A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P

Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z

Rocky Mountain News, Denver, Colo.
July 24, 1911 Page 4


Mrs. Virginia M. Lacy Won Hearts of Men in Rough Mining Camp in Early Days.

Mrs. Virginia M. Lacy, who nursed many pioneer gold-seekers in Leadville through dangerous sickness, died yesterday at her hoome, 2213 Court Place, aged 73 years. Mrs. Lacy, with her husband, Samuel Lacy, went to Leadville in 1875 from Ohio. Lacy was one of the first grocers in the camp, and his wife gained the friendship of the entire community through her kindness in caring for men taken sick in the rough mining camp. The Lacy's also lived in Georgetown, and thirteen years ago moved to Denver. Mrs. Lacy had been ill for seven years. She is survived by three children, Mary T. and Harry L. Mc Millan, who live here now, and Lorenzo E. Mc Millan of Chicago. The funeral will be held at 2 o'clock this afternoon from the home.

Contributed by: Rita Timm Colorado Clues

Rocky Mountian News
September 15, 1911 Page 5

He Sold Liquor All His LIfe to Others; Never Drank Himself.
Jim Laughlin, Bartender at the Denver Athletic Club, Dies Suddenly at Home.

Jim Laughlin was a bartender from boyhood, but he never knew the taste of liquor, for "never a drop of any intoxicant ever passed his lips."

That remark was made many times yesterday when the news was circulated around town that James T. Laughlin had died Saturday night at his home, 1362 Glenarm Street.

The death of Laughlin was felt particularly at the Denver Athletic Club, where he was employed for years and where his abstemeous habits became a byword, as did his good nature and his apparently never ending supply of wholesome stories.

Laughlin was born in Albany, New York, fifty-six years ago. As a young man he was for years employed in the Delevan House, a hotel that was famous thirty-odd years ago in the New York capital as the home of nation-known men and the headquarters of all New York politicians. He came to Denver thirty-one years ago and he was well known down town and among all classes of people. On February 22 last he was operated upon for an intestinal trouble and later went to Portland, Oregon, believing that a brief change of climate would prove beneficial. Evidently he had entirely recovered and he returned to Denver, only to have a recurrence of his trouble which resulted in another operation and ultimately caused his death.

Laughlin is survived by his widow and three children, KatherineEugene and John Laughlin. The funeral will take place tomorrow moring at 9 o'clock at Logan Avenue Chapel and interment will be in Mount Olivet cemetery.

Contributed by: Rita Timm Colorado Clues

Rocky Mountain News
January 27, 1915 Page 8


A friend of the first John Jacob Astor, three-quarters of a century ago, Eugene K. LaValle, who would have been 98 Friday, died for over-exertion in St. Anthony's Hospital Sunday night. La Valle was also acquainted with Brigham Young, whom he met while prospecting in Utah fifty years ago.

La Valle was a familiar figure on the streets of Denver. He used to trudge the downtown streets with a gunny-sack on his back, full of purchases made in the department stores. He had been in St. Anthony's Hospital for years.

La Valle became blind from the glare of the plains while herding sheep. He was cured of blindness in St. Anthony's when he contracted smallpox. Contrary to all predictions he survived the disease, only to lose his hearing.

Contributed by: Rita Timm Colorado Clues

Rocky Mountain News, Denver, Colo., Mar. 16, 1911, Page 3

(Original includes photo)

Judge Lewis J. Laws, a Nestor of the Colorado Bar, passed away at his home, 1672 South Sherman Street, Tuesday after an illness that kept him to his bed for over a year. He was 68 years old.

The death of Judge Laws resulted from a stroke of paralysis. He is survived by his second wife and a young daughter, who live in Denver, and three children by a first wife, who reside in the East. Four brothers also survive. Two live in Colorado and two in California.

Judge Laws came to Colorado over forty years ago. He was born in Urbana, Champaign County, Ill. He moved later to another part of the state, where he joined the Union Army in 1862, with which he served throughout the rebellion. Judge laws lived thirty years in Denver and previous to coming here practiced law in Colorado Springs and Leadville. The funeral will be held tomorrow at 2 p.m., and will be in charge of Denver Lodge, No.5, A. F. and A. M.

Rocky Mountain News, Mar. 16, 1911

Funeral Notice:
LAWS - Denver Lodge, No. 5, A.F. and A.M. will meet at Masonic Temple, Firday, 2 p.m., to confer Masonic burial upon our late brother, Lewis J. Laws. All Masons invited. Car direct to cemetery. JOSEPH A. HUNTINGTON, WM.M.J.C. Secretary

Contributed by: Rita Timm Colorado Clues


Rocky Mountain News, Denver
September 2, 1911 Page 3


John Leavy, Who Thought He'd Found Secret,
Sleeping Under Stars and Getting Back To Nature, Dies At Greeley

Special to The News.
GREELEY, COLO. Sept 1.--John Leavy, original union colonist, who declared last June that he had discovered the secret of longevity, and that he would live to be 100 years old, failed to realize his ambition. He died this morning in the county hospital here at the age of 80 after an illness of more than a month.

Leavy declared that by getting back to nature, reading good books and sleeping beneath the stars a long life was assured. "I feel sure," he said, "that I will live to be a hundred."

Leavy enjoyed for many years a wide reputation in this district, as a botanist and for his original researches in plant life. He was born in Dublin, Ireland, May 31, 1831. He was a graduate of several of the best schools and colleges of England and Dublin. He came to New York when a young man and was the first man to respond to Horace Greeley's appeal for men to enlist in founding a community which would be governed by the principles of prohibition.

He is survived by a widow and five children. The funeral services will be held Sunday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock at the Catholic Church.

Contributed by: Rita Timm Colorado Clues

Rocky Mountain News, Denver, Colo.
October 12, 1911 Page 5

Daniel Lee Is Dead; Old African American Chief Of City Hall Janitors.

Famed For Witty Sayings.

Secured Position Through Late W. S. Cheesman, For Whom He had Worked As A Coachman.

Daniel Lee is dead.

That may not signify much to the average reader, but Daniel Lee was a unique character, a celebrity, a creator of quaint remarks and one of the most widely known African Americans in the city of Denver. For 10 years Daniel Lee was head janitor of the City Hall, having been secured that position by the late Walter S. Cheesman, for whom he acted as coachman some 20 years.

When automobiles came into use, Daniel found that he was of a passing generation. It was then that he decided to enter politics, and through Cheesman's efforts Daniel became head janitor at the City Hall under former Mayor Robert R. Wright. He held the position seven years under Mayor Robert W. Speer.

Became Too Ill To Work.

Two or three months ago Daniel became to ill to boss the other janitors at the City Hall. He had to remain at home much of the time. Occasionally he would drop late the hall to offer sage advice upon the conduct of the administration or discuss reciprocity. It may be that Dan's advice was not followed, but it was always listened to with eagerness and expectation, for Dan did not make many speeches which would not wring a laugh from a misanthrope.

Now, Dan was probably about 60 years old when he died yesterday morning, at 10:30 o'clock. Bright's disease ended his life. His age was problematical because Dan did not know how old he was or when his birthday arrived. So any time you wanted to make Dan a birthday present it was all right with him. He played no favorites among the 365 days of the year. Any or all of them were birthdays to him.

Some of Dan's speeches are famous among politicians. One of his latest observations was delivered a few weeks ago, while Mayor Speer was in Europe.

Mayor's Office "Tainted".

During the executive's absence the mayor's rooms were retinted a beautiful red. Dan came down to the hall one day to see that the janitors were busy. He wandered into the mayor's office and said to Col. J. S. Irby: "Hello kunnel." "Hello Dan," replied Colonel Irby, with a soft Virginia drawl that was always mighty pleasing to Dan's ears.

"Wha's goin' on in mah absence, heah?" demanded Dan with a glance around. Colonel Irby explained that the walls were being tinted. Dan talked on general topics for a few minutes, and as he turned to go he said:

"Well, kunnel, dose wall suttinly looks mighty fine, sence they's been tainted."

Dan left a widow and two children at his home, 104 Josephine.

Contributed by: Rita Timm Colorado Clues

Rocky Mountain News, Denver, Colo.
October 9, 1911 Page 1

Col. Leonard Dead; Pioneer Denver Realty Man.

Wife Finds Him Ill In Bed

Civil War Veteran Succumbs to Heart Disease Shortly After Arrival of Physician.

Colonel James Leonard, pioneer real estate man, and one of the best-known residents of Denver, died suddenly at 8:30 o'clock last evening at his home, 1151 Monroe Street, of apoplexy. While Colonel Leonard has had valvular heart trouble for some time and his death was not unexpected, the suddenness of his demise was a great shock.

He was up yesterday apparently in his usual health. He retired early, however, and a short time later, when his wife entered his bedroom, she discovered him, breathing heavily. She summoned Dr. Martin, but he died shortly after the physician's arrival.

Born In Pennsylvania

Colonel Leonard was born in Beaver County, Pa. At the outbreak of the Civil War he enlisted in a Pennsylvania regiment and served with distinction throughout the struggle. He was captured by the Confederates and sent to Andersonville prison, and was one of the few men who ever escaped from that place. After indescribable suffering and privation he made his way back to the Union Army and rejoined his regiment.

He was made a Colonel for distinguished service immediately after he rejoined his regiment.

At the close of the war, he came to Denver, and engaged in the real estate business and from that time until the day of his death was identified with many interests for the upbuilding of the city. It is stated that during his life here he has handled a greater volume of business than any other real estate man in the state. In one single year his real estate transactions totaled $5,000,000.

Worked for Denver

Colonel Leonard was largely instrumental in inducing the Equitable Life Insurance Company to erect its magnificent building here. He worked indefatigably on this project, contributing liberally of both his time and his money. The location of this building seemed to give renewed heart to the men who were fighting for a Greater Denver and from that day on there was never a doubt of the destiny of the city and the credit for successfully passing the crisis in this city has always been largely given to Colonel Leonard.

As President of the Chamber of Commerce he performed great service for the city, but whether in an official capacity as a member of the chamber or as a man to the ranks, he was always in the thickest of the fight.

While Colonel Leonard filled a place in the business life of the community that it will be difficult to fill, it is in the unknown places that he will be most greatly missed. Blunt and gruff, as is to be expected of a soldier and a fighting businessman, yet he possessed a kindly disposition and an open heart that endeared him to all.

He was never ostentatious about his charities but it was well known that there will be scores of families in the city that will miss his helping hand. He never refused any worthy charity. Rather he never refused aid--the word charity he did not like. He considered that whatever he gave was only a loan that would be repaid by the recipient in turn helping some other unfortunate.

In the history of Denver his name will be largely written for the constructive work he has done in building the city, but it is in the hearts of thousands of unfortunate he has helped along the way that his name will be most indelibly impressed.

Colonel Leonard is survived by his widow, Mrs. Elizabeth Leonard, and one daughter, Mrs. Margaret Ferguson.


Rocky Mountain News
Marriages, Births, Deaths and Funerals
October 11, 1911

Burial Permit- age 67, 1151 Monroe St.
Died - Leonard, James, aged 67 years, of apoplexy, Oct 8. Funeral services will be held at 2 o'clock today at the family residence, 1151 Monroe St.


Contributed by: Rita Timm Colorado Clues

Rocky Mountain News, Denver, Colo.
October 15, 1911 Page 2


Loss of Son Last December Began Decline of Prominent Denver Lawyer.

The sudden death of his son, Major Liddell, from pneumonia at Boise last December, is believed to have caused the demise of Judge Oliver Brown Liddell, 68 at his residence, 1549 Logan Street, yesterday morning. Judge Liddell aged ten years in the last twelve months through sorrow. Although his once handsome face was fading and his former fine form tottering, he was active in his practice of law until last Wednesday noon, when illness forced him to his home. He was in bed only a few hours before the end. Heart disease is given as the immediate cause of death.

Judge Liddell had been active in the practice of law in Denver for thirty years. He served a term on the district bench under appointment from Governor J. A. Cooper in 1890. His offices were in the Jacobson Building, Fifteenth and Arapahoe. He was attorney for the Industrial Building and Loan Association since its formation.

Judge Liddell was born in Dearborn County, Ind., November 30, 1843. He was graduated from Brookville College at the age of 17 and a year later enlisted in the Sixty-eighth Indiana for service in the Civil War. Shortly after enlistment he was commissioned, and at the close of three years service ranked a lieutenant. In 1866 he entered the regular army as a commissioned officer and was sent to Fort Morgan. A year later he resigned and returned to Indiana, where he opened a law office at Lawrenceburg.

Judge Liddell was twice married. His first wife was Josephine Major, whom he married at Lawrenceburg in 1887. She died in this city in 1903. In 1905 he married Mrs. Estella Lowthian, who survives him. Two children also survive--Miss Olivia Liddell, who lives at the family residence, and Donald M. Liddell, of New York, a member of the editorial staff of the Engineering and Mining Journal.

Judge Liddell moved to Denver in 1882, since which year he has been well known among local attorneys. He was a member of the Loyal Legion and of the G. A. R.

The remains will be returned to Lawrenceburg, Ind., for burial. Funeral services will be held at the residence at 10:30 Tuesday morning. Miss Liddell will accompany the remains East.

Contributed by: Rita Timm Colorado Clues

No newspaper title, No date noted.  Copy of funeral notices are in the possession of Ida F. Hall (received from Colorado Historical Society).


Lipkaman-John Lipkaman, [6 Jan 1903] at residence 2125 Deacatur St. Tuesday January 6, Member camp No. 13, W. of W. Perry, Pike County, Ill. papers please copy. Funeral notice later.

[8 Jan 1903] LIPKAMAN- Funeral of John Lipkaman will take place to-day at 2 p.m. from the late residence, 2125 Deacatur Street,friends and members camp No. 13 W.of W. invited.

Contributed by: Ida F. Hall ()

Rocky Mountain News, Denver, Colo., December 16, 1911 Page 8


After a lingering illness from a cancer, Mrs. Katheryn Norris Lower, a resident of Denver for the last forty years, died at the home of her father, John P. Lower, 271 South Grant Avenue, Thursday afternoon. Mrs. Lower was Treasurer of the Territorial Daughters of Colorado and a prominent worker in St. Peter's Episcopal Church. Her father and two brothers survive. The funeral will be held today from the Lower residence at 2 o'clock. Interment will take place at Riverside Cemetery.

Contributed by: Rita Timm Colorado Clues

Rocky Mountain News, Denver, Colo., December 19, 1911 Page 2

Mrs. C. A. Lyman Dead

Mrs. C. A. Lyman, mother of Mrs. George H. Harvey, of 2245 Grave Street, died Sunday last at Berkeley, California, aged 86 years. She was born in Massachusetts. After graduating from Mount Holyoke Seminary, she married and went to Iowa, making the last part of the journey in a prairie schooner. She made her home at Kellogg, where her nine children were born. After her husband's death, in 1902, she came to Denver.

Contributed by: Rita Timm Colorado Clues