Broccoli Puree with Crème Fraiche – Silver Palate
Note: I often adapt this recipe to the amount of broccoli I have on hand and adjust other ingredients accordingly; i.e.; I often reduce the amount of crème fraiche.
4 big stalks broccoli (3 lbs), trimmed and chopped, including stems
1 Cup crème fraiche
4 T sour cream
2/3 Cup freshly grated parmesan
½ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Salt to taste
2 T sweet butter
- Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil; salt.
- Chop broccoli, leaving several flowerets whole to decorate top of dish. Drop broccoli into boiling water.
- Cook just until tender, about 8 minutes, but test earlier.
- Transfer broccoli, reserving flowerets, to a food processor. Add crème fraiche and puree thoroughly.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Scrape puree into a large bowl. Stir in sour cream, parmesan, nutmeg, pepper and salt to taste. Mix well.
- Mound in ovenproof serving dish, dot with butter and bake in preheated oven for 35 minutes or until puree is steaming hot.
- Garnish with reserved flowerets and serve immediately.