- 1 T. olive oil
- 1 c. brown rice, uncooked
- 1 small red OR white onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 c. water
- 10.5 oz. can of diced tomatoes with chilies ~ mild, original or hot (i.e. Rotel)
- 2 T. chili powder ***This makes a medium-hot level of spice, if you want a mild level of spice use 2 t. of chili powder.
- 1 t. salt
- green onions, optional for garnish
- Heat the oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Add the onion, green pepper and rice and cook, stirring frequently, until the onions are translucent.
- Add the water, tomatoes, chili powder and salt and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium low, cover and let simmer until rice is done (about 40-45 minutes).
- Top with sliced green onions if desired.