Rocky Mountain News, Denver, Colo., September 3, 1911 Page 6, Section I

Came to Denver in 1871; Put Up Many Big Buildings in Early Days.
(Original includes photo)

David Cain, one of the early contractors in Denver, builder of the City Hall, for ten years owner of the cigar stand in City Hall, and known to all the old-time politicians, is dead.

Cain died at 9 o'clock Thursday morning, two hours after a stroke of paralysis, at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Elizabeth Richards, 1239 California Street. The funeral will take place this afternoon at 2 o'clock from Walley & Rollins' Undertaking Rooms, under the auspices of the G. A. R.

Cain came to Denver from Mitchell, Ind., in 1871, and engaged in contracting. Many of the early buildings of the city were erected by him. Among the best known buildings erected by him were the City Hall, the first part of the East Denver High School, the Colorado National Bank building, the McLain building and the old Times building on Lawrence Street. Denver has grown so rapidly in the last dozen years that a majority of the buildings erected by him have been torn down to make room for modern structures.


Cain was born in Pennsylvania, about fifty miles from Philadelphia, 83 years ago. He came west early in life and located at St. Louis, where he was living at the beginning of the Civil War. He went to the front first as a lieutenant in John C. Fremont's famous bodyguard, and later he left that body of soldiers to enlist as a lieutenant in the Twenty-sixth Missouri Cavalry. He soon was promoted to be captain, and left the army brevetted major.

At the conclusion of the war he removed to Indiana, where he had a contract for building bridges for the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad. In 1871 he removed to Denver, which was then beginning its growth. Cain at once plunged into building in Denver, and soon was known as the foremost builder in town. He amassed considerable money in the beginning, and he used to say that the only time he departed from his trade was in 1875, he got gold fever.


He started a mine in Boulder County, sunk a shaft 175 feet and ran a drift for 200 feet, and then took out a score of sacks of ore which he hauled to an assayer in Denver. The assayer was unable to find even a trace of gold in the "ore" and so Cain decided that he was a builder and not a miner.

Cain devoted himself exclusively to contracting and his profits he put into Denver real estate. At one time he was considered very wealthy, owning a great deal of real estate, but the panic of 1893 made him a bankrupt, as it did so many pioneers.

Caid did little contracting after the panic, and in the later '90s was given the right to open a cigar store in the lobby of City Hall. He continued this stand for ten years, retiring four years ago. He became known at the cigar stand to all the politicians of town and to thousand of citizens.

He never took any interest, however, in politics, and despite changes in administrations, he continued to hold the stand. Four years ago age prompted him to sell, and since that time he has lived with his daughter. His wife died ten years ago, and his only living children are Mrs. Richards and Mrs. Nellie Wade, Taylor Apartments, Fourth Avenue and Broadway.

Funeral Notice - 9/3/1911 CAIN - Funeral of the late David Cain will be held today at 2 p. m. from funeral chapel of Walley & Rollins under auspices of G. A. R. Memorial Association. Interment Riverside.  (Contributed by: Rita Timm 1895 Denver)

Rocky Mountain News, Denver, Colo., 10 March 1948 Page 37

Mrs. Mary Louise Carsten

Funeral services for Mrs. Mary Louise Carsten, 92-year-old early-day Denverite, will be held at 2 p. m. today in Emmaus Lutheran Church, W. 31st ave. and Irving st. Burial will be conducted by Hofmann Mortuary in Riverside.

Mrs. Carsten died Saturday in her home, 2801 Chase st., Edgewater. She was injured three weeks ago in a fall.

Mrs. Carsten was born in Germany March 18, 1856. She came to the United States with her parents in 1880 [should be 1890], and came to Denver in 1884 [should be 1894].

Surviving are four daughters, Mrs. Emma Gates of Edgewater, Mrs. Louise Dillon of Denver, Mrs. Alvina Butterbaugh and Mrs. May Elliott of Pasadena, Calif.; three sons, Henry Carsten of Edgewater, William Carsten of San Pedro, Calif., and Samuel Carsten of Los Angeles; 16 grandchildren and eight great-grandchildren.

Contributed by: Leona L. Gustafson

Gustafson-Wichmann Ancestry

Rocky Mountain News, Denver, Colo., November 22, 1911 Page 5

20 Years on Force, Sergeant M. Casey, Ex-Patrolman Dies.

Father of Mrs. Roady Kenehan Suddenly Succumbs to Heart Disease.

Martin Casey, for twenty years in the Denver Police service, died suddenly yesterday evening at his home at 554 Inca Street of heart disease. Casey, who was retired two years ago with the rank of Sergeant, had not been ill. He spent Monday about the City Hall visiting with old acquaintances.

Casey entered the Police Department in 1874. He acted as a patrolman and later as a sergeant until his retirement in 1909, when he was pensioned under the civil service.

He is survived by a widow, three daughters and four sons. Mrs. Roady Kenehan is the eldest daughter. Two daughters are in a convent in Arizona. The sons are NeilWilliamJohn and Thomas Casey, all of Denver.

Rocky Mountain News, Denver, Colo., 11/22/1911
Funeral Notices:
CASEY--The funeral of Martin J. Casey will take place Monday morning from his late residence, 558 Inca Street, at 8:30 o'clock, requiem high mass at St. Joseph's Church at 9 o'clock, to Mt. Olivet Cemetery by carriage.
Contributed by: Rita Timm 1895 Denver

The Denver Post, Denver, Colo., Thurs., Dec. 18, 1969 Page 90


Services were Thursday in Moore Mortuary for Mrs. Castetter, 83, of 7200 E. Harvard Ave. Burial was in Crown Hill.

Mrs. Castetter, a Denver resident for 80 years, died Monday after a lengthy illness.

She was born July 28, 1886, and came to Denver with her family 1889. She was married Jun 1, 1906, to Dave L. Castetter in Denver. He died in 1925.

She was a life member of North Presbyterian Church, and was a member of the Ladies Society of the Brotherhood of Locomotive Firemen and Enginemen and Electa Chapter No. 60 of Order of the Eastern Star.

Surviving are two sons, Luther M. Castetter, Denver, and Ronald A. Castetter, Laguna Hills, Calif; a daughter, Mrs. June C. Larsen, Denver; three sisters, Mrs. Williams Scheutte, Elizabeth, Colo., Mrs. Grover Posey, Estes Park, Colo., and Mrs. Edwin Friedholm, Denver, four grandchildren and four great-grandchildren.

Friends may make memorial contributions to the North Presbyterian Church Organ Fund or Eastern Star Home Memorial.  (Contributed by Leona L. Gustafson)

Rocky Mountain News, Denver, Colo., May 28, 1911 Page 1
William A. Cates Most Daring Plains Pony Carrier.

Known as Squarest Sport in Denver, Scorned a Crook.
(Includes photo)

William A. Cates, said to be the last surviving pony express rider, died yesterday afternoon at his home, 2018 California Street. He was 68 years old.

So far as known Cates had no relatives and it is said that he left a fortune of $50,000 to charity and to the Elks, of which he had been a member since 1885.

Cates, it is said, was one of the most daring of the pony express riders and that he took part in the record of seven days, seventeen hours and seventeen minutes from St. Joseph, Mo., to Sacramento, Cal., being one of the greatest runs by horse ever made.

In the pony express were eighty regular riders and Buffalo Bill was one of them.Cates participated in many exciting events of the early days in the West. When Denver began to become a city he forsook the pony express and settled here. For years he was one of the squarest and best known sporting men in town, and it is said by his friends that he would never associate with any man who was known to be crooked.

Cates had been ill several weeks, and his death was not unexpected. His attorney and personal friend was Carl H. Cochhrane, who is out of town, and it is probable his will will not be opened until the lawyer returns.

The Elks will probably have charge of the funeral.

(Contributed by: Rita Timm 1895 Denver)

Rocky Mountain News, Denver, Colo., January 12, 1914 Page
Mrs. Cheyney, 94, Dies While J[o]cking; To Be Buried Today
(Obituary & photo)
(Funeral Notice)

The funeral of Mrs. Mary A Cheyney, 94 years old, a resident of Colorado for the last 38 years, who died Saturday afternoon at the home of her daughter, Mrs. D.G. Dunsmore, 845 South Log Street, will be held at 10-o'clock this morning from Olinger's mortuary. Interment will be at Fairmount cemetery.

Mrs. Cheyney came to Colorado from Ohio in 1876, driving overland with an ox team. Soon after her arrival here she moved to Fort Lupton with her husband. They located on a farm and lived there until the time of the latters death in 1902.

She was married in Pennsylvania, her native state [actually married in Ohio], in 1840. Eight children, two of whom survive, were born. She is also survived by 17 grandchildren and 11 great grandchildren and one great great grandchild.

Up to the time of her death Mrs. Cheyney had been well and active. A few minutes before she died she had been talking and joking with a friend

(Contributed by: Brynda Dickson)

Rocky Mountain News, Denver, Colo., April 28, 1911 Page 7


Mrs. Eliza Christy Was Resident of Denver Since 1865

Mrs. Eliza Christy, 72, wife of Captain Charles Christy, a pioneer of Denver, died at her home 519½ Twenty-fourth St., yesterday morning of heart failure.

Mrs. Christy came to Colorado in 1865 with her husband. Since her residence here she has been an active and one of the oldest members of the Ladies' Aid Society of the Colorado Pioneers.

The funeral will be held at 2 o'clock Saturday afternoon from Walley and Rollin's Undertaking Rooms. Interment will be made in Riverside Cemetery.

Contributed by: Rita Timm 1895 Denver

Rocky Mountain News, Denver, Colo., October 30, 1911 Page 3
Mrs. James R. Cline Dies After Pneumonia Siege
Came to Colorado With Her Parents More Than Thirty Years Ago.

After an illness of less than two weeks, Mrs. Frankie Iola Cline, wife of James R. Cline, died at her home, 812 Twenty-fourth Street, Saturday afternoon. Death resulted from pneumonia.

Mrs. Cline was born in Joliet, Ill., in 1871. She came to Colorado with her parents and located in Idaho Springs more than thirty years ago. She attended the public schools there and finished her education in Denver. She came to Denver with her mother twenty years ago and has lived here since. Eleven years ago she married James R. Cline.

Mrs. Cline is survived by her mother, Mrs. Myria P. Mead, her sister, Allie B. Mead and her husband.

The funeral will be held from the family home, 812 Twenty-fourth Street, this morning at 10 o'clock. Interment will be made at Fairmount Cemetery. Friends are invited to the house, but the interment will be private.

(contributed by: Rita Timm 1895 Denver)

Rocky Mountain News, June 10, 1911 Page 2
Conant, Rufus P. Who Passed Through Denver in 1860, Buried at Yampa.

(Special to The News)

Yampa, Colo. June 9 - The remains of Rufus P. Conant, one of the first pioneers of Colorado, was buried here yesterday afternoon. He was 83 years old and came to Colorado in 1860.

Until a year ago, when Conant and his wife moved to Routt County, he had lived in Douglas County, in and near Castle Rock. In the early days he ranched and in later life conducted a livery barn and feed store in Castle Rock.

Conant passed through Denver on his way from Missouri to Central City and Black Hawk in May, 1860, when Denver comprised a few houses near the mouth of Cherry Creek. He was the original owner of the Broadway triangle in Denver where the pioneer monument is being erected, having taken up a government claim.

Conant is survived by a widow, three daughters and two sons. Two of the daughters, Mrs. Frank Scott and Mrs. R. C. Wood, live in Tampa, while the third, Mrs. Carlotta Van Eaton, resides in Olympia, Wash., where one of the sons, Thomas, also is. The other son, Harry, lives in Rifle.

(contributed by: Rita Timm 1895 Denver)

Rocky Mountain News, Denver, Colo., Aug. 5, 1911 Page 7

Asthma Claims Man Famous in Early Days of Colorado and Active Until Recent Years.

John C. Cornell, builder of several Colorado railroad lines, died of asthma Thursday night at his home, 2320 Glenarm Place. Cornell was afflicted with asthma for years and for the last few years suffered intensely. He is survived by a widow and one son, Harry. Funeral services will be held from Rogers' Undertaking chapel Monday afternoon, and interment will be in Fairmount Cemetery, beside the body of his adopted son, who died about 15 years ago.

Cornell left his home in Brooklyn, N. Y., at the close of the Civil War. He came to Colorado and engaged in railroad building, his first work in that line being the construction of a Colorado & Southern branch connecting Trinidad and Walsenburg. He built the Crystal River railroad to Redstone, Colo., and in 1900 built the Colorado and Wyoming railroad, connecting Trinidad and Tercia and belong to the Colorado Fuel and Iron Company. Until his health failed him about four years ago, he was superintendent of that road and a town on the lien is named Cornell in his honor.

(Contributed by: Rita Timm 1895 Denver)

The Daily News, Denver, Colo., January 8, 1904 Page 14

Mary F. Crary


News Received of the Death of Mrs. M. F. Crary, Formerly of Denver.

            A cablegram from Honolulu, to Mrs. A. W. Steele, announces the death of her mother, Mrs. Mary F. Crary, which occurred yesterday morning in that city. Only a brief notice of the death was conveyed in the telegram, so that no further particulars are known.

Mrs. Crary, accompanied by her daughter, Miss Catherine Crary, left Denver for Honolulu about the middle of November. She was suffering with cancer of the liver, and was so ill when she reached Honolulu that an operation was performed at once. Her death has been expected daily for some time. Mrs. Crary died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. P. L. Weaver, wife of Judge Weaver of the Hawaiian Land Court.

As the widow of the late Dr. B. F. Crary, who was one of the most eminent clergymen of Colorado, Mrs. Crary was well known in Denver. Dr. Crary was associated with former Governor John Evans in the founding of the University of Denver, and was one of the most prominent Methodist divines in the West. Dr. Crary is buried at San Francisco, and the body of Mrs. Crary will probably be interred there.

The deceased was the sister-in-law of Fred A. Meredith, at one time editor of The News, and an aunt of Ellis MeredithMrs. H. H. Winn, her daughter, is the curator of the School of Mines.

Contributed by: Rita Timm 1895 Denver

Rocky Mountain News, Denver, Colo., August 22, 1911 Page 7

Taken From Train Unconscious, S. G. Croix Succumbs At Denver Hospital.

Death interrupted the flight of S. G. Croix, 40 years old, who was on his way from Canon City to his old home in Newcastle, Pa. He arrived in Denver late last night but was so ill that it was necessary to take him off the train.

The police ambulance was called and Dr. Ackley, who was in charge, feared the patient would die before the county hospital could be reached. Croix died an hour later.

> Little is known of the man here. A card was found in his pocket which advised that any who might be interested that the Masonic Lodge at Newcastle be informed if anthing should happen to the bearer.

Croix was a victim of tuberculosis, and knowing that his days were numbered, decided to go back to Pennsylvania to die among his old friends. When he was taken off the train at Denver he was unconscious.

(Contributed by: Rita Timm 1895 Denver)

Daily News, Denver, Colo., July 5, 1902, page 12


John Curry succumbed to the ravages of miner's consumption at his late residence, 903 E. Fourteenth Avenue, shortly after midnight yesterday morning.

Mr. Curry was born in Camborne, England, in 1856, and came to this country, locating at Black Hawk, twenty-two years ago. He engaged in mining in Gilpin County, and for fifteen years was superintendent of mines for the Fisk Mining and Milling Company at Black Hawk. Two years ago he was compelled to give up his position on account of ill health and with his family removed to his late address in this city.

About two years before he left England, Mr. Curry married, and he is survived by his widow and five daughters, Mrs. Susie Rogers, wife of George Rogers of Black Hawk; Misses BessieMinnieMable and Bertha Curry.

The funeral services will be held at the family residence tomorrow afternoon, conducted by Rev. R. M. Barnes. Interment will be at Fairmount Cemetery

(Contributed by: Rita Timm 1895 Denver

Denver Post, Denver, Colo., January 13, 1915 Page 5

Patrick Curtin, age 48, a conductor on the Denver & Interurban line between this city and Boulder was found dead in his room at the Granite Hotel last night. He had lived in Denver for fifteen years, and had resided at the Granite for the last eleven.

Apoplexy was given as the cause of his death. He was said to have been worth a considerable amount of money from incomes received from lands in Nebraska. He gave large sums to charities and gave Christmas and Thanksgiving dinner to many poor persons of Denver.

He is survived by a cousin, J. B. Curtin, who also lives at the Granite Hotel, and three brothers in Kansas City. The brothers will take the remains to Kansas City for burial.

Curtin started in railroad work in 1892 in Kansas City and was never married. He had been with the interurban company ever since the line was installed.

(Contributed by: Rita Timm 1895 Denver