- 2/3 c. brown rice
- 1 1/2 c. vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1 med. onion, diced
- 1 med. green pepper, diced
- 1 med. carrot, peeled and diced
- 4 oz. diced green chilies
- 2 cooked boneless, skinless chicken breasts, diced
- 3/4 t. cumin
- 1/2 t. salt
- 3 dashes of cayenne pepper (if you don't like spice omit this all together, or use 1 dash)
- 3/4 c. jarred or homemade fresh salsa (I use this recipe for the salsa and substitute 1/4 t. THM Sweet Blend for the sugar. Whatever salsa you use, just make sure it has NO added sugar.)
- 15 oz. black beans, drained and rinsed
- mozzarella cheese
- Mix rice and stock in a pot, cover and bring to a boil. Turn down to a low simmer and cook until tender, about 40 minutes.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a 9x13 pan.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion, green peppers, carrots and green chilies to the pan and sauté until the onion is tender. Add in the chicken and the spices. Stir to combine. Turn off the heat and add the cooked rice and beans to the mixture. Stir and make sure it is completely combined. Adjust seasoning if needed.
- Place mixture in the greased 9x13 pan. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Serve and top with just a pinch of mozzarella cheese.