Nassau County FAQ & Quick Links

Office of the Nassau County Clerk
Breadcrumb Start YOU ARE HERE >Home/Nassau County Clerk Services/FAQ


Quick Links:
Land RecordsCourt RecordsReceiving/Judgement
Property Taxes & AssessmentNotary PublicName Changes
Marriage Certificates/Divorce RecordsBirth & Death CertificatesWills & Estates
Veterans Discharge PapersPassportsBusiness Filing

What are the address and hours of the Nassau County Clerk's Office?

The Nassau County Clerk's Office is located at 240 Old Country Road, Mineola. We are the blue building on the corner of Old Country Road and County Seat Drive. The Clerk's Office is open Monday through Friday from 9am to 4:30pm. To be sure that you have sufficient time to complete your business with the Clerk’s Office, please try to arrive no later than 4pm as we are unable to research or process any transactions after 4:30pm.

How can I change my Deed?

Unfortunately, you cannot change an existing deed. You need to file a new deed; the form can be purchased at a legal stationery store. While you can do this on your own, keep in mind that this is an important document, so if you have any questions you should consult an attorney. A deed packet, which basically outlines the requirements, is available upon request. If you are interested in receiving this packet, click here.

How can I obtain a Certificate of Residency for College?

The Nassau County Treasurer's Office handles Certificate of Residency forms. You can contact them at (516) 571-2090 or visit their website at:

How can I obtain a copy of my Survey, Title Report or Certificate of Occupancy (C.O.)?

The survey, title report and certificates of occupancy are not recorded documents and therefore, we do not maintain these records. In some instances, your town or incorporated village might have a copy of your survey. An independent company usually does a title report. You should contact them directly. For a list of towns, cities and incorporated villages, click here.

How can I obtain a list of foreclosures in Nassau County?

The Nassau County Clerk's Office does not compile, maintain or sell any lists. If you would like to research a specific property you may do so using the public access terminals in this office.

Where are foreclosure auctions held?

They are usually held on the steps of the Court House at 262 Old Country Road in Mineola.

When are the foreclosure auctions held?

We suggest you check the newspapers or the lobby of 240 Old Country Road for public notices.

I paid my mortgage, when do I get my deed?

You get your deed when you close on your house (purchased your house). Your satisfaction (paying off the mortgage) has nothing to do with your deed.

Why do I have to pay to record this document?

State and County law require fees to be paid.

Are recording fees tax deductible?

No, but it's best to consult with your accountant.

Is there any way to find out if my document was received in the mail?

Unfortunately no. We do not keep a daily log of incoming mail.

Why must I record this Power of Attorney, Satisfaction, Deed, etc.?

If you are transferring property, mortgaging or refinancing, it will be necessary to have these documents recorded for title search.

Shouldn't the bank pay for this Satisfaction?

That would depend on the Bank's policy.

Can I get my recording fees back from the Bank?

You would have to speak with your bank.

Can someone help me fill out this Deed and the accompanying forms?

We are a clerical staff - not attorneys. You must present us with a document that is all ready to be recorded. We can only tell you if the document is in recordable form. If you do not have an attorney, you may wish to contact the Nassau County Bar Association's Lawyer Referral service at (516) 747-4832 or visit the website.

Must I fill out all these forms just to change the name of my Deed?

Any changes made to a deed, require that a new deed and New York States forms are presented for recording.

Do you accept Debit or Credit Cards?

No, we can only accept cash or personal checks over $30.00.

Are there any liens against my property?

To check if there are any liens, get your Section, Block and Lot number off your most current tax bill and visit the County Clerk's Office. - Property can be searched by the Section, Block and Lot number on any of the public access computers.

What liens am I responsible for when I bid on a property?

We are unable to give legal advice, so we suggest that you speak to an attorney.

I was told I had to replace my old underground oil tank. Isn't the County or Town responsible for its removal?

For information on replacing underground tanks, contact the Nassau County Health Department - Bureau of Environmental Protection.

How can I find out if an oil tank was removed from the house I am purchasing? Does the County Clerk's office list that as public information?

The County Clerk's public records do not include this information. However, the information is available through the Nassau County Health Department.

What kind of map filings are obtained at the Clerks Office?

The map room maintains maps of every section, block and lot in Nassau County. Condominium, Co-op and Wetlands maps are also available.

Back To Top


Do you provide forms for filing?

You can download the form for purchasing an Index Number, an RJI (Request for Judicial Intervention)Satisfaction of Judgment(including Partial Satisfaction) and Small Claims Assessment Review Petitions directly from our website, however, we do not provide forms for "Summons/Complaint".

Am I required to file an RJI for my case?

Requirements vary by case; determination is made by the submitter. Please noteWe are prohibited from offering legal advice, so please consult your attorney.

What is the fee for an RJI and how many copies are required?

To find the current fee for RJI's click here. You are required to have 1-original and 1-copy for the Court or 1-original and 2-copies if a stamped copy is required.

Can I take an RJI directly to Court?

Yes, if accompanying papers (e.g. Motion) are included.

Can the County Clerk's Office send my RJI to the Court?

Yes, we can forward the paperwork the next business day.

How can I locate the Index Number that I purchased?

The Index Number is indicated as "Ref#" on your receipt.

How can I obtain documents for court?

To obtain documents you must come to the Clerk's Office Document Room (Room 106) and submit a requisition form. Documents for actions commenced in recent years are maintained at the Clerk's Office in Room 106. Prior years are stored off premises at our Record Center and usually take 3-5 business days to retrieve. The Document Room is open (Monday, Wednesday, Friday 9:00 A.M.- 3:30 P.M., Tuesday and Thursday 9:00 A.M.- 4:30). NO ORIGINAL DOCUMENTS LEAVE THE PREMISES.`

Do you accept credit cards?

No, we do not.


How should motion papers be filed?

Please click here for information on filing motion papers

Back To Top


Does the County Clerk offer legal advice?

No. The County Clerk is a filing office and is not permitted to provide legal advice or any type of legal assistance. You must retain counsel with any legal questions you may have regarding New York State law or legal procedure.

What is a mechanics' lien?

A mechanics' lien is a statutory lien that secures payment for labor or materials supplied in permanently improving, repairing, or maintaining real property. It is generally utilized by contractors ,subcontractors, laborers, suppliers, etc. The filing of a mechanics' lien becomes a lien on an individual's real property.

How long is a mechanics' lien good for?

A mechanics' lien is good for one (1) year unless within that time an action is commenced to foreclose the lien, or an extension of such lien is filed.

How can somebody file a mechanics' lien against my property and why did the County Clerk accept it?

So long as the notice of lien complies with the requirements of Article 2 of the NYS Lien Law, the County Clerk is required by law to file same.

How do I get a mechanics' lien off my real property?

If you dispute the filing of a mechanics' lien, you should immediately contact an attorney.

What is a UCC?

The term UCC is short for Uniform Commercial Code. The Code provides a uniform and easily available set of rules for the conduct of commercial transactions responsive to modern business conditions and needs. An original Financing Statement (UCC1) is filed with the County Clerk if the collateral is as-extracted collateral or timber to be cut; or a fixture for filing and the collateral is goods that are or are to become fixtures; or a cooperative interest. Financing Statements covering all other types of collateral are filed with the Department of State.

What is the fee for a UCC?

The fee for filing a UCC document in Nassau County is $115, plus $75 for each additional block after the first.

Why are UCC fees non-refundable?

Pursuant to Section 96-a of the NYS Executive Law, fees submitted at the time UCC documents are presented for filing are referred to as processing fees and are payable upon review of the documents. The fee is paid whether or not the documents are accepted for filing.

How do I file a separation agreement?

The fee to file a separation agreement is $5. The original document must be submitted with original signatures and proper acknowledgments. One of the parties must reside in Nassau County.

What is a notice of pendency (also called "lis pendens" or "LP")?

A notice of pendency is filed to provide notice to the public that certain real property is the subject matter of litigation, and that any interests acquired during the pendency of the lawsuit are subject to the outcome of the litigation. It does not create a lien or an encumbrance on real property.

Is there a fee to cancel a notice of pendency?

Yes. LP's are filed against Section, Block and Lot. If the LP was filed against one block, the fee to cancel is $10; add $10 for each additional block after the first.

Are there different types of judgments?

There are several different types of judgments. The fees are as follows:

Judgment,Assignment- No Fee

Judgment, Issue Certificate of Disposition- $5.00

Judgment, Confession- No Fee

Judgment, Issue Execution- $5.00

Can the County Clerk help me file a judgment?

No. The County Clerk's office is a filing office and does not provide legal advice. It is strongly recommended you seek legal counsel when filing or pursuing a judgment as you do not want to jeopardize your legal rights.

When I submit a judgment, how many copies must I submit?

Only the original judgment is required for filing.

Is there a fee for filing a judgment?

Yes, to file a default judgment there is a fee of $45. To file a transcript of judgment there is a fee of $10.

Does the County Clerk's office conform copies of judgments?

No, the County Clerk does not conform copies. If you wish to obtain a copy of your entered judgment, you must send a self addressed stamped envelope along with the appropriate copy/certified copy fee.

How do I satisfy a judgment?

If there is a judgment pending against you, you must either negotiate a settlement with the judgment creditor, or seek to have the judgment vacated through the Nassau County Supreme Court if you dispute the judgment entirely.

If you have paid money to the judgment creditor to fully or partially satisfy the judgment, it is imperative you obtain a "Satisfaction of Judgment" from the judgment creditor. Although you have paid off the judgment, the judgment will not be marked "satisfied" until a satisfaction has been filed with the County Clerk. The satisfaction form may be obtained from a legal stationery store, an attorney, or downloaded from the County Clerk's website. The satisfaction of judgment must be signed and properly acknowledged by the judgment creditor. The original satisfaction must be filed with the County Clerk and it must include the following information: Nassau Supreme index number, parties, date judgment signed by judge, amount of original judgment, date filed with County Clerk, docket book and page number where judgment is docketed. It should also state whether the judgment has been "wholly" satisfied or "partially" satisfied.

Is there a fee to file a Satisfaction of Judgment?

There is no fee to file a satisfaction.

Once I satisfy a judgment with the County Clerk, how do I notify the credit reporting agency(ies)?

Once a Satisfaction of Judgment has been filed, you must obtain a "Certificate of Disposition of Judgment" or "CDJ" from the County Clerk. Upon payment of a fee of $5, the County Clerk will provide you with an original CDJ. You should retain the original CDJ for your records and mail copies to the credit reporting agencies. The CDJ is official proof that the judgment has been satisfied.

Back to Top


How can I find out information regarding my taxes?

The Receivers of Taxes for the three towns and two cities in Nassau maintain tax information. For a list of the Towns and Cities,click here.

How do I find out information regarding my taxes that are delinquent?

For information regarding delinquent taxes, you should contact the Nassau County Treasurer. The Treasurer's Office is located at One West Street, 1st Floor, Mineola. They can be contacted at (516) 571-2090.

How do I obtain information regarding Nassau County Tax Lien Sales?

The Nassau County Treasurer's Office handles Tax Lien Sales. You can contact them at (516) 571-2090 or visit their website

How can I obtain information on my property assessment?

Information on the assessment of your property can be found through the Nassau County Department of Assessment. They are located at 240 Old Country Road, Mineola. For more information, contact them at (516) 571-3442.

How can I obtain information on the STAR Program?

Any property tax exemption program is run by the Department of Assessment. For more information contact them directly at (516) 571-3442 or visit

Back to Top



Subpages (1): Nassau County Promo 2013