Slice the fennel at the last minute or it will turn brown.
Feeds 1-2 with some dressing left over.
- 1 shallot, diced
- 1/2 anchovy plus a little of the oil, finely chopped (optional)
- 1/2 meyer lemon (or regular lemon), juice plus zest
- 1 teaspoon white wine or champagne vinegar
- 1 tablespoon capers with some of the juice
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard (I always use creamy Grey Poupon)
- about 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (a strong olive oil works well here)
- 10-12 stalks of asparagus, peeled up to the base of the tip AND thinly sliced on an angle
- 1 medium-sized head of fennel, very thinly sliced (paper thin with mandoline if possible)
- a few sprigs of fennel fronds, coarsely chopped or torn
- 20 or so strips of piave cheese (or parmesan), very thinly sliced (works well with a vegetable peeler)
- crunchy salt
Place shallot and anchovy (if using) in a bowl. Add lemon juice + zest, vinegar, capers + juice, and set
aside for 10 minutes. Add mustard. Slowly whisk in olive oil. Taste.
Add a bit more of whatever flavor is lacking. Maybe more lemon, or
anchovy or olive oil. Set aside. It will keep for a week in the fridge.
Combine asparagus, fennel, and fennel fronds. Add salt and pepper. Toss with some of the vinaigrette. Taste. This salad absorbs a lot of dressing so be prepared to add more. Sprinkle cheese over the top and gently toss once more. Serve immediately.
DASH AND BELLA