A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P

Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z

Rocky Mountain News, Denver, Colo.
August 30, 1911 Page 1


Contributor To The News

Pioneer, Famous as Builder and Organizer, Victim of Apoplexy; Stroke in Elevator.

(Original includes photo)

Ripe in years, years of work that had brought increasing honors, William E. Pabor, pioneer, editor, poet, fruit-raiser and founder of towns, who had escaped illness for twenty years, was stricken with apoplexy as he stepped from an elevator in the Majestic building yesterday afternoon, and died in the office of Dr. Hugh L. Taylor a short time later.

When death claimed Pabor, Colorado lost a man who had done much for the commonwealth. A builder and a doer of things, he left his imprint on the state in many ways and his friends are legion.


Twenty years ago the name of William E. Pabor was well known in Colorado. Slight sickness came and he moved to Florida. There, as in Colorado, he flourished and builded and was prosperous. But the call of the West and the state where he had worked and planned for many years was strong so he came to visit.

On July 7 Pabor came to the News office. He had been a reader of the Rocky Mountain News for years. In the early days he had written much for it, for besides being a fruit raiser, an organizer and a business man, Pabor had been an editor in his young days in the East and even in Colorado had left his mark on the early newspaper history of the state.


So when he came to Denver last month one of the first places he called was at The News office. He wanted to talk over old times with former Senator T. M. Patterson. On leaving, Pabor said that he wanted to see his old friends and associates and called attention to the fact that he was 77 years old.

The News, the next day published a portrait of Pabor and told of the things he had done for the state. It gave a review of his life.

Since that time the pioneer with many accomplishments had spent some days visiting with his son, Frank G. Pabor, connected with the Boulder Camera, and other days with his old friends in Denver. It was while hastening to greet Colonel D. C. Dodge of the Moffat road yesterday that the fatal stroke came.

In 1870 Pabor came to Colorado. He had been editor of the Harlem Times when 19 years of age.

He first was secretary of the Greeley colony, being the third to hold that place. Next he was secretary of the Colorado Springs Company. Later he occupied a similar position at Fort Collins.

In 1883 Pabor went to the Western slope while T. C. Henry was making his first experiments in irrigation there. He founded the town of Fruita. His various activities that reached out over the state were centered in that place, and he had much to do with its marvelous growth.


Pabor was the first secretary of the Colorado Editorial Association and had helped found the organization. He was afterward its president, and even after he left Colorado kept in touch with the work that it was doing. Pabor wrote many valuable articles for the Colorado Farmer.

When the final history of Colorado is written; when the world to come has delved further into the mystery of fruit raising and horticulture, the name of William E. Pabor will stand out as one of the founders of husbandry in Colorado. He will always be known as the man who brought the first carload of apple trees into the Grand Valley, and they are flourishing there today.

Twenty years ago the doctors told Pabor he must leave Colorado. The altitude was too high, they said. He went to Florida and as always, started another town. He built himself a place at what is called Avon Park.


He planted pineapples and they grew amazingly. He demonstrated the possibilities of the pineapple in the markets of the East. Then came the "Big Freeze" and almost ruin.

Again he started and was prosperous when he came for his last visit to the friends of other days out here in sight of the Rockies. The funeral arrangements are to be announced today.

Rocky Mountain News, Denver, Colo., August 30, 1911; Page 5

GREELEY, Colo., Aug 29.—W. E. Pabor, who died today in Denver, was well known in Greeley, having lived here for a number of years. News of his death cast a gloom over the pioneers, with whom he was a great favorite. A lifelong friend of his, John Leavy, is dying at the county hospital, having lapsed into a unconsciousness this morning after an illness of more than three weeks. His condition is critical and no hope is held out for his recovery. (See posted obit *Leavey, John.)

Contributed by: Rita Timm 1895 Denver

Rocky Mountain News, Denver, Colo.
August 20, 1911 Page 5, Section I

Young Singer Dead; Was Bass Soloist at Christian Church.

Robert Lee Pearson, Twenty Years Old, Had Been Ill for Several Months.

(Original includes photo)

Robert Lee Pearson, 20 years old, son of Mr. and Mrs. R. L. Pearson of 302 Bannock Street, died yesterday at the home of his parents. He had been ill for several months.

Young Pearson had many friends. He was the bass soloist at the Central Christian Church, a member of the Maister's male quartette, and had a most unusual voice. The funeral will be held from the home tomorrow afternoon at 2 o'clock.

Contributed by: Rita Timm 1895 Denver

Rocky Mountain News, Denver, Colo., December 25, 1911 Page 4

George Pell, Oyster Dealer, Dead Pioneer Known to All of Denver

Succumbs at St. Luke's Hospital Following Nervous Attack; Operated Stage Line in Early Colorado Days.

George W. Pell, pioneer oyster and fish merchant of Denver, died yesterday morning at St. Luke's Hospital, where he was taken a few days ago suffering with nervousness. Pell's condition had been considered serious ever since he was taken ill, but relatives and friends thought that he might pull through because of his wonderful amount of vitality.

Pell was born October 3, 1851. He first came to Denver in 1870, when he passed through the city with a circus in whose management he had a part. In 1879 he operated a stage line, a terminus of which was Denver, and two years later engaged in the business he conducted up to the time of his death.

Pell's reputation for excellence in the line of endeavor to which he had devoted the greatest part of his life was well earned. He was one of the best known business men in Denver and gained an excellent reputation among business men in Denver. Thousands of men and women who were not personally acquainted with Pell, knew him by sight.

Pell's oyster house is one of the most popular eating places in Denver and has the reputation of being one of the best seafood establishments in Denver.

Pell had not only built up a high business reputation, but has instilled his ideas and methods into the mind of is son, George W., Jr., who will conduct the business from now on.

While funeral arrangements have not been completed, the funeral probably will be held Thursday from the residence of the son, 2450 California Street

Contributed by: Rita Timm 1895 Denver

The Denver Post
April 9, 1971

Mrs. Naoma Plumb

Services for Mrs. Naoma Alfrey Plumb, 104, of 1300 Dexter St., founder of the Alfrey College of Expression and Dancing, will be at 11:30 a.m. Friday at Moore Mortuary, E. 17th Ave. and Clarkson St.

Mrs. Plumb, wife of Rocky Mountain News columnist Francis M. Plumb, died at her home.

Born at Pittsburgh, Pa., Aug. 22, 1966, she was educated at the University of Kansas where she was active in dancing and dramatics. She later spent four years at the Columbia College of Expression in Chicago, Ill., and subsequently served on the faculty there.

In 1908, she founded the Alfrey College of Expression and Dancing in Denver and also became the director of the department of expression and physical training at Colorado Woman's College, now Temple Buell College. She retired in 1935.

Over the years, Mrs. Plumb presented many charity performances for orphans, servicemen and homeless girls. Pupils enrolled in her school included crippled children.

Mrs. Plumb was a charter member of Pi Phi soroity.

Surviving is her husband.

Contributed by: Janice Buchanan (), 7 Nov 2001

The Daily News, Denver, Colo., January 8, 1904 Page 5

George S. Phelps


Death has claimed one of the most eminent lawyers and best known literary workers of the state. George S. Phelps of Leadville and Denver died at his home in this city, 246 South Sherman Avenue, about noon yesterday. Death was very sudden and was caused from pleuro-pneumonia. Mr. Phelps came down from Leadville four or five days ago. He was ill then, but his condition was not considered serious until midnight Wednesday night. Definite arrangements for the funeral have not yet been made, but it will probably take place tomorrow morning at 10 o'clock from the residence. Burial will be at Fairmount. Besides the widow, Mr. Phelps is survived by his daughter, the widow of Fred White, Jr., who died in Pueblo several months ago, a son Herbert, who is connected with the Sullivan Machinery Company, and five small children.

Mr. Phelps came to Colorado from his birthplace, Brown County, Illinois, and settled in Leadville in the early eighties. He practiced law for several years and was then elected county judge of Lake County. After his term expired he again resumed the practice of law, which he has continued ever since.

Contributed by: Rita Timm 1895 Denver

Rocky Mountain News, Denver, Colo., September 7, 1903 Page 2


Thomas G. Putnam, an old-time resident of Denver, died yesterday at 11:15 o'clock, at the family residence, 1725 Glenarm Street. Mr. Putnam had been ailing for about five years, and during the last year had been confined a large part of the time to his bed. The funeral will occur, Tuesday afternoon at 2 o'clock, and burial will be at Fairmount.

Mr. Putnam, up to the time of his illness, was prominently connected with the Denver bar. He came to this city in 1870, and associated himself with General Samuel G. Browne. He was highly respected among the legal fraternity in the city, as well as over the state. He leaves a wife, one sister and one brother.

Born in Fultonville, N. Y., January 24, 1840, Mr. Putnam was in the sixty-fourth year of his age. He received an academic education, and then studied law with George F. Comstock, in Syracuse, N. Y. In 1861 he was admitted to the bar, but in June, 1863, he entered the war as captain of the Fifteenth New York Cavalry. He served as aide to major General Sigel in the campaign in West Virginia and was in General Sheridan's command, under Custer, during the latter part of 1864 and the winter and spring of 1865. After the fall of Richmond he was appointed major of his regiment, but declined the honor as the war was nearly over, and was mustered out on July 4, 1865.

For the next two years Mr. Putnam practiced law in West Virginia, serving a part of the time as prosecuting attorney of his district. He was elected to the House of Delegates twice, and during his second term was candidate for speaker of the house. The Liberal Republicans and Democrats combined and effected his defeat by electing a liberal.

Contributed by: Rita Timm 1895 Denver