Pissaladiere – Onion Foccacia from Provencal – adapted from Barefoot Contessa
Topping – enough for one half-sheet (13 x 18)
¼ C olive oil
2 lbs yellow onions, sliced ¼” thick
1 T fresh thyme leaves
1 & ½ t kosher salt
½ t freshly ground pepper
2 whole cloves garlic
12 – 18 anchovy fillets
12 French olives, oil cured or whatever you like, halved
- Heat oil in a very large sauté pan and cook the onions, thyme, s & p, and garlic over low heat for about 45 minutes - stirring occasionally - until the onions are sweet and cooked but not brown.
- After 30 minutes, take out the garlic, chop roughly, and add it back to the onions. When they are done, remove from heat and let cool to almost room temp.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Top foccacia dough with onion mixture.
- Make a criss-cross pattern of the anchovy fillets; dot with olive halves
- Bake about 20 minutes or until done