A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P

Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z

BAKER, George Franklin 

(See article under: Bitzer,Conrad B.)


Rocky Mountain News, Denver, Colo., October 4, 1911 Page 8

Was Coiner In Denver and Had Been in Government Service For Many Years.

J. B. Baldwin, for the last six years one of the officials of the United States Mint here, died suddenly Monday night at his old home in Williamsport, Pa. Heart disease was the cause of death.

Baldwin and his wife left for the East six weeks ago, intending to spend the greater part of their vacation at their childhood home. They were expected to return to Denver in a few weeks. Two weeks ago Baldwin suffered several acute attacks of heart trouble.

In 1905 Baldwin came to Denver from the United States Assay office in New York. He filled the position of assistant coiner until March 1, 1910, when he was appointed coiner to succeed Harry Tarbell. Baldwin was previously employed in the mints at Philadelphia and New Orleans and was everywhere regarded as an able official. During the Spanish-American War he was a member of Company D, Twelfth Pennsylvania volunteers.

On Sunday, July 9, 1911, Baldwin and his wife were the principals in an automobile accident on the high line road to Grags' resort above Eldorado Springs. Baldwin's machine veered off the edge of a precipice and fell 450 feet to the bottom of the canyon below. Baldwin was thrown out of the automobile before it left the road, but Mrs. Baldwin fell with it, the machine dropping a sheer 100 feet and turning over three times before Mrs. Baldwin was thrown out. She was seriously injured, but recovered in a short time.

Friends believe that Baldwin never recovered from the shock of seeing his wife fall over the edge of the precipice, and they believe the accident induced heart trouble. Baldwin was about 50 years old. He is survived by his wife. Funeral services and interment will be held in Williamsport, Thursday, afternoon. 

(Contributed by: Rita Timm, Colorado Clues.)

BALDWIN, Mary A., (Mrs.)


Death of a Pioneer Woman of Kansas in Berkeley.

Rocky Mountain News, 9/30/1895

     Yesterday morning at the residence of George Robinson, Sixteenth and Fay Streets, Berkeley, occurred the death of Mrs. Mary A. Baldwin in her 76th year.  Mrs. Baldwin with her husband settled in Illinois in 1832 when that country was part of the wild West, moving in 1853 to Missouri, and two years later to Kansas.  She participated in the first battle between the whites in Kansas, a distinction of which she was justly proud.  Ex-Governor Robinson, while attempting to remove Mrs. Baldwin's tent from a section of land where Lawrence now is received a slight injury at her hands.  During the late war she was taken prisoner by Quantrel's band a few miles from Lawrence, but was shortly after returned by a strong guard.  Mrs. Baldwin was the mother of ten children, all of whom are living and were present at her demise.  She also had three grandchildren and four great grandchildren.  The funeral will be held this afternoon at 2 o'clock. Interment at Riverside.  Friends and members of the G. A. R. are invited. 

Contributed by Rita Timm, 1895 Denver

Rocky Mountain News, Denver, Colo., Tues., November 5, 1968
Frank Gilbert Ball

Funeral services for Frank Gilbert Ball, retired railroad clerk, will be at 10 a.m., Thursday in Olinger Mortuary, Boulder St. Burial will be in Ft. Logan National Cemetery. Ball who lived at 4964 Julian St., died Sunday in St. Joseph Hospital after a long illness. He was 72. Born Jan,15,1896, in Castle Rock, he attended schools there before joining the Army in World War 1. He married the former Winifred I. Brown in Golden on June 3, 1931. Ball was a clerk for the Rio Grande Railroad for 40 years, retiring in 1963. He also played violin and saxophone with dance bands around Denver for 30 years. Surviving, in addition to his widow, are two sisters, Mrs. Cornelia Lipps of Denver and Mrs. Ruth Schweiger of Castle Rock.  

Contributed by: Marie McClain.



L. M. Ball Hangs Himself in a Pueblo Jail

Denver Post, 1/13/1895

Pueblo, Colo., Jan.12, 1895--(Special)--L. M. Ball hanged himself in the county jail this morning with a dog chain.  He was accused of stealing from his employer N. Dunning.  He originally came from Wisconsin, and formerly lived at 1043 S. Lincoln Av., Denver.

Contributed by Rita Timm, 1895 Denver

Rocky Mountain News, Denver, Colo., October 6, 1911 Page 2

Watchmaker Worried Over Divorce Obtained by Wife Year Ago in Chicago.

William E. Banton Went East, Tried Business Ventures, Lost All and Then Returned to Denver.  (Abstract)

In his room at the Granite Hotel, 1228 Fifteenth Street, William E. Banton, a retired watchmaker of Bangor, Me, died of a self inflicted gunshot wound.

Benton years ago realized a fortune in the Cripple Creek mining district. He returned to his home in Bangor, Me. One year ago he returned to Denver, after he had lost his fortune in unsuccessful business ventures. He worked for several years as a watchmaker. He returned to Denver to join his brother,Joseph B. Banton, 1647 Pennsylvania, a member of the Colorado Farm and Livestock Company.

        Banton had not shown any signs of despondency during the last few days. The only theory concerning the reason for his act with the exception of his statements concerning his wife's divorce, was contained in a note left by him.

Transcriber note: The text of his short note is included in the article.  

(Contributed by: Rita Timm, Colorado Clues

Rocky Mountain News, Denver, Colo., December 16, 1911 Page 8
James H. Bardwell, Dead

James H. Bardwell, a well known Colorado lumberman, died Wednesday at Leadville of apoplexy. Bardwell came to Colorado thirty years ago and entered the employ of McPhee & McGinnity. For some time he was manager of the Chicago Lumber Company, and later the Pueblo branch of McPhee & McGinnity. He was recently engaged in the lumber business in Salt Lake City.

Rocky Mountain News, 12/14/1911
Died -- Bardwell, James H., at Leadville, interment at Denver, notice later.

Rocky Mountain News, 12/15/1911
Funeral Notice--Bardwell, James H., today at 3 p. m. from residence of C. E. Bullen, 315 Franklin Street, interment private. 

Contributed by: Rita Timm, Colorado Clues

Rocky Mountain News, Denver, Colo., November 18, 1909 Page 3


Derrick V. Barkalow, a pioneer business man of Denver, and senior member of the firm of Baraklow Bros., died Tuesday night after an illness of three days. Barkalow came to Denver in 1888, moving the headquarters of the firm of Barkalow Bros., which he had established in Omaha in 1861, to this city.

The year that Barkalow moved to Denver he married Miss Kate Whitehead, daughter of Judge Whitehead of Cheyenne, Wyo.

He is survived by his widow, one son, Robert V. Barkalow, and one daughter, Miss Jean Barkalow, all of Denver. His brother, S. D. Barkalow, manager of the Omaha house, arrived in Denver yesterday.

Contributed by: Rita Timm, Colorado Clues

Rocky Mountain News, Denver, Colo.
October 19, 1911 Page 5


One of Denver's Old Residents and Picturesque Figures, Whose 59 Years of Pain Did Not Mar His Benign Countenance.

Denver's patriarch of baseball, chess and whist, and of a horde of little folks whose affection for him was as simple as for St. Nick, is dead.

His office was not one of political preferment nor did he wield the might of patriarchs of old. His was a benign influence of the most kindly and gentle countenance, not marred a particle by the pain of 59 years, a magnet for all eyes as he passed up Colfax Avenue the last twenty-three years to his home with his sister, Mrs. Jane O. Cooper, widow of former Governor J. A. Cooper, at 1500 Grant. His face, as poetic in expression and closely resembling that of Henry V. Longfellow, was one of the most familiar in Denver.

This patriarch, Romulus E. Barnes, aged 79, died at 4:30 yesterday afternoon. His end was as peaceful as his life had been.

"I feel tired today," he remarked last Sunday when he returned home from his daily visit to the Chess, Checker and Whist Club, in the Masonic Temple. The "tired" feeling grew more pronounced, it encompassed his whole being until obsessed by it he sank into the last sleep.


Patriarch Barnes' face was never touched by razor after his twentieth year. He never married. Badly crippled and always in pain, he was prevented from nearly all vocations. His years were given to his nephews and nieces and hundreds of acquaintances; the baseball game, of which he was a great devotee; to the Chess, Checker and Whist Club, of which, he was a charter member and to the Orpheum, where he occupied the same seat every Thursday night of every week for years. He confessed to three lies in all his 79 years, but they were labeled white.

He was a patron of sports and amusements because in them he found his only surcease from pain. When his mind was not occupied bodily, pain returned. "Every minute of my life I have suffered," he once said, "and the Orpheum has short sketches and stunts, so I like it. I wouldn't give a cent for plays and grand opera. I like baseball because it is clean and skillful and honest."


Patriarch Barnes was born in Canton, Ill., March 4, 1832. When only 17 he heard the siren song of gold in California and joined the rush of '49. Three years later came the accident which made him a cripple for life. He was caught beneath a dislodged rock in the workings. The loss of the use of one leg and an injured spine resulted, forcing him to the use of a crutch under one arm and a cane in the other hand during his remaining years.

While in the gold workings in California, Patriarch Barnes assumed the ways of the West of those days, discarding razor and allowing his hair to drop to his shoulders.

While to adults he had the appearance of Longfellow, to the little folks this good gray man was Santa Claus. "Are you Saint Nick," he often was asked. And he smiled and to further questioning answered that their letters would be cared for alright.

A brother and a sister survive, S. D. Barnes, attorney, 501 Bank Building, and Mrs. Jane O. Cooper. Funeral services will be held at the Cooper home at 10:30 Friday morning, interment will be private.

Contributed by: Rita Timm, Colorado Clues

Rocky Mountain News, Denver, Colo., July 28, 1911 Page7


Went To Boulder From Ohio in 1879; Survived by Five Children.
(Original includes photo)

Special to The News.
LONGMONT [Boulder County], Colo., July 27.-- Mrs. Cynthia Marie Terry Barney died at the home of her son, W. H. Barney, here today, 84 years old.

Mrs. Barney was born in Ohio in 1827. She was married to John G. A. Barney and they continued to make their home in Ohio until 1879, when the family moved to Colorado, settling at Boulder. In 1882 her husband died from a fall from a building. Mrs. Barney lived at Boulder until four years ago, when she came to Longmont. She was active until a short time before her death.

She is survived by five children; Mrs. Clarence Savory of Boulder, Mrs. Evelyn Snell of Boulder, Harry Barney of North Yokohoma, Wash., Mrs. Effie Huber of Los Angeles, Cal., and W. H. Barney of Longmont.

The funeral will be held tomorrow and the remains taken to Boulder for burial.   

(Contributed by: Rita Timm, Colorado Clues

BARRIE, Charles

Town Talk

Denver Post, 1/12/1895

Mr. Charles Barrie, an old man of 74, last evening succumbed to an attack of apoplexy.  For twenty years Mr. Barrie was station agent for the Burlington at Princeton, IL. 

Contributed by Rita Timm, 1895 Denver

Rocky Mountain News, Denver, Colo., November 28, 1911 Page 4

Denver Man Was Author of Numerous Technical Books and Magazine Articles.

Foremost authority on the merchant marine and once United States Commissioner of Navigation, William Wallace Bates, President of the Shipping Society of America, died at the home of his daughter, Dr. Mary E. Bates, 38 West Second Avenue, on Sunday. Apoplexy claimed the mariner, who was in his eighty-fifth year.

He was the author of numerous books and magazine articles on marine questions and was regarded as an authority on such subjects. For years he had been a leader in the fight to encourage American shipping by preferential duties. Although practically unknown in this city, where he has resided for the last fourteen years, he had an international reputation among men interested in shipping interests.

A stroke of paralysis about eight years ago was the beginning of the end which came on Sunday. His health had been failing ever since, and he was confined to his bed much of the time.

W. W. Bates was the son of a Nova Scotia shipwright, and was educated in Calais, Me. He always considered himself a native of the United States. At the age of 18 he designed a vessel.

In 1851 he moved to Manitowoc, Wis., where he built the Challenge, the first clipper schooner to ply on the great lakes. He then built numerous vessels of this type, and on account of the products of his shipyard, Manitowoc became known as “The Clipper City.”

From 1854 to 1858 he was editor and half owner of the Nautical Magazine and Naval Journal, published in New York. It was while writing for this publication that he gained fame as an authority on the merchant marine. At the outbreak of the Civil War he joined the Union Army, but was forced to resign in 1862 owing to poor health.

He was in the shipbuilding and dry dock business in Chicago from 1866 to 1881, and then, at the request of the underwriters, prepared a book of rules for building lake vessels, which is still a standard work on the subject.

From 1881 to 1883 he was engaged in Portland, Ore., building a dry dock for the Northern Pacific railway, and was later manager of the Inland Lloyds at Buffalo, N. Y.

In 1889 he was appointed United States Commissioner of Navigation by President Harrison, and served until his failing health caused him to resign in 1892. His book “The American Marine” was published in that year and was followed a decade later by "American Navigation." In 1907 he organized the American Shipping Society and was president of the organization at the time of his death. 

Bates married Miss Marie Cole in Saratoga, N. Y., in 1851. She died in this city about ten years ago. He is survived by two children, Lindon Wallace Bates, one of the best known of modern engineers, whose headquarters are in London, and Dr. Mary E. Bates of this city.

Deceased was a Mason, an Odd Fellow and a member of the local post of the G. A. R. His funeral will be held on Wednesday at 1 p. m.

Lindon Wallace Bates built the new sea wall at Galveston, Texas, and also dredged the Volga River in Russia, two enormous undertakings.

Funeral Notice:   Rocky Mountain News, Denver, Colo., 11/30/1911
Funeral services by George Washington Post, G. A. R. yesterday, Nov 29, cremation. New York, Washington, D. C., Chicago and Los Angeles papers please copy.

Contributed by: Rita Timm, 
Colorado Clues

Rocky Mountain News, Denver, Colo., October 12, 1911 Page 1
Charles J. Barth

Native Son and One of the Wealthiest Residents of Denver.

While Charles J. Barth was reading a book in his home, 3301 Zuni Street; yesterday afternoon he was stricken by an attack of apoplexy and died before medical help could be summoned.

Barth was the son of William Barth, owner of the Equitable building. He was one of the wealthiest citizens of Denver, and was a native son.

Charles Barth was one of the best known men in Denver. He was born here on February 16, 1869. He attended the public schools and then went to the Orchard Lake Military Academy, Orchard Lake, Mich., for two years. He was graduated also from Andover College, Andover, Mass. After he had completed his education he returned to Denver and engaged in business with his father. He first took up the cattle business and later handled real estate. He was secretary and treasurer of the Equitable Realty Company at the time of his death.

Barth was a director in the Central National Bank and was interested individually and with his father, in many other enterprises in Denver and Colorado. He was 41 years old. The wealth of the Barth family runs far into the millions.

The deceased was an active member of the Denver Athletic Club and the Colorado Golf Club. He was also very active in Masonic circles and was a member of Lodge No. 5. He was treasurer of the financial committee of the Knights Templar, which will hold its conclave in Denver in 1913.

Barth was a member of the Riverside Hunting Club and was considered one of the best huntsmen in Denver. He was very fond of outdoor sports, especially of hunting and fishing. He was married in 1893 to Miss Clara Alvord. From this union was born, Charlotte, who is now 17 years old. Mrs. Barth died in 1897. In 1902 he married Miss Leonor Spencer, who with his daughter and his father, William Barth, are the only surviving relatives.

The funeral will be held from the family residence Saturday afternoon at 2 o'clock under the auspices of the Masons. Interment will be in Riverside Cemetery.

Rocky Mountain News, Denver, Colo., October 18, 1911 Page 5
Barth Estate Only $25,000

The supposed fortune of millions belonging to the late Charles J. Barth amounts to but $25,000, according to the statement contained in a petition filed in the county court yesterday by Mrs. Leona Spencer Barth, wherein she asks that letters of administration be issued to her.

The heirs named in the petition are the widow and Charlotte Alvord Barth, daughter by his first marriage.

Contributed by: Rita Timm, Colorado Clues

Daily News, Denver, Colo., February 19, 1908 Page 2


Elam C. Beach, a pioneer of Colorado, who died Sunday, was buried from his late home, 1455 Emerson Street, yesterday afternoon. Beach was born in Plymouth, Conn., December 12, 1826. In 1860 he moved to Gilpin County, Colo., and engaged in the mining business. He was appointed postmaster of Black Hawk by President Grant and was reappointed by Presidents Hayes and Garfield. He came to Denver in 1887 and engaged in the ore sampling business with his two sons under the firm name of Beach & Co. In 1853 he was married in South Bend, Ind., to Clara Griggs, who died only five years ago. Beach is survived by three children, Charles B.Lamont B., and Mrs. C. Valentine Kirby. Beach was in perfect health until January 28, when he suffered an attack of heart disease, from which he never recovered.

Contributed by: Rita Timm, 
Colorado Clues

BEDDOE, Albert


Rocky Mountain News, 1/5/1895

     Albert Beddoe died Friday evening at home on Lincoln Avenue.  He was for nine years in the advertising department of the Cincinnati Times-Star, but his health giving out was compelled to come to Colorado.  The change was too late and after about a year's residence he passed away.  For the past nine months he has been advertising agent for the Denver Times.  His early death--he was about 30--is a matter of grief to a large circle of friends.

Contributed by Rita Timm, 1895 Denver 

Rocky Mountain News, Denver, Colo., December 25, 1911 Page 2

Levi H. Bell Was Associated With Minneapolis Firm.

Levi H. Bell, 53, died of dropsy early yesterday morning in his apartments in the Brown Palace Hotel. His two daughters, Miss L. H. Bell and Mrs. A. B. Weiss, were with him at the end.

He had lived in Denver for seven months. He was associated with his brothers, Samuel J. Bell of Philadelphia and James S. Bell of Minneapolis, in the wholesale flour business.

The remains will be shipped to Philadelphia for interment. Arrangements for the services here have not been made.

Contributed by: Rita Timm, 
Colorado Clues

Rocky Mountain News, Denver, Colo., November 27 Page 5


Dr. D. C. Bice, a prominent physician who moved to Denver from Iowa twenty years ago, died Saturday at the family home, 1241 Steele Street. Intestinal trouble was the cause of death. An operation was performed at St. Luke's Hospital Thursday, but failed to relieve the condition. Dr. Bice was a deacon in Central Christian Church and a thirty-second degree Mason. Mrs. Bice and a daughter, Mrs. K. W. Hunt survive.


BICE--Nov 25, 1911, Dr. D. C. Bice, 1241 Steele Street, remains at Olinger's Mortuary. Funeral arrangements later.

RMN, 11/28/1911 Funeral Notice:
BICE-- Dr. David C. Bice, Nov 25, funeral services will be held from late residence, 1241 Steele, Wednesday at 2 p. m. Interment Crown Hill.

Contributed by: Rita Timm, 
Colorado Clues



John Grimes Fatally Wounds A Man At Bitter Creek

Special to The News

Rocky Mountain News, 8/22/1895

FRUITA, Colo., Aug. 21--Al Billings, who was in the employ of the James Rector cattle outfit on the Bitter Creek, in the edge of Utah, was shot by John Grimes some time yesterday.  Grimes fired four shots at Billings, only one taking effect, which will prove fatal.  The ball entered the lower part of the body, cutting through the bladder and passed entirely through the body.  Billings was unarmed and could not defend himself.  Oscar Turner, a boy 15 years of age, was at the scene and took Grimes by the arm and told him not to shoot anymore.  Grimes immediately saddled the best horse in camp and made his escape very easily.  It is not known yet whether or not the authorities are in pursuit of the murderer.  Mr. Billings was brought to this place today and is still alive at Dr. Beard's office.  Bitter Creek is about sixty miles north of this place in a very wild and secluded part of the Book Cliff mountains that form the northern boundary of the Grand River Valley. 

Contributed by Rita Timm, 1895 Denver

Rocky Mountain News, Denver, Colo., February 8, 1911 Page 2
Leader in Denver Society During Early Years

Wedded Three Times; Witnessed Many Battles in Rebellion.

Mrs. Sarah A. Bissell, widow of former Judge Amos Bissell, and a social leader during the early days of Denver, died Monday at Mount Airy Sanatorium, where she spent the last five years of her life. 

Mrs. Bissell came to Denver with her husband in 1867 from Philadelphia. The Bissell residence, at Thirty-sixth and Lafayette Streets, one of the handsomest in the city in early days, was the scene of brilliant social functions. After the death of her husband, on December 26, 1902, Mrs. Bissell suffered a mental decline, and in October, 1904 she was taken before the county court for an examination at the instance of her two children, Thomas Orton and Mrs. Minne Van Rennselaer, who declared that her mental capabilities were such as to render her unable to look after the property left by her husband, valued at $100,000.

She was declared sane, but a year later she was again taken before the county court, tried secretly and committed to the sanatorium. The insanity proceedings caused great interest at the time on account of the prominence of Mrs. Bissell and her family.

Mrs. Bissell was formerly Miss Sarah A. Penton, daughter of a wealthy Pennsylvania family, and was born in 1831. Before the Civil War she was a belle in New York, Washington, Philadelphia and Richmond, Va. She was first married in Washington to Captain Richard Orton of the British Navy. After his death she married William Sackett, brigadier general in the Civil War. She accompanied her husband on his campaigns and was present at the battles of Stafford Courthouse, Chancellorsville Yellow Tavern, Meadow Ridge Camps's Creek and Five Forks.

General Sackett lost his life in the battle of Trevillian Station. At the close of the war his widow became the wife of Amos Bissell. For many years Mrs. Bissell took an active interest in Democratic politics in Denver.

Contributed by: Rita Timm, Colorado Clues

BITZER, Conrad C.

WALROD, Frank C.

BAKER, George Franklin



Services Over the Remains Held Yesterday


Services Over the Body of Conrad C. Bitzer Conducted by Schiller Lodge of Masons—Frank Walrod Buried by Trinity Lodge, K. O. E. W.—Tribute by Parson Uzzell is the Memory of George F. Baker—Large Attendance of Friends at Each of the Funerals.

Rocky Mountain News, 2/4/1895

    The final act in the tragedy of last Wednesday night, when the boiler explosion at the West Denver power house of the Denver Tramway company sent three souls into eternity unwarned, was performed yesterday—what all that was mortal of the unfortunates was consigned to the grave.

     The funeral of Conrad C. Bitzer, the fireman who was killed instantly, and whose body was terribly mangled, was held at Miller’s undertaking establishment, 1714 Curtis street, and it was conducted by Schiller lodge of Masons No. 41, William Knight, pastor. The lodge assembled at Masonic temple at 1:30 and under escort of Oheen City division No. 5, uniformed rank K. of P, commanded by Captain Heinig, and division lodge No. 2, K. of P., of which Bitzer was a member, marched from the temple to where the body lay. Lohman’s band, playing a funeral dirge, headed the cortege.

     In a handsome casket, ornamented with Masonic emblems in silver, and almost buried in floral offerings, lay the body of the dead fireman. The floral pieces were exquisite in design and were the gifts of the lodges to which the dead man belonged and friends of the family. There were the square and compasses, in roses, smilax and evergreen, from the Masons; the emblem of the Knights of Piths; a beautiful floral pillow, with the legend, "Our Papa" worked in violets upon a ground of white flowers, a wreath from the Tramway Company, and another from Mr. and Mrs. F. Siege.

A short service was performed by Rev. H. S. Felix of the Lutheran Church. He spoke feelingly of the sudden taking of Bitzer and added words of comfort and hope to the bereaved family. The body was then conveyed to the hearse by the following pall-bearers from Schiller lodge:--F. F. Evermann, Chris Weismuller, Frank Kaizer, Peter Fredericks, Carl Bruehne and Chris Ruhmann. At the grave in Riverside Cemetery, the impressive funeral ritual of the Masonic fraternity was read and the body committed to the dust with all the Masonic Honors.


Funeral of Frank Walrod.


     Frank C. Walrod, who lost his life at the same time as Bitzer, was buried from Olivet Congregational Church, West Denver, at 1:30 o’clock in the afternoon. The funeral exercises were held under the auspices of Charity Lodge No. 23 A. O. U. W., and interment was held at Fairmount Cemetery.

The little church was filled with friends and sympathizers with the family when the body, which had been prepared for burial at I. N. Rogers’ undertaking parlor reached the church. The funeral service was performed by the Rev. Mr. Upton, after which the A. O. U. W. took charge of the remains and conducted final exercises at the grave. The pallbearers were: W. T. Crean, John S. Coeres, J. P. Etheridge, Wm. R. Gibson, G. J. Stirm and C. L. Smith. W. E. Devore, deputy grand master workman and Don A. Swett, master workman, conducted the ritualistic exercises. Among the floral offerings was a beautiful anchor and shield, the emblem of the A. O. U. W. 


Funeral of G. F. Baker


     The funeral of George Franklin Baker, the aged man who died from the shock of the boiler explosion on Thursday morning last, took place from I. N. Rogers’ undertaking rooms on Champa Street. It was a sorrowful little gathering that assembled to pay the last tribute of respect to the memory of a good man. His daughter and son, with whom he has made his home since his residence in Denver, were bowed down with uncontrollable grief, and as Rev. Thomas Uzzell spoke of the virtues of the deceased and comforted as best he could the sorrowing relatives, a deep solemnity pervaded the room. At the conclusion of the exercises, which were short and simple, the body was conveyed to Riverside Cemetery. Mr. Baker was born in Pompey, N. Y., November 17, 1822 and at the time of his death was in his 73rd year. He was a man of fine attainments and ever ready to lend his aid to any good work.

Contributed by Rita Timm, 1895 Denver



Rocky Mountain News, 4/23/1924 Page 14

Blonger Will be Buried at Fairmount Despite Request for Mount Olivet Grave.


Widow Is Left Entire Property in Will of Bunko Gang Leader Who Breathed Last in Prison.


     Despite the fact that Lou Blonger, convicted "king" of Denver's million dollar bunko ring, who died in the state penitentiary Sunday, expressed the wish in his will that he be buried in Mount Olivet cemetery, arrangements are practically completed for his interment at Fairmount Cemetery.

     Preparations for the funeral, to be held this morning are being made by officials of the W. P. Horan mortuary, 1527 Cleveland place, under orders of Mrs. Blonger.

     Mrs. Blonger was shown her husband's will, which was lodged in County court yesterday, but made no move to have the burial place changed.  At Fairmount cemetery it is planned to bury him in the Blonger family lot, where Sam Blonger, his brother and intimate associate for sixty years is buried.  The brother died ten years ago.

     Funeral services are to begin at the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception at 9 o'clock.  The pallbearers will be old friends of the deceased, including comrades of the civil war period.

     Yesterday afternoon the body lay in state in the Horan chapel.  Scores of old-time friends viewed the body during the afternoon and early evening.

    In his very brief will, which was drawn in the penitentiary by Attorney John J. Morrissey of Denver, March 24, Blonger instructed that all his property, both real and personal, should go to his widow, after all just debts had been paid.

     It provides that the widow be allowed to serve as executrix of the estate without giving bond.

     The estate consists of only a few scattered parcels, all of which are covered by state and federal government liens.  All the aged man's unencumbered property was deeded to his wife prior to his removal to the penitentiary. The remainder has been filed against for collection of federal taxes, costs of his prosecution in the state courts, and recently John S. Peck of Kentucky, one of the bunko victims, obtained a $17,000 judgment against Blonger.  A suit is now pending in Jefferson County to set aside the conveyance of his orchard, located near Golden, to Mrs. Blonger.  Just what the entire estate is valued at is not know, but will be announced at the time the will is present for probate.

     Plans to push Blonger's Supreme court appeal and carry on his fight for vindication, even after his death, are being made by his attorney, it was said.  If the appeal is carried on, it may enable fifteen others of the bunko ring to obtain the benefit of any decision that may be handed down in behalf of their former leader.

Contributed by Rita Timm, 1895 Denver



BOAL, George J.

Rocky Mountain News, 5/24/1895


The Widow Appointed Administrator with Bond of $100,000.

The will of George J. Boal, the deceased lawyer, was filed for probate in the county court yesterday and the hearing set for July 1, and an order to take the testimony of the witnesses to the instrument at Hastings, Neb, being entered. The widow, Mrs. M. A. B. Boal was appointed administrator to collect and her bond was fixed at $100,000. The will is dated July 4, 1887 and is witnessed by L. M. Selby and Louis H. Jackson. It bequeaths his entire estate to his wife and two sons, Theodore D. and Montgomery, share and share alike, but all to be under the control of Mrs. Boal until Montgomery, the younger, reaches his majority, unless when Theodore reaches his majority she shall choose to give him his share or a part of it. Mrs. Boal is named as executrix without bonds.

Contributed by Rita Timm, 1895 Denver

The Denver Post, Denver, Colo., 8 Feb 1963, page 28

Mrs. Verona B. Bock

Funeral services for Mrs. Verona B. Bock, Denver voice teacher, will be at 2 p. m. Friday at Emmaus Lutheran Church.  Burial will be in Crown Hill.

Mrs. Bock died Tuesday in her home at 3705 Raleigh st.  She was 46.

Born Nov. 1, 1916, in Nebraska, Mrs. Bock came to Denver in 1939 and was employed by Green Brothers Brokers.  She married Paul K. Bock July 20, 1942, in Denver.

Surviving in addition to her husband are three sons, JamesJohn, and Paul, all of Denver; her mother, Mrs. H. O. Bloch of Oak Park, Ill; four brothers, Waldemar of St. Paul, Minn., Norman of Oak Park, Ill., Victor of Long Beach, Calif., and Lorenz of Elgin, Ill., and a sister, Mrs. Charlotte Studtmann, of Villa Park, Ill.

Rocky Mountain News, Denver, Colo., 9 Feb 1963, page 125

Verona Bock

Services were Friday at Emmaus Lutheran Church for Mrs. Verona B. Bock, 46, of 3705 Raleigh St.  Burial was in Crown Hill.

She died Tuesday at her home.

Mrs. Bock was born in Nebraska, Nov. 1, 1916.  She was graduated from Bluehill, Neb., High School and a business college in Hastings, Neb.  She came to Denver in 1939.

Mrs. Bock was employed by the Green Bros. Brokers.  She was an organist for many years at Lutheran Sanitarium and was choir director at Wheat Ridge Lutheran Church.  She was also a private voice teacher for many years.

She was married to Paul K. Bock in Denver, July 20, 1942.

Survivors include her husband; three sons, JamesJohn and Paul, all living at home; her mother, Mrs. H. O. Bloch, Oak Park, Ill.; four brothers,Waldemar Bloch, St. Paul, Minn.; Norman Bloch, Oak park, Ill.; Victor Bloch, Long Beach, Calif.; and Lorenz Bloch, Elgin Ill.; and a sister, Mrs. Charlotte Studtmann, Villa Park, Ill.

Transcribed and contributed by Leona L. Gustafson
Gustafson-Wichmann Ancestry

BOSANKO, Dr. S. Arthur


Pneumonia Carries Off a Prominent Physician of Leadville

Special to The News

Rocky Mountain News, 11/24/1895

LEADVILLE, Colo., 11/23/1895--Dr. S. Arthur Bosanko died at his residence, 120 West Seventh Street, at 10:30 Saturday morning.  The sickness was contracted last Monday a week ago.  He was taken ill, but persisted in visiting his patients.  The following Wednesday the doctor contracted a bad cold which soon manifested symptoms of pneumonia.  He was prostrated and disconsolate, having a premonition of the outcome.  So strongly had this conviction taken hold of him that he made his will and gave to his friend, Dr. E. T. Boyd, explicit directions as to the details of his burial.  Dr. McDonald and Dr. Law were constant at his bedside and the best nurses of St. Vincent's Hospital were vigilant in their attention upon the sick physician.  Dr. Flake of Denver had been telegraphed for and arrived on Friday of last week, when Dr. Bosanke gained some encouragement and expressed some hope of recovery.  It was an extremely bad case of pneumonia, however, and the doctor finally succumbed.  He was but 39 years of age and had established a large practice here. He leaves a wife and a son aged 5 years. 

Contributed by Rita Timm, 1895 Denver

Daily News, Denver, Colo., July 9, 1902, page 14
Madame Bouchon, Pioneer of 'Sixty-Nine, Will Be Buried at Mt. Olivet Today.

(Original includes photo)

Mrs. Julie Bouchon, who died Monday at the residence of T. A. Hayes, 1046 Washington Avenue, was a well-known Colorado pioneer, and had many friends over the state. She came to Colorado in 1869, first to Denver and later moving to Pueblo. She returned to Denver about ten years ago, where she has lived ever since.

Madame Bouchon was born at Monestier du Percy, Isere, France, December 27, 1821, and was 81 years of age. When she left France in 1869 it was for the purpose of bringing her daughter, Marie to be married to the late Numa Vidal, then of Pueblo, and one of the best known men in the state. Mrs. Vidal died a few years later, leaving two little daughters, Louise  and Julia, to the care of her mother. Madame Bouchon's interest in her grandchildren was most constant, and when they grew to womanhood, Louise Vidal became Mrs. T. A. Hayes, and Julia Vidal married Robert Craig. After their marriages Madame Bouchon still exercised a most devoted solicitude over her granddaughters, and in fact her memory will be enshrined in the hearts of three generations. Mrs. Craig came from El Paso last Thursday, and will return home next week.

The funeral will be held this morning at 9:30 from the Logan Avenue Chapel, and interment will be at Mt. Olivet.  

(contributed by: Rita Timm, Colorado Clues

BOWE, Rush


Special to The News

Rocky Mountain News, 1/30/1895

CENTRAL CITY, Colo., Jan 29--Rush Bowe, a mining man of this city, died very suddenly last night at the residence of J. B. Hafer.  To all appearances he was in apparent good health.  His remains were taken in charge by the Masonic Lodge of this city of which order he was a member in good standing.  He was also of the Grand Army of the Republic, serving in the war of the rebellion in an Ohio regiment.  His remains will be shipped to Marion, Ohio, for interment, at which place his mother resides.  He was a man who had led an eventful life, having been engaged in mining in Colorado, New Mexico, Montana, and Australia.  When mustered out of the United States service he was but 15 years of age.  He represented Denver capital in this county. 

Contributed by Rita Timm, 1895 Denver

BROWN, James


Rocky Mountain News, 8/19/1895

BROWN--At the residence of his daughter, 37 Lincoln Avenue, James Brown, aged 76 years.  Father Brown has been a resident of Colorado since 1864.  For the past twelve years he has lived in this city.  He leaves behind him five daughters, Mrs. Sarah S. Wilson, Mrs. G. W. Drake, Mrs. W. E. Greenlee, Mrs. Lizzie James and Mrs. S. C. Brown, all residents of Denver.  The funeral will take place from the home of G. W. Drake, 87 Lincoln Avenue, August 20 at 2 o'clock.  Friends of the families are cordially invited.

Contributed by Rita Timm, 1895 Denver

Rocky Mountain News, Denver, Colorado, September 6, 1911 Page 1

Mrs. Sarah J. Brown, Old Denver Resident, Misses Century Mark Three Years.

Mrs. Sarah J. Brown, 97, died at the home of her son, J. O. Patterson, 246 South Lincoln Avenue, Saturday morning. Death was due to old age. Mrs. Brown came to Denver eighteen years ago from Norwalk, Ohio. She was born in Eastham, Mass., in 1814. When young she went with her parents to Ohio. It was necessary for them to cut timber to get through the woods. She was a pioneer of Ohio. Her son, James O. Patterson, is the only survivor. The body was taken to Norwalk last night for burial.  

Donated by: Rita Timm, Colorado Clues

The Denver Post, 10 Nov 1963
D. J. Buchanan

Services for David J. Buchanan, 1200 Ivy St., will be at Olinger Mortuary, Speer Blvd. and Sherman St., at 3 p. m. Tuesday. Entombment will be at Fairmount. Buchanan, who was 80, died Thursday in Swedish Hospital.

He was born in Donegal County, Ireland, May 17, 1883, and came to the United States in 1900, settling first in Chicago, then to Denver, in 1904. For 18 years he owned a grocery business at E. Virginia Ave. and S. Logan St., for 12 years operated South Denver Moving and Storage Co., and finally Buchanan Cafe until his retirement in 1940.

Buchanan was an ardent sportsman, particularly enjoying hunting and fishing.

He married Ruby Shepherd April 1, 1916. Survivors include his widow; a daughter, Mrs. Roberta Jones, Colorado Springs; two sisters, Mrs Adeline Ashley, Long Beach, Calif., and Mrs. Agnes Haines, Denver; two brothers, Leslie and George Buchanan, both of Denver, and three grandchildren. [Transcriber's note: George is of Chicago; he never lived in Denver.]

Memorial contributions may be made to the Cancer Fund.

Contributed by: Janice Buchanan (), 11 Nov 2001Colorado Clues


(see * Scoundrels "page under Pardons)

Rocky Mountain News, Denver, Colo., November 11, 1911 Page 4 Pioneers At Funeral Of Mrs. Buckman In Burlingame Home

Body of Old Resident Will be Cremated and Ashes Interred in Cemetery.

The funeral of Mrs. Anna Buckman, mother of Mrs. Alice Burlingame, was held yesterday afternoon from the residence of her daughter, 1259 York Street. Mrs. Buckman died Tuesday from a complication of diseases. She was 70 years old.

Mrs. Buckman was a member of the State Pioneer Society. She came to Colorado with her husband in 1860. The journey was made from Illinois in a wagon drawn by oxen. It took the couple three months to make the trip.

The couple settled in Central City. Mrs. Buckman lived there until the death of her husband, and then came to Denver, and has lived with her daughter since.

She is survived by her daughter and three grandchildren. Many of the pioneers attended the funeral services yesterday. The remains will be cremated.

Contributed by: Rita Timm, Colorado Clues

Rocky Mountain News, Denver, Colo., March 14, 1911 Page 5

Richard Burke, Civil War Veteran, Dies on a Visit Here.

Richard Burke, 70, a pioneer contractor of Colorado, died at St. Joseph's Hospital Sunday. Death was caused by heart trouble.

Burke had not been in business for ten years having been living in the Soldier's Home at Leavenworth, Kan. A short time ago he came to Denver to visit his daughter, Mrs. Julia Handy, when he became ill. 

He was well known in Fort Collins, Cripple Creek and the northern part of Colorado and was a member of the G. A. R. and Masons, who will have charge of the funeral.

Rocky Mountain News, Denver, Colo., March 16, 1911

Funeral Notice:
BURKE - March 12, 1911, in the seventieth year of his age, Richard Burke, father of Mrs. W. P. Handy and W. P. Burke of Denver, R. A. Burke of Cheyenne, Wyo.; M. W. Burke of National, Nev., and J. A. Burke of Tucson, Ariz. Funeral from Roger's Undertaking Parlors, 1550 Lincoln Street, Thursday, March 16, at 2 p.m. under auspices of the G.A.R. Members of the Masonic fratenity, O.E.S.L. of the G.A.R. and W.R.C. invited to attend. Interment Riverside.

Contributed by:  Rita Timm, Colorado Clues

Rocky Mountain News, Denver, Colo., June 28,1911 Page 5
Miss Ida M. Burley Dead

Resident of Colorado For 30 Years; Funeral This Afternoon.

Miss Ida M. Burley, a resident of Colorado for 30 years died at her home in the Corona Apartments last Sunday from heart trouble. She was a member of a family well known in Colorado. Her father, John Burley, settled in Durango in 1881, moving to Denver in 1890. 

Miss Burley is survived by three brothers, John W., of Salt Lake City, W. E., of California and George E. W., of New York City, three sisters, Mrs. F. H. ShoemakerMrs. John Knowles and Miss Emma Burley of Denver. Funeral services will be held at 2 o'clock this afternoon at the Corona Apartments.

Funeral Notice: 6/28/1911
BURLEY - Funeral services of the late Miss Ida M. Burley will be today, 2 p. m. from residence, 1028 East Colfax, interment Fairmount. 

(Contributed by: Rita Timm, Colorado Clues

Rocky Mountain News, Denver, Colo., December 30, 1911 Page 8
Emma J. Busby

Mrs. Busby Is Dead; Came to Denver 1880.

Was Taken Ill Six Weeks Ago and Severe Kidney And Heart Trouble Developed.

The funeral of Mrs. Frederic E. Busby, who died Wednesday, will take place from the family home, 1542 Gaylord Street. Interment will be at Fairmount.

Mrs. Busby was taken ill six weeks ago, her illness developing rapidly into a severe kidney and heart trouble. Her sufferings were intense, but she bore them bravely.

Emma J. Busby was born in New Haven, Conn., afterwards removing to New York, where she was married to Frederic E. Busby in 1869, and lived prior to coming to Denver in 1880 with her family.

She was a member of the First Baptist Church, and was noted for her charity work. She leaves as survivors, her husband, Frederic E. Busby, a daughter, Mrs. Willard B. Lay, and two sisters, Mrs. Fred V. Dare of New York, and Mrs. L. L. Higgins, of Chicago.

Rocky Mountain News, 12/30 & 12/31/1911
Death and Funeral Notices
BUSBY-- At residence, 1542 Gaylord, Dec 27, Emma J. Busby, wife of Frederic E. Busby. Funeral from family residence, Sunday 2:00 p. m., friends invited, interment Fairmount.
Contributed by: Rita Timm, 
Colorado Clues

Rocky Mountain News, Denver, July 12, 1904 Page 6


Well Known Insurance Man, Hastening to Denver on Account of Ill Health, Overtaken by the Grim Angel.

As he was returning to Denver on the Santa Fe train from the Pacific coast, which arrived at 9:50 o'clock yesterday morning, A. A. Butler, one of the best known insurance and businessmen of Denver, died before the train arrived at the Union depot. His remains were taken to his mother's home, 2087 Clarkson Street. Arrangements for the funeral await word from his wife, who is in Los Angeles with her son, and from his mother, who is in New York. 

Mr. Butler was about 35 years old, and was born in England. Since 1894 he was connected with the New York Life Insurance Company in various capacities in both New York and the West. He was also at one time identified with the Simonton Brothers & Butler, investment brokers, at Victor and Colorado Springs. He also at one time was the assistant manager for the general agency of the Equitable Life Insurance Company, with headquarters in Denver.

Mr. Butler sold his home here and last January left for Los Angeles to accept a still higher position with the Conservative. About a week ago he was stricken with a hemorrhage on the street in Los Angeles, and started immediately for Denver.

Mr. Butler was a member of Denver lodge of Elks, No. 17 and also of the local order of Masons. 

(Contributed by: Rita Timm, Colorado Clues