- 231.5 million eligible voters
- 138.9 million voted ~ 60%
- ~ 63 million voted for Trump
- ~ 27.2% of elligible voters voted for Trump (~ 28.4% voted for Clinton)
- 27.2% is not a mandate!
If you have to label me, I'm more liberal than conservative, although, I'm PO'd at all the major political parties. Too often, I find myself voting for what I consider the lesser of the evils, but at least I'm voting...
All tax returns, & no tweets!
2016 Presidential Election
2016-11-09: And the "winner" is....Nobody.
The United States has officially declared the earth flat again.
Changes in our federal government I'd like to see:
- Simplified tax code for all, including eliminating most, if not all, deductions -- A sliding, increasing scale right up the ladder from individuals to the largest corporations. Perhaps salaries (with an upper limit on exec. salaries; who really needs or deserves a million dollars per year?) could be a legitimate deduction, thereby reducing a business' tax load, while increasing employees' earnings that they turn around and put back into the economy by spending.
- No riders on proposed legislation -- If necessary, create citizen/non-partisan based committees to rule whether a rider is legitimately directly connected to the initially proposed legislation.
- Challenge "Citizens United" until it's dead. I am not a business, nor is a business me; I am a human being, with inherent rights no business should have.
- Campaign finance reform -- The current system allows business, including foreign entities, to control this country.
- One citizen = one vote; screw this delegate crap and voting districts.
- Change our focus to rebuild our ailing infrastructure. Think of the jobs this could create.
- Do more to get off of fossel fuels. Global warming is real, it's accelerating, and it's likely beyond the point of stopping; however, for those who argue it's costly, renewable energy sources offer a great deal of economic value. Think of what automobiles did; in Michigan, the primary economic before autos were lumber and mining. Michigan reinvented itself and became the automobile capital of the world (corporate greed prevented it from staying that way). The U.S. has sat on its past, cheering its successes, and falling behind in lots of areas while other countries made advances and have moved ahead.
- It's time to remove the electoral college & go with a popular vote, i.e., one person = one vote.
The Presidential elections process is a political sideshow, where soundbites bury substance, and insults rule over discourse.
Capitalism does not equal democracy.
- Capitalism: An economic system based on private ownership of the means of production and the creation of goods and services for profit. That profit is now concentrated in the few rather than the many, and it controls government.
- Democracy: A system of government in which power is vested in the people, who rule either directly or through freely elected representatives. The United States is now controlled by capitalism, not by democracy.
- Capitalism or Socialism? There's an Even Better Option
This person's the type of government official we need more of:
"Orwell feared that what we hate would ruin us.
Huxley feared that what we love will ruin us."
- Neil Postman, Amusing Ourselves to Death: Public Discourse in the Age of Show Business