

He was a member of Lincoln Post, G. A. R., of Denver.

Mr. Stewart is survived by his widow, two children, Edward Stewart, a master mechanic in the shipyards at Seattle, Wash., and Mrs. E. G. Bagley of Denver, and two stepchildren, Miss Anna L. Force, principal of the Lincoln School and Maj. James A. Force, in the School of Fire at Fort Sill, Okla.

Contributed by Rita Timm 1895 Denver

Rocky Mountain News, Denver, Colo.
October 8, 1911 Page 5, Section II

Pioneer Blacksmith, Who Came to State in Prairie Wagon, Dead.

Thomas T. Stokes Was A Resident of Colorado for More Than Fifty Years.

Thomas T. Stokes, a resident of Colorado for 50 years, one of the first settlers in Central City, and an old resident of Denver, is dead at the age of 87.

Stokes crossed the plains in 1861 in a prairie schooner, taking up the blacksmith trade, at which he worked until nine years ago, when his eyesight failed and he was forced to quit. He is survived by his wife, 76, and two granddaughters who have been living with their grandparents for some time.

Funeral services will be held at 2 o'clock today, from the Stokes residence, 1321 Thirteenth St. Interment will be in Fairmount.

Contributed by: Rita Timm 1895 Denver

Rocky Mountain News, Denver, Colo.
Aug 5, 1911 Page 12


General Agent of Burlington Was Formerly Denver Railroad Man.

George W. Vallery, President of the Colorado Midland Railroad yesterday received a telegram announcing the death in New York Thursday night of E. J. Swords, one of the pioneer railroad men of Denver, and at the time of his death general Eastern agent of the Burlington road.

Swords was known to practically every shipper in Denver when he left here several years ago. He was the first general agent of the Burlington in Denver, with George W. Vallery, now President of the Midland, as his chief clerk. Death resulted from appoplexy. He was about sixty years old.

Contributed by Rita Timm 1895 Denver