A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P

Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z

Rocky Mountain News, Denver, Colo., March 3, 1911

Took First Engine Into Denver; Built First Waterworks

Frank H. Kaub, Resident Here Since 1870, Dies After Four Days' Illness.

Frank H. Kaub, 78 years old and a resident of Denver since 1870, died at his home, 2335 Stout Street, last night after an illness of four days, of complication of diseases.

Kaub was born in Germany in 1833. He was the first master mechanic for the Union Pacific Railroad, and brought the first engine into Denver. After he left the Union Pacific he went with the South Park railroad. He built the first waterworks in Denver, and was the first paid engineer on the Denver Fire Department. After he left the fire department he was elected one of Denver's first alderman.

He had invested heavily in real estate, and owned some of the best property downtown. He was also a stockholder in the German American Trust Company.

He is survived by three daughters, Mrs. A. J. CampionMrs. Fred Sigel, and Mrs. H. P. Nagle, all of Denver. Mrs. Nagle is on her way to Honolulu with her husband.

The funeral will be Saturday afternoon from the home. The remains will be cremated.


KAUB, FRANK H. - Funeral Notice - born Aug. 26, 1833, Godenstein, Germany, died Mar. 2, 1911, funeral from residence, interment private, kindly omit flowers. RMN 3/3/1911

Estate News Article - City News In Brief Section - probate news. Each of the three daughters, Mrs. Clara Nagel, Mrs. Anna Sigel and Mrs. Emillie Campion, will have to pay a tax of $438.86. Estate settled. RMN 09/03/1911 Page 5 Sect. I
Contributed by: Rita Timm http://coloradoclues

Rocky Mountain News, Denver
January 26, 1915 Page 5

Mrs. Martha Kelly Dies at Age of 85.
Had Been Resident of Denver for 37 Years and Former Janitress of Public Schools.

Mrs. Martha Kelly, resident of Denver for 35 years, died this morning at the home of her son, Edward Kelly, 1862 West Colfax Avenue. She was 85 years old.

Mrs. Kelly came here from Galveston, Texas after the flood in 1873. Her husband was killed in 1880 at the laying of the cornerstone of the Great Western Oil Company, when the stone fell upon him. Soon after her husband's death, Mrs. Kelly obtained a position as janitress in the Grant Avenue School. She was the only janitress in the city and held the position until1896, when she resigned at the age of 66. She has lived with her son since then.

Contributed by: Rita Timm http://coloradoclues

The Denver Post, Denver, Colo.
Feb. 17, 1961 Page 36

Mary Kelly

The Rosary for Mrs. Mrs. Mary A. Kelly, 82, formerly of 2846 Federal Blvd. who died Tuesday at Colorado General Hospital, will be receited at 8:30 p. m. Friday at Boulevard Mortuary, 3020 Federal Blvd.

Contributed by Leona (Wichmann) Gustafson

Rocky Mountain News, Denver, Colo., November 20, 1911

Famed as an Indian Fighter and Head of Militia During Strike in Cripple Creek District.

Death claimed Benjamin F. Klee, a Colorado pioneer, yesterday. He died in a hospital in Salt Lake City, from cancer of the stomach. General Klee went to Utah from Denver three years ago, making the headquarters of his Montana mining enterprises there.

General Klee was prominent in Colorado in military affairs, having been adjutant general of the state militia, and having taken a prominent part in the recent strike troubles at Cripple Creek and Victor. He was nearly 58 years of age.

Born in Andernoch, Germany, on Christmas day, 1853, Klee came to American when he was 15 years of age. He continued the education he had begun in the German public schools, in the United States, taking a course in the School of Design, Pittsburg, Pa.

Border warfare with the Indians on the Texas plains fired him, however, and he quit school again to take up the sabre and carbine for his new country. He enlisted with the Fourth United States Cavalry and saw considerable active service on the frontier. He received several wounds, and won an enviable record for fearlessness and courage.

In 1879 he came north to Colorado, settling in the San Juan country, where he was a pioneer. He engaged in mining which vocation he followed during the remainder of his life. The Indians in the San Juan district were troublesome during pioneer days and Klee organized and captained a company of rangers, who were active in curtailing the depredations of the Utes.

In 1887 Klee was elected colonel of the Second Regiment, C. N. C., with headquarters at Pueblo, where he was in the abstract business. He organized Elks Lodge No. 90 at Pueblo and was its first exalted ruler. Governor Cooper appointed him adjutant general of Colorado in 1889. During his term of office General Klee handled the labor situations which followed the strife between capital and unionism in the mining districts.

General Klee is probably best known for his part in the Cripple Creek labor troubles, however, having been recalled from retirement into active service in 1893, to cope with the tense situation which existed in the great gold camp.

Contributed by: Rita Timm http://coloradoclues

Rocky Mountain News, Denver, Colo.
August 3, 1911 Page 1


Became Ill In Restaurant

Ambulance Summoned but Dentist Was Unconscious Before He Reached Family.

(Original includes photo)
(Excerpt--not complete transcription)

Death came suddenly and unexpectedly yesterday afternoon to Dr. William Baxter Keyt, one of the oldest and best known dentists in Denver.

Dr. Keyt left his office, 425 Mack block, at 1 o'clock yesterday afternoon for lunch. He had scarcely entered the restaurant before he became sick and an ambulance was summoned. He was removed to his home, 1216 Clayton Street, but was unconscious when he reached there and died almost immediately after being carried home.

Dr. Keyt was born in Knightstown, Ohio, 50 years ago and came to Denver thirty years ago. He was married in Knightstown to a childhood friend twenty-five years ago.

He is survived by the widow, a son, William Baxter Keyt, Jr., who lives in San Francisco, and a son, Thomas, and a daughter Helen, who are at home. His sister is Mrs. Harry Compton of 231 West Fourth Avenue, with whom his mother lives. Bert Keyt, one of the drivers of the police ambulance is a brother. He was not on duty yesterday and therefore was not called upon to deliver his dying brother to the latter's home.

The funeral arrangement have not been made, but it will be the latter part of the week and the interment will be in Denver.

Rocky Mountain News, 8/6/1911
Funeral Notice:
KEYT--The funeral of Dr. William B. Keyt will be held from the family residence, 1216 Clayton Street, Monday, August 7, at 10 a. m. Friends invited. Interment at Fairmount.

Contributed by: Rita Timm http://coloradoclues

Rocky Mountain News, Denver, Colo.
July 13, 1911 Page 7


Former Denver Dry Goods Man Expires at Venice, Cal.

Word has been received from Venice, Cal., of the death in that city of David Kline, a well known pioneer of Colorado. Kline came to this state from Leavenworth, Kan., during the time of the mining excitement in Central City in 1860. Five years later he became a resident of Denver. He was proprietor of a dry goods store at Fifteenth and Larimer Streets and was former president of the Jewish Relief Society.

He retired from active business in 1893 and for the last five years lived in Los Angeles. He is survived by a wife and five children; Arthur I.Harry B. Kline and Mrs. Blanche Jackson of Denver; Joseph L. Kline of California, and Charles S. Kline of New York.

Donated by: Rita Timm http://coloradoclues

Rocky Mountain News, Denver, Colo., December 24, 1911 Page 7


Famous Tutor and Engineer Dies at Home in Cherrylin.

Thomas Henry Lander Knight, 87 years old, former professor of mathematics in the Royal Military Academy at Woolwich, England and civil engineer for many Western railroads, is dead at his home in Cherrelyn.

He came to the United States in 1870, and to Denver in 1889, in the engineering department of the Rio Grande. He is survived by his widow and four children, Thomas Knight of Kansas City, Henry Knight of Globe, Ariz., Mrs. James McFarlane of Hobart Town, Tasmania, Mrs. Robert French, Fargo, S. D. He was born in Dover, England.

Contributed by: Rita Timm http://coloradoclues

Rocky Mountain News, Denver, Colo., November 19, 1911 Page 3 Sect I


Father of Furniture Company President Came First To Denver in 1889.

Isaac Kohn, age 72 years, died at the home of his daughter, Mrs. H. J. Schwartz at 1270 Lafayette Street, at 5 o'clock yesterday from dropsy and had been confined four months. He first broke in health last April after returning from an extensive Eastern trip.

Kohn was the father of Samuel E. Kohn, 1255 Humboldt, who is president of the American Furniture Company. He leaves one daughter, Mrs. Schwartz, and a widow, whom he married in Chicago in 1868.

Kohn came to Denver in 1889, having retired from active business in Chicago the previous year. After his arrival in this city he engaged in business for only a few years. He was born in Budapest, April 19, 1839, and came to America at the age of 17.

Funeral services will be held at the Schwartz home at 2 o'clock Monday afternoon. Interment Fairmont.

Contributed by: Rita Timm http://coloradoclues

Rocky Mountain News, Denver, Colo., Tuesday 11 May 1926 Page 12 col 1
Funeral Notice

Koontz--the funeral of David A. Koontz late of 113-South Santa Fe., beloved husband of Minnie Koontz and brother of Mrs. Mattie Forbes, will be held from Hofmann's chapel Tuesday 2 p.m. interment Riverside

Contributed by: Harriet Irish

Rocky Mountain News, Denver, Colo., November 18, 1911 Page 1


Death Result of Pneumonia With Which He Was Stricken While Visiting in New York; Was Pioneer Banker of Denver, and One of the State's Wealthiest, and Most Public-Spirited Men.

Charles B. Kountze died this morning at 2:40 o'clock, at his home, corner of Sixteenth and Grant. There were no last words, no painful closing scenes. He lapsed into unconsciousness with a sigh, and only the cessation of his heart beats told the watchers of his death.

Yesterday morning there was hope. Since his recent return from New York, where pneumonia struck him down, and summoned his son by special train, the ailing banker has shown signs of improvement. As noon came, however, he grew worse, and by evening the end was only a question of hours.

There is scarcely reason for any extended biography of Charles B. Kountze. His career, in large part, is the history of Denver, the story of Colorado. He came to this city in 1864, a youth of 19, and joined his brother, Luther, who in 1862 had opened a bank in one corner of Walter S. Cheesman's drug store. In 1866 young Charles aided in organizing the Colorado National, and the Rocky Mountain National at Central City.

The four Kountze brothers-AugustusHermanLuther and Charles--at the very outset of their career--had determined that their business transactions should be conducted in the name of Kountze Brothers, and when all were permanently located, to share and share alike in the profits acquired.

Augustus and Herman went into the banking business in Omaha, and in 1868 Luther founded the great house of Kountze Brothers in Wall Street, leaving Charles in charge of the two Colorado banks.

Not until the dead man's will has been filed for probate will the full extent of his fortune be known. In public opinion he has long been rated the richest man in Colorado. In addition to the Colorado National holdings, his equal share in the First National Bank of Omaha, and in the New York firm of Kountze Brothers, he had large interest in the Denver Dry Goods company, and various other mercantile enterprises, together with huge mining properties and great tracts of land in almost every Western state and territory.

A strangely reticent, retiring man, he had never played a prominent personal part in the public affairs of the city or the state in which he had long been the controlling financial factor.

Contributed by: Rita Timm http://coloradoclues