- 1 T. olive oil or butter
- (1) medium onion, diced
- (2) large carrots, peeled and diced
- (1) medium zucchini, diced
- (2) cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 c. of vegetable (or chicken) broth
- 2 c. of water
- 14 oz. can of diced tomatoes
- (2) 15 oz. cans of Great Northern or cannellini beans
- 1 T. Italian seasoning
- 1 1/2 t. salt
- 1/2 t. black pepper
- bay leaf
- 3 dashes of red pepper flakes (if you don't like spice then just omit)
- 3 handfuls of spinach leaves
- In a large pot heat the oil or butter over medium heat. Add the onion, carrots and zucchini and sauté until the onion is translucent, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for 2 minutes more.
- Add the broth, water, tomatoes, beans and seasonings to the pot. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to medium low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Put the spinach in the pot and continue to simmer for 10 minutes. Serve.