Makes 3 to 4 serving
1 lb (500g) spaghetti
• 6 oz (175g) thickly sliced bacon (I use 8 to 12 slices of thick, maple bacon)
• 2 cloves garlic, peeled
• 2 large eggs
• black pepper
• ½ cup (125ml) grated Parmigiana cheese, plus more to serve
2. Cut the bacon crosswise into
½-inch (1cm) pieces. Place in a skillet and cook for 2 minutes until
fat begins to render. Add whole cloves of garlic and cook another 3 to
5 minutes until the edges of the bacon just begin to crisp. Do not
overcook or bacon will not meld with pasta.
3. Meanwhile, break eggs into serving bowl and beat with a fork. Add a few grindings of pepper.
4. Remove garlic from bacon pan.
5. When pasta is cooked, drain well and immediately add to the beaten eggs. Mix thoroughly. The heat of the spaghetti will cook the eggs and turn them into a sauce. Add the bacon with the bacon fat (discard some of the fat, if you wish) and toss again. Add cheese and serve immediately with extra cheese. Add a few handfuls of fresh broccoli or peas if you'd like.